What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on September 19, 2018, 09:02:39 PM
Yeah, the prudent thing for GOP to do is to call up the next one on the list.  These Federalist Society drones are all interchangeable anyway.

This one has something special.  He believes that a President shouldn't ever be investigated.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 19, 2018, 08:19:50 PM
I'm slightly inclined to think she fabricated.

It does feel a little convenient. But perhaps a SC justice should be like Caesar's wife?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sophie Scholl

"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on September 20, 2018, 03:15:59 AM
Care to share why?

Kavanaugh's denial.  The other alleged perp's denial.  Kavanaugh gives me an honest vibe. Her refusal to testify in front of the committee. You obviously have to deeply discount the claims about Ford listed in Syt's Facebook Follies post, but the statements are more precise (and fact checkable) than your typical internet retard attempt at character assassination.

Same question for the people who believe her.

Maladict

:lol:

Donald Trump urged Spain to 'build the wall' – across the Sahara

Spanish foreign minister says US president advised tactic to stem migration across the Med

Sam Jones in Madrid
@swajones

Wed 19 Sep 2018 19.19 BST

Donald Trump suggested the Spanish government tackled the Mediterranean migration crisis by emulating one of his most famous policies and building a wall across the Sahara desert, the country's foreign minister has revealed.

According to Josep Borrell, the US president brushed off the scepticism of Spanish diplomats – who pointed out that the Sahara stretched for 3,000 miles – saying: "The Sahara border can't be bigger than our border with Mexico."

Trump wooed voters in the 2016 election with his promise to build a "big, beautiful wall" across the US/Mexico border, which is roughly 2,000 miles long.

A similar plan in the Sahara, however, would be complicated by the fact that Spain holds only two small enclaves in north Africa – Ceuta and Melilla – and such a wall would have to be built on foreign territory.
Hundreds storm border fence into Spain's north Africa enclave of Ceuta

[snip]

© 2018 Guardian News and Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved.

frunk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 20, 2018, 04:02:52 AM

Kavanaugh's denial.  The other alleged perp's denial.  Kavanaugh gives me an honest vibe. Her refusal to testify in front of the committee. You obviously have to deeply discount the claims about Ford listed in Syt's Facebook Follies post, but the statements are more precise (and fact checkable) than your typical internet retard attempt at character assassination.

Kavanaugh appears to have a history of pretty hard partying, up through recently.  Considering that an incident like this is not surprising.  Kavanaugh and the other guy are both going to deny either way, their careers are toast if they copped to it.

bogh

What is her motivation for making it up?

Scuppering the Kavanaugh nomination is a pretty modest victory, as they would likely nominate someone just as conservative and rush to confirm her/him, so exposing herself to the virulent hatred of half the country because she is a partisan hack seems pretty far fetched to me. Even if she is a crazed and partisan Democrat fanatic, the cost-benefit analysis here is very skewed.

So I can either explain the accusation by her being fanatically partisan and willing to martyr herself for no real reason or I can explain it by her being honest (in her experience and how she recalls it, possibly not in the actual facts). I tend towards to simpler explanation here.

Also, if she is brazen enough to completely fabricate it, I would imagine she could also conspire with someone to bring in a faux witness etc. Her story doesn't seem well designed for its alleged purpose.

Note how the other perp has also declined to testify under oath and that Ford hasn't declined to testify under oath, just not sit in on a hasty he-said, she-said hearing with no context focused on political point scoring.

Barrister

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on September 20, 2018, 03:15:59 AM
Care to share why?

A few general thoughts:

-becoming Anita Hill v 2.0 is not anything that anyone would want.  Ford has already gone into hiding apparently after receiving threats
-what she remembers, and what she doesn't, makes sense to me.  You remember the trauma, but not surrounding details like where it happened
-if you were going to fabricate, you'd do it differently.  You wouldn't be afraid to testify.

If it is a false allegation, I think it would be because she is misremembering who did this to her, not because she is manufacturing it out of whole cloth
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: bogh on September 20, 2018, 09:46:04 AM
What is her motivation for making it up?

Scuppering the Kavanaugh nomination is a pretty modest victory, as they would likely nominate someone just as conservative and rush to confirm her/him, so exposing herself to the virulent hatred of half the country because she is a partisan hack seems pretty far fetched to me. Even if she is a crazed and partisan Democrat fanatic, the cost-benefit analysis here is very skewed.

Dems' strategy from the first day of hearings has been to delay, delay, delay.  Anything to slow down the process is a win for them-- making the nominee look like crap and de-legitimizing him is a bonus.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Yeah I don't think they expected all this crazy shit to come out.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

Quote from: derspiess on September 20, 2018, 09:54:17 AM
Dems' strategy from the first day of hearings has been to delay, delay, delay.  Anything to slow down the process is a win for them-- making the nominee look like crap and de-legitimizing him is a bonus.

Delay is the word of either opposing party now.  We no longer have a government that really functions.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

If they did decide to just let the Republicans have it their base would be outraged and call them wimps. The Republicans would not return the favor in the future. There is no political justification to not be an asshole and try to fuck things up and every incentive to do so.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

bogh

Quote from: derspiess on September 20, 2018, 09:54:17 AM

Sure, but "Dems" isn't a collective mind that can simply make people (i.e. Ford) throw their lives into complete ruin to serve as a minor speedbump. I wasn't asking about "Dems" motivations, I was asking about hers.

frunk

Quote from: PDH on September 20, 2018, 10:19:56 AM
Delay is the word of either opposing party now.  We no longer have a government that really functions.

There's a reason Trump got to appoint a record number of judges, and it wasn't because Obama wasn't nominating them.