News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Quote from: Valmy on October 30, 2018, 09:17:02 AM
Again it may be that I live in Texas or it may be just the way these issues play to the population but the only people who talk about the immigration issue and the toilet thing are the right. The left just ignores them completely, at least in their political strategies. I think the left only brings these things up in the exact same situations the right will, in elections where they think that is a winning issue. So I don't think it is a decoy any more than any other political strategy is.

Ok I think I saw an ad that was like 'While Republicans waste their time talking about bathrooms they are allowing property taxes to skyrocket and schools to crumble...' or something like that. So it could be just my geographical location that shields me from all the fervor about bathrooms and immigration going on in this election.

Btw, how is early voting turnout in your neck of the woods? Does Beto even have a chance?
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

FunkMonk

This is pretty shitty of Donald, in any case. Most Americans are fine with birthright citizenship in this country. The few people who would like it curtailed are, essentially, only the racists. So what does Donald do?

"GOODBYE BIRTHRIGHT CITIZENSHIP IM PRESDIENT, BITCH"

Now many of his supporters, who may otherwise be perfectly fine and happy with the 14th Amendment, will end up supporting gutting it via political fiat, simply because "their guy" brought it up out of the sewer to motivate the racists.

Donald, news flash: RIGHT-WING RACISTS ALREADY PLAN ON VOTING FOR YOU. YOU DON'T NEED TO POISON THE WELLS TOO

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Legbiter on October 30, 2018, 09:23:46 AM
Again it may be that I live in Texas or it may be just the way these issues play to the population but the only people who talk about the immigration issue and the toilet thing are the right. The left just ignores them completely, at least in their political strategies. I think the left only brings these things up in the exact same situations the right will, in elections where they think that is a winning issue. So I don't think it is a decoy any more than any other political strategy is.

Ok I think I saw an ad that was like 'While Republicans waste their time talking about bathrooms they are allowing property taxes to skyrocket and schools to crumble...' or something like that. So it could be just my geographical location that shields me from all the fervor about bathrooms and immigration going on in this election.

Btw, how is early voting turnout in your neck of the woods? Does Beto even have a chance?

I was at a wedding recently and someone asked me where I'm from. I said Texas, and he immediately started talking about Beto. He asked if he had any chance of winning.

I just sat back in my chair and laughed out loud.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Tamas

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 30, 2018, 09:28:18 AM
This is pretty shitty of Donald, in any case. Most Americans are fine with birthright citizenship in this country. The few people who would like it curtailed are, essentially, only the racists. So what does Donald do?

"GOODBYE BIRTHRIGHT CITIZENSHIP IM PRESDIENT, BITCH"

Now many of his supporters, who may otherwise be perfectly fine and happy with the 14th Amendment, will end up supporting gutting it via political fiat, simply because "their guy" brought it up out of the sewer to motivate the racists.

Donald, news flash: RIGHT-WING RACISTS ALREADY PLAN ON VOTING FOR YOU. YOU DON'T NEED TO POISON THE WELLS TOO

But yes he has to. It needs to be constant fighting and it needs to be on his (supporters') level, otherwise his and his party's ineptitude and bad policies would become all too apparent. And, more importantly, the community needs to be kept together an active, and you need a sort of siege mentality for that.

It will only get worse because the stakes will constantly have to be raised to reach the desired effect.

grumbler

I did notice that SHS referred to Ivanka Trump as a "Jewish-American" yesterday.  It's rather telling that the White House press secretary thinks of Jews as hyphenated Americans rather than just Americans.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on October 30, 2018, 10:28:52 AM
I did notice that SHS referred to Ivanka Trump as a "Jewish-American" yesterday.  It's rather telling that the White House press secretary thinks of Jews as hyphenated Americans rather than just Americans.

I wonder if that's a generational thing. I know my father never liked being called an African-American for exactly that reason while I was never phased by that at all. Just specified/made salient a subtype.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Legbiter on October 30, 2018, 09:23:46 AM

Early voter turnout is very high, presidential election type numbers so far, which I am glad to see since generally Texans don't give a damn about politics and public affairs in general.

