News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Let's worry about the next election when we know there will be one.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Threviel

Quote from: Valmy on April 17, 2020, 10:04:12 AM
Well that was different, but even so it was not Reconstruction featured an insurgency against the US Army.

IIRC there was a lot of low level violent resistance against reconstruction and in the end the federal government abandoned it. Some civil war geek, or perhaps a veteran (grumbsy?) could perhaps shed some more light?

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on April 17, 2020, 09:11:38 AM
Quote from: Threviel on April 17, 2020, 04:01:26 AM
When I look at those fattish dudes walking around in pseudo-military gear with militaryisch weapons I imagine that they believe the crap about being some kind of militia. I've seen lots of memes in the vein of them seeing themselves the largest army in the world, making invasion of the US impossible and so on.

I would pay good money to see them do human wave attacks against a proper army with artillery and air support. From a distance mind you, shrapnel is dangerous. Fucking idiots.

They are morons. It is a major disappointment because I was hoping that there would be a reasonable protest that could spark some thoughtfulness about whether all the lockdown crap is really needed, but it seems like that is too much.

However, I think most of the militia morons are more worried about our government than a foreign invasion. Iraq and the Taliban are a playbook for how difficult life can be for a major army with a poorly armed insurgency.

What make you think they were poorly armed?  The Taliban and the Iraqi insurgents had access to a wide range of fully automatic weapons, anti-tank rockets and mortar.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Threviel

Yes, and the US fought with two hands and a foot tied behind the back. If it had been a total war situation it would have lasted a few days.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Threviel on April 17, 2020, 12:51:26 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 17, 2020, 10:04:12 AM
Well that was different, but even so it was not Reconstruction featured an insurgency against the US Army.

IIRC there was a lot of low level violent resistance against reconstruction and in the end the federal government abandoned it. Some civil war geek, or perhaps a veteran (grumbsy?) could perhaps shed some more light?

Oh there was very high level of violence against reconstruction...just not against Federal troops.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on April 17, 2020, 12:05:11 PMIt is an interesting point--aside from the protest in question being in Michigan which was decidely not a part of the confederacy (despite some people at that rally flying confederate flags)

Which is weird. The ideology of the Confederacy should supposedly support the "rights" of the Michigan state government :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Oexmelin

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 17, 2020, 12:25:28 PMI worry about the potential of him doing that if he loses this time round and actually causing some of his supporters to shoot people.

I am pretty sure that's going to happen.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Habbaku

Yes, I am fairly confident that he will A: lose the general election and B: instigate lots of bullshit before he's officially out of office. I have no doubt some of his supporters will engage in violence--I only hope the number is lower than I think it will be.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Barrister

Quote from: Habbaku on April 17, 2020, 02:24:35 PM
Yes, I am fairly confident that he will A: lose the general election and B: instigate lots of bullshit before he's officially out of office. I have no doubt some of his supporters will engage in violence--I only hope the number is lower than I think it will be.

I'm rather hoping that, what with massive loss of life and massive economic crash, that Trump loses heavily, maybe a 49 state win for Biden or soemthing.  And that although Trump will whine about being cheated, nobody will really listen to him.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: Threviel on April 17, 2020, 12:59:29 PM
Yes, and the US fought with two hands and a foot tied behind the back. If it had been a total war situation it would have lasted a few days.

It is hard to administer a country where you don't have popular support and a significant faction wants to kill you. Release both tied hands and the tied foot, grow 10 more arms and 10 more legs--it doesn't matter. You can't impose a stable friendly democracy in a place that doesn't want it.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Minsky Moment

I think the people of all the states need to be liberated and sincerely hope it will happen this November.

I'm surprised to find that Trump agrees but perhaps he is finally sick of the job after all.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on April 17, 2020, 02:46:16 PM
. You can't impose a stable friendly democracy in a place that doesn't want it.

Yes but enough about the American South already.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: Threviel on April 17, 2020, 12:59:29 PM

What, like the Soviets in Afghanistan?  This is nonsense.  I don't even know how you would do a "total war" COIN.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017