What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

There was a time when I'd have thought that was fake.  :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Ok so way back in...I don't know...2005 or so Donald Rumsfeld reacted to the scandal around the torture program by claiming he was "taking full responsibility" without stating how exactly he was taking full responsibility for anything. I was so angry about that empty phrase in the middle of a shameful episode and national disgrace.

Well the President in 2020 is reacting to the lack of testing during this pandemic by saying "I don't take responsibility at all"

Well damn. I am sorry Donald Rumsfeld, I never knew how good my country had it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Iormlund

Quote from: Valmy on March 16, 2020, 01:03:48 PM
Well the President in 2020 is reacting to the lack of testing during this pandemic by saying "I don't take responsibility at all"

That was honestly one of the cringiest things I've seen. "Maybe someone else shut down the Pandemic Office? Tony?" Holy shit.

HisMajestyBOB

Somewhat lost in all the pandemic news, but the DOJ has dropped charges against one of the Russian companies indicted by Mueller for interfering in the election, because of a change in "classification determination."  :mellow:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

celedhring

Yeah well, the current environment is particularly good for burying shady shit and have it barely register in the news cycle. The king of Spain just quietly renounced his dad, which essentially means the corruption allegations against him are true.

Berkut

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on March 17, 2020, 08:32:13 AM
Somewhat lost in all the pandemic news, but the DOJ has dropped charges against one of the Russian companies indicted by Mueller for interfering in the election, because of a change in "classification determination."  :mellow:

Well, the article I read mentioned a couple things for why this was ditched.

1. They are indictments of foreign hostile companies, and hence even if successfully convicted, would almost certainly never be actually punished.
2. The companies were using the process to demand discovery of classified "ways and means" documents, and the DOJ was pretty sure that they would simply turn around and use that information to better evade future investigation, or even just illegally publish it on the internet. Basically, the companies involved were like "Sure, you can totally charge us! OK, lets start with some discovery!" knowing that they would never actually be punished, since they are all in Russia, and the US judicial system is ripe for exploiting.

So it probably made sense to just ditch it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Berkut on March 17, 2020, 08:55:22 AM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on March 17, 2020, 08:32:13 AM

Well, the article I read mentioned a couple things for why this was ditched.

It's hard to figure out exactly what is going on because key information was filed in a confidential addendum.  Some of the unclassified evidence that was supposed to be used in the trial was recently designated as classified, making it unavailable for use by the prosecution.  It raises the question of who made that decision and why.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Here's a little story about justice in America.

In February 2017, Jessie Liu was named the US Attorney for the District of Columbia.  Liu, a Texan, was a graduate of Harvard and Yale, made partner in a top law firm, and served in high positions in the Bush era Justice Department.  She had a gilt-edged resume for a conservative lawyer and sure enough, got on the A list for Trump's US attorney appointments.

Fast forward a couple of years.  Robert Mueller's team stands down, and Liu inherits the Roger Stone prosecution.  She is also responsible for a criminal investigation of Andrew McCabe.  The Stone prosecution is successfully pursued by her team up until the moment where AG Barr's office takes over sentencing.  The McCabe case is dropped for lack of evidence of criminal conduct.

That would all be fine except both outcomes are not welcome to the President.  So Liu ceases to be US Attorney for the District of Columbia, and instead becomes - well, it isn't clear what she is now. She was nominated to a position in the Treasury Department, but the nomination is withdrawn the same day her former subordinates in the Office withdrew from the Stone case because of the sentencing interference.

So the Golden Girl Liu leaves public service and is replaced by Timothy Shea, a man described in this Fox News story - https://www.foxnews.com/politics/william-barr-timothy-shea-top-prosecutor-dc - as a "a close confidant and adviser" of AG William Barr.

Shea's name is on the motion dismissing the Russian prosecution.  I'm not saying Liu would have done it differently, although  . . . I guess I kind of am suggesting that possibility aren't I?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Oexmelin

Yes, I have been following that as it unfolded.

This is also why I think Sheilbh's observation is a good one: health and science journos should cover the coronavirus crisis. Political journalism should stick to what is happening meanwhile.
Que le grand cric me croque !

The Minsky Moment

It's impressive in a horrifying way how much and how fast Trump has been able to reverse 150 years of effort and progress depoliticizing and professionalizing the American government.

America will survive the coronavirus but not clear whether American democracy as we knew it can survive another 4 years of Trump.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 17, 2020, 06:19:22 PM
It's impressive in a horrifying way how much and how fast Trump has been able to reverse 150 years of effort and progress depoliticizing and professionalizing the American government.

America will survive the coronavirus but not clear whether American democracy as we knew it can survive another 4 years of Trump.

I don't think American Democracy will survive even if Trump leaves.  If Trump loses and leaves peaceably some other Republican will take up where Trump left off in the future.  Trump proved that checks and balances don't work if everyone is not invested and the GOP is no longer invested.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Looks to me like Trump Really didn't like Fuscia (sp) taking centre stage for so much of the afternoon press conference.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on March 17, 2020, 07:24:16 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 17, 2020, 06:19:22 PM

I don't think American Democracy will survive even if Trump leaves.  If Trump loses and leaves peaceably some other Republican will take up where Trump left off in the future.  Trump proved that checks and balances don't work if everyone is not invested and the GOP is no longer invested.
I'm afraid I have to agree.  I've said this before, but I think Trump has by his natural recklessness showed that GOP doesn't have to play the long game to "manage" the democracy towards their ends.  They can move in for the kill now and their half of the country will cheer them on.  He's already served his biggest purpose.