News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on January 06, 2021, 03:18:37 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 06, 2021, 02:54:47 PM
CNN is reporting that the National Guard has not yet intervened because the Defence Department has not yet authorized the change of mission

DoD doesn't have any authority over the Guard unless the Guard has been taken into national service.  I don't believe that that is the case for the DC Guard.  The mayor can deploy them.

Edit:  I was incorrect.  The DC Guard uniquely is part of the federal government.  The Mayor can only use them with permission from SecArmy (delegated from president).

Your edit makes sense given the reporting.  So the question comes back to how there was a complete failure at the DoD

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on January 06, 2021, 03:29:11 PM
Unbelievable. Seems like the building has been surrendered to a few hundred lunatics.

Indeed it has been. Hate to say I told you so, but...
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Solmyr

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 06, 2021, 03:31:47 PM
CNN is reporting that the National Guard has not yet intervened because the Defence Department has not yet authorized the change of mission

DoD doesn't have any authority over the Guard unless the Guard has been taken into national service.  I don't believe that that is the case for the DC Guard.  The mayor can deploy them.

Edit:  I was incorrect.  The DC Guard uniquely is part of the federal government.  The Mayor can only use them with permission from SecArmy (delegated from president).

Your edit makes sense given the reporting.  So the question comes back to how there was a complete failure at the DoD

Or was it? I mean, DoD takes orders from Trump.

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 06, 2021, 03:31:47 PM

Failure to go against the Commander-in-Chief?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

katmai

Um the new folks Trump put in right after election?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Watching recorded footage of a single guard/police officer (black, incidentally) trying to hold back a crowd from getting deeper into the building, but of course he couldn't and he was chased up a floor into a room where 3 of his colleagues came to his aid.

Tamas

One person confirmed shot inside Capitol. Virginia National Guard enroute to D.C.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 06, 2021, 03:29:42 PM
I'm a little surprised there are no reports of journalists from the fake news media being attacked or even verbally abused.

1 CNN reporter & 1 NBC reporter said they were surrounded once people realized who they were. Saw it on the air.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

FunkMonk

Virginia NG coming to the aid of Congress because Donald won't allow the DC Guard to be activated.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

katmai

I stayed up late (like 7am est) watching Georgia election results, so just woke up to this shit show going on in my Capitol. :(
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

From WaPo:

QuoteEntire D.C. National Guard to be activated following breach of Capitol
By Dan Lamothe
The entire D.C. National Guard will be activated within hours, putting 1,100 guardsmen on duty after protesters supporting outgoing President Donald Trump breached the Capitol.

The rapid expansion of military involvement came after Mayor Muriel E. Bowser (D) requested that guardsmen already on duty be sent to the Capitol, said the defense official and a District official, speaking on the condition of anonymity due the sensitivity of the issue.

Defense officials, who have been resistant to getting dragged into politics, initially offered instead to replace police in other capacity, allowing more law enforcement to respond at the Capitol, the defense official said.

Before Wednesday afternoon, the Pentagon had sought to keep the military response to pro-Trump protests small, still smarting from outcry to a much larger military response in June to protests in the District following the police killing of George Floyd. Defense officials had activated 340 D.C. guardsmen, with 170 on duty at a time.

—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on January 06, 2021, 03:41:06 PM
From WaPo:

QuoteEntire D.C. National Guard to be activated following breach of Capitol
By Dan Lamothe
The entire D.C. National Guard will be activated within hours, putting 1,100 guardsmen on duty after protesters supporting outgoing President Donald Trump breached the Capitol.

The rapid expansion of military involvement came after Mayor Muriel E. Bowser (D) requested that guardsmen already on duty be sent to the Capitol, said the defense official and a District official, speaking on the condition of anonymity due the sensitivity of the issue.

Defense officials, who have been resistant to getting dragged into politics, initially offered instead to replace police in other capacity, allowing more law enforcement to respond at the Capitol, the defense official said.

Before Wednesday afternoon, the Pentagon had sought to keep the military response to pro-Trump protests small, still smarting from outcry to a much larger military response in June to protests in the District following the police killing of George Floyd. Defense officials had activated 340 D.C. guardsmen, with 170 on duty at a time.

Yes, but on whose side?

Admiral Yi