What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 09, 2020, 07:40:59 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on February 09, 2020, 07:26:51 PM

In a Constitutional Convention?  I thought it just needs 3/4 states to request one, and then we get an  unlimited, free-for-all constitutional reboot that will likely (in this day and age) descend into a giant turd of a grandstanding shit-show.

If we ever actually get a CC, we're probably fucked.

2/3 to request, still need 3/4 to ratify.  Chillax.  The Constitution is designed to be impossible to change and Trump is not going to change that.
that's what they told themselves in the Weimar Republic ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

dps

Quote from: viper37 on February 09, 2020, 08:09:41 PM

In a Constitutional Convention?  I thought it just needs 3/4 states to request one, and then we get an  unlimited, free-for-all constitutional reboot that will likely (in this day and age) descend into a giant turd of a grandstanding shit-show.

2/3 to request, still need 3/4 to ratify.  Chillax.  The Constitution is designed to be impossible to change and Trump is not going to change that.

Maybe, to the extent that they discussed the US Constitution at all in the Weimar Republic.

Grey Fox

If Trump can modify the Constitution so he can run a 3rd time the Dems nominee better be Obama. Now, that would a election season.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Camerus

Eh, I'm old enough to recall the panic that Bush was creating a theocracy in the USA.  I am willing to bet $1000 that the Trump years will pass after a maximum of 4 more years from the next inauguration date.  Let's not clutch our pearls too tightly.

dps

Pretty much every Presidential election since I was old enough to pay any attention has been followed by hopes and fears that the winning party was going to be able to obtain a permanent hold on power.  People said after 72, 80, 84. 88, 2000, and 2004 that the Democratic Party would never win the Presidency again;  after 76, 92, 96, 2008, and 2012 they said that the Republican Party would never win the Presidency again.  And there's been someone out there that has thought that the newly-elected President is going to overthrow the republic and rule as a dictator.  Mind you, how many people are spouting that nonsense and just how nutty those people are has varied depending on the individual President in question.

Oexmelin

Do you think the current situation is exactly the same as 72, 76, 80, 84, 88, 92, 96, 2000, 2004, 2008 and 2012?
Que le grand cric me croque !

viper37

Quote from: dps on February 09, 2020, 08:12:24 PM

Maybe, to the extent that they discussed the US Constitution at all in the Weimar Republic.
who knows?  We discuss ACW in a Spanish politics thread, religious accomodations in a terrorism thread, so anything is possible!  We weren't there dude! :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Oexmelin on February 09, 2020, 09:51:44 PM
Do you think the current situation is exactly the same as 72, 76, 80, 84, 88, 92, 96, 2000, 2004, 2008 and 2012?

Yes and no.
2000 was pretty bad.  You had 5 Supreme Court justices intervene in a state process for choosing that state's electors, a process that the Constitution confers exclusively on the state governments, to effectively dictate the result of the election and confer the presidency on a candidate of the party of the President that originally appointed them.  They did so in an opinion that took the extraordinary, unprecedented and legally incoherent step of declaring that although it purportedly relied on a general constitutional principle, it should be deemed as non-precedential.

OTOH when it happened, Al Gore complained for a bit, considered some options, then conceded,
If something like that happened to Trump, he would call out the military, National Guard, the bikers, and the "very fine people" and we'd have ourselves something between a Kapp Putsch and a Second American Civil War.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment link=topic=14439.msg1220205#msg1220205and we'd have ourselves something between a Kapp Putsch and a Second American Civil War.
War is good for business
Rule of acquisition #34

But I share your assessment.  He wins and things will be bad.  He loses and things will be bad.

dps

Quote from: viper37 on February 09, 2020, 10:12:22 PM
Quote from: dps on February 09, 2020, 08:12:24 PM

who knows?  We discuss ACW in a Spanish politics thread, religious accomodations in a terrorism thread, so anything is possible!  We weren't there dude! :P

Guess we should ask someone who was.  Where's grumbler?

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on February 09, 2020, 10:36:22 PM
War is good for business
Rule of acquisition #34

I mean...sometimes. I don't know if Volkswagon came out of World War II in great shape.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: viper37 on February 09, 2020, 10:36:22 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment link=topic=14439.msg1220205#msg1220205and we'd have ourselves something between a Kapp Putsch and a Second American Civil War.
War is good for business
Rule of acquisition #34

But I share your assessment.  He wins and things will be bad.  He loses and things will be bad.

That might be one of the stupidest sayings that is commonly repeated as if it was really wise and knowing.

War is terrible for business. It is stupidly risky most of the time, and I would be willing to bet that throughout history, war has been consistently bad for businesses overall.

Businesses like stability and predictability while being able to manage risk. War mostly involves a shitload of risk, from being bombed or your parent country being destroyed, to your workers being sent off, to public backlash against spending.

Making and selling munitions is often good business, but actually USING them mostly sucks in the overall scheme of things.

The military industrial complex is great business. Actually going to war? Not so much.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Yeah I think industry loves a constant low level war that always acts predictably. Like what we have been in for the past 20 years.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

You need the occasional smaller war to demonstrate the effectiveness of the new models and the obsolescence of the old.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Berkut

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 10, 2020, 12:57:08 AM
You need the occasional smaller war to demonstrate the effectiveness of the new models and the obsolescence of the old.

The USN has gone from diesel powered subs at the end of WW2 to nuclear SSBNs and attack subs of breathtaking complexity, cost, and capability without, so far as I am aware, ever firing one single shot in anger.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned