News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

My mom is 82 this sunday and only sends me anti-trump memes that my aunt has shared.  I feel left out  :(
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on October 19, 2020, 11:36:01 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2020, 11:21:27 AM
Quote from: Barrister on October 19, 2020, 11:20:43 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 19, 2020, 11:03:58 AM
Is your dad on social media? That's the most likely culprit.

Not as far as I know.  I even double-checked Facebook and Twitter - nothing.

It is the 21st century. Political talking points will get to you one way or the other.

Yeah - I'd put it down to second hand social media.  Probably one of his buddies is on social media and gets the talking points and then talks to my dad about them.

One curious thing though: our conversation was pretty brief because I didn't want to argue with my dad about another country's politics.  But he asked me why I wasn't supporting Trump since I was a conservative.  I said I still am a conservative, but I'm a Never Trump conservative.  He'd never heard of the term.

As I think about it, my dad isn't on social media, but I think he does watch a lot of Youtube...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 19, 2020, 01:07:04 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2020, 11:24:02 AM
I had no idea they were even getting to Canadian dads. I have to hand it to the Republicans, they know how to appeal to their target demographic.

Somewhere is Estonia some middle aged professional visits his parents and has to endure a ten minute rant about the deep state from his dad.

My best friend is first generation Estonian* - his dad did exactly that  :lol:

*I am not actually sure how to count generations - he was the first generation to be born here. 

Just goes to show that if you are an elderly white man somewhere in the world, the Republican Party is going to get to you. You don't even need to speak English or have ever visited the United States before.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

Luckily my father is not on any kind of social media or he'd be unbearable. His online drug of choice is the comments section in news pieces.  :bleeding:

My mom is on Twitter but not really active on it. For her it's all about WhatsApp.

PDH

Mom is a WhatsApp terror - she will start new chats with the same exact group of people that are in 20 other chats.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on October 19, 2020, 10:58:54 AM
So I was talking with my dad on the phone yesterday.  He mentioned watching the news so I asked him what he thought of Trump.  I knew he was Trump-friendly before, but he's 100% on board the Trump train.  That he liked Trump wasn't a surprise, but that he went over the Trump talking points right away: that Biden was too old, that Biden was corrupt, and he even mentioned the Hunter Biden story.

My dad lives in Canada.  We don't get Fox News.  Where does he even get this stuff?
Fox News is available on Bell, Videotron, Cogeco and Telus.  I'm pretty sure Shaw has it too.
Lots of people watch Fox News over here.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: The Brain on October 19, 2020, 11:42:29 AM
There is no inheritance tax in Sweden. :)
you have 101% tax rate as you're living, I guess that's enough :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on October 19, 2020, 01:54:07 PM
So I was talking with my dad on the phone yesterday.  He mentioned watching the news so I asked him what he thought of Trump.  I knew he was Trump-friendly before, but he's 100% on board the Trump train.  That he liked Trump wasn't a surprise, but that he went over the Trump talking points right away: that Biden was too old, that Biden was corrupt, and he even mentioned the Hunter Biden story.

My dad lives in Canada.  We don't get Fox News.  Where does he even get this stuff?
Fox News is available on Bell, Videotron, Cogeco and Telus.  I'm pretty sure Shaw has it too.

Yeah, it is part of the news package beyond basic cable.  I assumed BB meant his dad only has basic cable.

viper37

For the Canadians who missed SNL this weekend, they had a great clip about the Trump-Biden town halls :D

I really, really like Kate McKinnon :D
"Supreme badass Savannah Guthrie"  :D
https://watch.globaltv.com/shows/global/32666571/saturday-night-live

Americans, just stick to your elitist NBC that dislikes foreigners, even those with a VPN.   <_<

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 19, 2020, 01:59:46 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 19, 2020, 01:54:07 PM

Yeah, it is part of the news package beyond basic cable.  I assumed BB meant his dad only has basic cable.
that makes sense :)

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on October 19, 2020, 01:15:48 PM
Luckily my father is not on any kind of social media or he'd be unbearable. His online drug of choice is the comments section in news pieces.  :bleeding:

My mom is on Twitter but not really active on it. For her it's all about WhatsApp.
Thankfully my dad sticks to the traditional elderly man approach to politics: shouting his opinions at the TV.

I was on the phone to my mum recently and heard him in the background shouting that Johnson should be hanged :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 19, 2020, 07:33:23 PM
Quote from: The Larch on October 19, 2020, 01:15:48 PM

Thankfully my dad sticks to the traditional elderly man approach to politics: shouting his opinions at the TV.

I was on the phone to my mum recently and heard him in the background shouting that Johnson should be hanged :lol:

:lol: :thumbsup:

Sheilbh

The DHS is proposing to change the visa rule for foreign journalists. Instead of being able to get a visa for 5 years, the maximum stay will be 240 days subject to renewal, which obviously would make it difficult to have permanent correspondents. Apparently these limits are, however, broadly in line with Turkey and China.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 20, 2020, 11:28:05 AM
The DHS is proposing to change the visa rule for foreign journalists. Instead of being able to get a visa for 5 years, the maximum stay will be 240 days subject to renewal, which obviously would make it difficult to have permanent correspondents. Apparently these limits are, however, broadly in line with Turkey and China.

Good company to keep.

Eddie Teach

Who has the power to accept or reject that proposal?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?