News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

My 80 year old great-uncle joined Facebook recently and spends all the fucking day sharing political posts and basketball results, retirement and social media are a dangerous mix  :lol:

Caliga

Quote from: celedhring on October 19, 2020, 11:27:31 AM
retirement and social media are a dangerous mix  :lol:
Yes.  My mother is very liberal and retired, and I believe all she does now during lockdown is browse Facebook and Twitter, and she constantly sends me pro-Biden, Kamala, etc. tweets, videos, etc.  MOM, I DON'T NEED TO SEE YET ANOTHER RACHEL MADDOW VIDEO.  I ALREADY TOLD YOU A HUNDRED TIMES I'M VOTING FOR BIDEN.  :ultra:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

My 80 year old great-uncle joined Facebook recently and spends all the fucking day sharing political posts and basketball results, retirement and social media are a dangerous mix  :lol:

Next time you visit him he will be organizing a octogenarian militia to keep the government from confiscating their guns.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2020, 11:29:55 AM

Next time you visit him he will be organizing a octogenarian militia to keep the government from confiscating their guns.

He posts mostly pro-separatist stuff, but his other favorite topic is ranting against the inheritance tax. The kind of stuff you worry as an octogenarian, I guess!

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on October 19, 2020, 11:29:53 AM
retirement and social media are a dangerous mix  :lol:
Yes.  My mother is very liberal and retired, and I believe all she does now during lockdown is browse Facebook and Twitter, and she constantly sends me pro-Biden, Kamala, etc. tweets, videos, etc.  MOM, I DON'T NEED TO SEE YET ANOTHER RACHEL MADDOW VIDEO.  I ALREADY TOLD YOU A HUNDRED TIMES I'M VOTING FOR BIDEN.  :ultra:

My 99 year old Great Aunt does the same thing. She watches MSNBC all the damn time. I guess once you vote for FDR you are pinko for life.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Caliga

I just don't understand what she thinks sending me video clips nonstop is going to achieve.  I'm still working and I'm very busy during the pandemic.... and she often gets pissed off when I ignore her constant IMs too. :rolleyes:

Some bitch better not say "but you have time to post on Languish" :P

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2020, 11:21:27 AM
Quote from: Barrister on October 19, 2020, 11:20:43 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 19, 2020, 11:03:58 AM
Is your dad on social media? That's the most likely culprit.

Not as far as I know.  I even double-checked Facebook and Twitter - nothing.

It is the 21st century. Political talking points will get to you one way or the other.

Yeah - I'd put it down to second hand social media.  Probably one of his buddies is on social media and gets the talking points and then talks to my dad about them.

One curious thing though: our conversation was pretty brief because I didn't want to argue with my dad about another country's politics.  But he asked me why I wasn't supporting Trump since I was a conservative.  I said I still am a conservative, but I'm a Never Trump conservative.  He'd never heard of the term.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on October 19, 2020, 11:31:57 AM

He posts mostly pro-separatist stuff, but his other favorite topic is ranting against the inheritance tax. The kind of stuff you worry as an octogenarian, I guess!

In the US you have to be a multi-millionaire to even be impacted by the inheritance tax.

By why does he care if his heirs have to pay taxes? He will be dead.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on October 19, 2020, 11:33:39 AM
I just don't understand what she thinks sending me video clips nonstop is going to achieve.  I'm still working and I'm very busy during the pandemic.... and she often gets pissed off when I ignore her constant IMs too. :rolleyes:

You should have some kind of automated response that just says "I agree Mom! Dump Trump and ditch Mitch in 2020!"

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2020, 11:37:26 AM
You should have some kind of automated response that just says "I agree Mom! Dump Trump and ditch Mitch in 2020!"
Oh, right, I forgot there's constant anti-Mitch forwards too. :sleep:

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2020, 11:36:13 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 19, 2020, 11:31:57 AM

In the US you have to be a multi-millionaire to even be impacted by the inheritance tax.

By why does he care if his heirs have to pay taxes? He will be dead.

The Catalan government raised the inheritance tax a few months ago, but his heirs will still pay peanuts on his estate unless he's somehow far wealthier than I'm aware of. You need to inherit in the order of 1 million+ for it to have any bite.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on October 19, 2020, 11:33:39 AM

That's just proper prioritization.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

I bet when Time picked their Person of the Year in 2006, they had no idea how poorly that would age.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2020, 11:24:02 AM
I had no idea they were even getting to Canadian dads. I have to hand it to the Republicans, they know how to appeal to their target demographic.

Somewhere is Estonia some middle aged professional visits his parents and has to endure a ten minute rant about the deep state from his dad.

My best friend is first generation Estonian* - his dad did exactly that  :lol:

*I am not actually sure how to count generations - he was the first generation to be born here.