Your long national nightmare has just begun

Started by CountDeMoney, November 09, 2016, 07:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Savonarola on November 10, 2016, 09:20:58 PM
My parents are... :unsure:... Gerald Ford Republicans; as far as such a thing can exist anymore.  Anyhow they are clearly appalled by Donald Trump; and while they were not at all happy to vote for Hil, they did it.  (Not that she won Michigan despite that.)

My parents are Eisenhower Republicans (were not early enough to vote for him but really liked Ike) and have been loyal to the GOP since.  Trump tested them, but they reluctantly voted for him.  I'm the black sheep in the family-- probably the first person in my immediate family not to vote for the GOP guy in a general election.  My sister in law was headed in the Hillary direction but we think at the last minute she shifted and voted Trump.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

My parents are... :unsure:... Gerald Ford Republicans; as far as such a thing can exist anymore.  Anyhow they are clearly appalled by Donald Trump; and while they were not at all happy to vote for Hil, they did it.  (Not that she won Michigan despite that.)

Dad is a Nixon Republican;  liked Reagan and Poppy Bush, but went with Clinton in '92;  was behind McCain right up until he picked his running mate, but has really been turned off by the GOP's marriage to Big Religion.  Singularly disgusted by Trump.

Mom used to be a Goldwater Girl, but has been a single-issue voter since Roe v Wade, left the party and the Catholic Church, and is probably whipping up mazel tov cocktails with AVENGE HILLARY written on them as we speak. 

Last I heard, Dad said the TV hasn't been on since Tuesday night.

Solmyr

Ben Carson in charge of education? Lol wut?

katmai

Nothing so important, just Health and Human services. :lol:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Martinus

Quote from: Solmyr on November 11, 2016, 05:38:28 AM
Ben Carson in charge of education? Lol wut?

Ok, now I think the Chinese sponsored Trump.  :lol:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on November 11, 2016, 05:48:35 AM
Nothing so important, just Health and Human services. :lol:

At least we won't have to worry about vaccines and stuff.

Maladict

Quote from: dps on November 10, 2016, 04:07:27 PM

Anyway, yeah, he looks tired, but OTOH, President Obama doesn't look 15 years younger than President-Elect Trump, either.

That's what seeing 8 years of hard work being shit on and flushed away does to you.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Maladict on November 11, 2016, 08:10:00 AM
Quote from: dps on November 10, 2016, 04:07:27 PM

Anyway, yeah, he looks tired, but OTOH, President Obama doesn't look 15 years younger than President-Elect Trump, either.

That's what seeing 8 years of hard work being shit on and flushed away does to you.
Hell 70 years of hard work.
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Quote from: derspiess on November 10, 2016, 09:36:46 PM

My parents are Eisenhower Republicans (were not early enough to vote for him but really liked Ike) and have been loyal to the GOP since.  Trump tested them, but they reluctantly voted for him.  I'm the black sheep in the family-- probably the first person in my immediate family not to vote for the GOP guy in a general election.  My sister in law was headed in the Hillary direction but we think at the last minute she shifted and voted Trump.

I never understood these political families, from generation to generation, always voting the same, no questions asked.

My own family was pretty divided between Liberal Party supporters and Parti Québécois supporters; prior to that, Liberal and Union Nationale (Conservative at the Federal level) (an actually, they simply said "Red" and "Blue" in the times of my grandfather, no matter the name of the party).  My Grandfather was a pure Liberal, he only hesitated once, when the Liberal Party had a female candidate for our riding.  His own family was pretty divided between Liberals and Union Nationale.  I remember my dad often telling me he went to parade at his uncle place with his dad, after he lost the elections.  They were almost thrown out at gunpoint.  And that uncle's sons, one of them is Liberal, the other is Parti Québécois.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

derspiess

Thing is, my family, despite the uniformity (which extends to both sides of my family and includes all my aunts, uncles, & cousins*), is not really *that* political.  We rarely discuss politics, even during election campaigns.  I doubt it would be a big deal if there if there were some difference in opinion.

*I have one cousin who became a bleeding heart liberal, but we still get along great.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 10, 2016, 09:52:41 PM

Dad is a Nixon Republican;  liked Reagan and Poppy Bush, but went with Clinton in '92;  was behind McCain right up until he picked his running mate, but has really been turned off by the GOP's marriage to Big Religion.  Singularly disgusted by Trump.

Son?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on November 11, 2016, 11:06:23 AM
Son?

People find it difficult to believe I was once a College Republican and worked the Chavez senate campaign.  But to paraphrase the Gipper I didn't leave the Republican Party, the Republican Party left me.

Edit: wrong year, that was '86.  I'm so old.

celedhring

Quote from: derspiess on November 11, 2016, 10:42:47 AM
Thing is, my family, despite the uniformity (which extends to both sides of my family and includes all my aunts, uncles, & cousins*), is not really *that* political.  We rarely discuss politics, even during election campaigns.  I doubt it would be a big deal if there if there were some difference in opinion.

Not much to talk if you all more or less agree on. My family is extremely diverse (from my commie half-cousin to my - literally - fascist grandpa, going through leftists and conservatives from all shapes and colors), and we talk incessantly about politics during family meetings.

viper37

Quote from: derspiess on November 11, 2016, 10:42:47 AM
When everyone agrees, it's hard to discuss. ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

derspiess

Quote from: celedhring on November 11, 2016, 11:35:25 AM
Not much to talk if you all more or less agree on. My family is extremely diverse (from my commie half-cousin to my - literally - fascist grandpa, going through leftists and conservatives from all shapes and colors), and we talk incessantly about politics during family meetings.

What I'm saying is that at least in my immediate family, knowing us it would not be a big deal if someone disagreed.  We'd still talk about other stuff.