Beto has a chance, but not a good chance. He has to win more of the independent vote than I see him winning in order to win. But he does have a chance which is more than I can say for any other Democrat in a statewide election.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Malthus on October 30, 2018, 08:15:12 AM
It's not that he's repealing it. He's relying on an interpretation of it that holds that, where the amendment states that birthright citizenship only applies to children 'subject to the jurisdiction' of the US, that means they must be born to legal immigrants or citizens.

That intepretation would require overruling century old Supreme Court precedent.

QuoteIt thus clearly appears that by the law of England for the last three centuries, beginning before the settlement of this country, and continuing to the present day, aliens, while residing in the dominions possessed by the Crown of England, were within the allegiance, the obedience, the faith or loyalty, the protection, the power, the jurisdiction, of the English Sovereign; and therefore every child born in England of alien parents was a natural-born subject, unless the child of an ambassador or other diplomatic agent of a foreign State, or of an alien enemy in hostile occupation of the place where the child was born.

III. The same rule was in force in all the English Colonies upon this continent down to the time of the Declaration of Independence, and in the United States afterwards, and continued to prevail under the Constitution as originally established.

United States v. Wong Kim Ark
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on October 30, 2018, 08:38:18 AM
yeah, but the argument that the US government has no jurisdiction over illegal immigrants or visa holders seems kinda insane.  If Trump is right, he cannot do anything about illegal immigrants or those who hold visas, because he lacks jurisdiction.  I'm sure illegal immigrants would trade the right of their children to US citizenship in exchange for immunity to US law.

Yes it is utterly self-defeating but that assumes the rule of law applies and laws must be applied consistently.  Under the Rule of Trump anything goes.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Legbiter on October 30, 2018, 08:40:22 AM
Sounds like red meat for his base on the eve of the midterms. That and trolling the libs.  :hmm:

100% true.  It's Donald's desperation attempt to wrench the news cycle away from his coddling of extremist right wing domestic terrorism.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 30, 2018, 11:15:24 AM
Quote from: Malthus on October 30, 2018, 08:15:12 AM
It's not that he's repealing it. He's relying on an interpretation of it that holds that, where the amendment states that birthright citizenship only applies to children 'subject to the jurisdiction' of the US, that means they must be born to legal immigrants or citizens.

That intepretation would require overruling century old Supreme Court precedent.

QuoteIt thus clearly appears that by the law of England for the last three centuries, beginning before the settlement of this country, and continuing to the present day, aliens, while residing in the dominions possessed by the Crown of England, were within the allegiance, the obedience, the faith or loyalty, the protection, the power, the jurisdiction, of the English Sovereign; and therefore every child born in England of alien parents was a natural-born subject, unless the child of an ambassador or other diplomatic agent of a foreign State, or of an alien enemy in hostile occupation of the place where the child was born.

III. The same rule was in force in all the English Colonies upon this continent down to the time of the Declaration of Independence, and in the United States afterwards, and continued to prevail under the Constitution as originally established.

United States v. Wong Kim Ark

I don't think it is controversial that Trump's proposed interpretation is bullshit and will go nowhere (unless Trump succeeds in stacking the courts with his cronies).

I was merely reacting to the statement he's planning to repeal the 14th. That's not actually what he's doing.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Tamas

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 30, 2018, 11:20:45 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on October 30, 2018, 08:40:22 AM
Sounds like red meat for his base on the eve of the midterms. That and trolling the libs.  :hmm:

100% true.  It's Donald's desperation attempt to wrench the news cycle away from his coddling of extremist right wing domestic terrorism.

It will work, though. I am already tired of the endless discussion on this thing that he has less intention to follow through than actual ability, and it hasn't even started in earnest yet.

dps

I almost hope dumbass issues an executive order ending birthright citizenship, and Pence and the Cabinet invoke Section 4 of the 25th Amendment.

Well, not really, because Trump would almost certainly fight against it, and then we'd really have a Constitutional crisis.

Razgovory

So apparently someone is trying to pay women to make claims of sexual harassment against Robert Mueller.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/10/special-counsel-refers-scheme-targeting-mueller-to-fbi/574411/

God, they really are terrified of Robert Mueller.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Should be a fun press conference at the ROSSLYN HOLIDAY INN