Started by CountDeMoney, November 12, 2016, 05:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

It's sold out, and fuck you.

QuoteNES Classic sells out everywhere, crashes Amazon
THE CHRONICLE HERALD
Published November 12, 2016 - 2:04pm
Last Updated November 12, 2016 - 2:23pm

If you were hoping to snag one of the first NES Classics as a retro Christmas gift to yourself or a friend, you can join the mass disappoint in Nintendo being voiced across social media platforms today.

This miniature version of the original Nintendo Entertainment System — that comes with one controller and 30 pre-installed games at a ridiculously cheap price tag of about $60— sold out in every store and then proceeded to crash Amazon's website.

Nintendo Switch is set to be released in March 2017, but the Internet is coming down hard on Nintendo for not anticipating the high demand for this low priced nostalgia, which begs the question of whether or not a similar situation will occur come spring.

Nintendo of  America (@nintendoamerica) announced on Twitter "there will be a steady flow of additional systems through the holiday shopping season and into the new year." All frustrations aside, when something can't be kept on shelves or crashes websites it most definitely creates a buzz.

As a member of the 8-bit generation that had no other choice, all these retro-hipster fucktards that weren't even born that want to forsake the technological marvels of today's gaming for the condescending embrace of yesteryear can all kiss my ass. 
NEVER GO BACK

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

I had no idea this thing was coming out until I read these stories of sellouts.
I don't get it. Emulators have been around for years. Plenty of consoles doing the same thing without much fuss too
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 12, 2016, 05:40:39 PM
30 games for 60 bucks?! Does it have Kid Icarus?

That is one of the 30, yes.  Tecmo Bowl too.

But not Pro Wrestling.  :mad: :mad: :mad:

CountDeMoney

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tyr on November 12, 2016, 05:50:15 PM
I had no idea this thing was coming out until I read these stories of sellouts.
I don't get it. Emulators have been around for years. Plenty of consoles doing the same thing without much fuss too

My PC or Phone emulator does not convey the feeling of playing it with a the original controller in front of a TV nor can I share it with my kids.

I tried to buy one, failed.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

OttoVonBismarck

Think I got my NES in late high school, fucking amazing at the time. Considering I've revisited all the cool games for nostalgia sake on illegal emulators or the Wii U console or various legal anthologies (like Mega Man for Xbox), no interest in this iteration.

Barrister

I was going to buy one for my kids.  I don't really want to get them a modern console just yer, but thought this would be an amusing diversion.

But I'm not waiting in line or going to order one at an excessive price on ebay.  Screw that.

I'm slightly of one mind to just go out and buy a real NES and a handful of games for roughly the same price...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadBurgerMaker

The Wii allows you to download old NES, SNES, and N64 games.  There's also an SNES type controller you can get for it. 

Ancient Demon

Not sure why this only includes 30 games. Surely they could fit the entire NES library on it.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Syt

Quote from: Ancient Demon on November 12, 2016, 11:12:00 PM
Not sure why this only includes 30 games. Surely they could fit the entire NES library on it.

Licensing, maybe? But I feel they missed out by not including a memory card slot.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 12, 2016, 10:32:51 PM
Think I got my NES in late high school, fucking amazing at the time. Considering I've revisited all the cool games for nostalgia sake on illegal emulators or the Wii U console or various legal anthologies (like Mega Man for Xbox), no interest in this iteration.

I've grown tired of attempting to revisit the trappings of my childhood, and finding myself disappointed.  Stuff like the NES is better left to memories.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 12, 2016, 11:46:49 PM
I've grown tired of attempting to revisit the trappings of my childhood, and finding myself disappointed.  Stuff like the NES is better left to memories.

Games like Zelda, Super Mario Bros 3, and Forsaken (multiplayer) still hold up pretty well.  They're just fun.

E:  Forsaken is seriously good shit in multiplayer.  Play as Foetoid and drop a titan on someone after you chase them into a dead end.  That absolutely rules.  They can see it coming and can't do a damn thing about it.  Beautiful. 

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son