News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

:lol:  I keep getting Trump fundraising emails from Newt, promising me a copy of his book.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on July 24, 2018, 09:43:51 AM
So when exactly did Newt Gingrich go insane?

https://secondnexus.com/news/newt-gingrich-compares-donald-trump-abraham-lincoln/?utm_content=inf_677_1164_2&tse_id=INF_ba9aefd08f4d11e89082338b5b67de56

Quote"I guess the question is, in history, we've had some very challenging times, can you think of a bigger abuse of power in our history?" Hannity asked.

"Look, I think the person whose situation is the most like President Trump's was Abraham Lincoln," Gingrich replied. The veteran Republican then implied no president except Lincoln has faced political opposition in the same manner that has vexed Trump.

"Lincoln is fighting to preserve the Constitution, he's fighting to preserve the Union, and he's having to do a lot of different things that are very bold and in some cases very radical, and he is trying to do it in a way that he's deeply, bitterly opposed, not just by the slave-owning South, but also by a substantial number of Democrats in the North, and I think that Trump's in a very similar place."

Your question implies there was a period of sanity.

Caliga

Remember, he is one of those "family values" politicians, and yet he cheated on and left his first wife while she was battling cancer, and then cheated on and left his second wife for his third.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

celedhring

Speaking of Newt, I think the new conservative leader in Spain is a bit of a fan, he's unveiled a "contract with Spain" platform that seems straight from the 1990s GOP.  :hmm:

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on July 24, 2018, 10:22:36 AM
Remember, he is one of those "family values" politicians, and yet he cheated on and left his first wife while she was battling cancer, and then cheated on and left his second wife for his third.

Family values? He certainly values family.

He values family so much, he wanted three of them!  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

The top law enforcement officer of the United States threatens imprisonment of a private citizen based on her political views:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/jeff-sessions-repeats-lock-her-up-chant/ar-AAAm2pE?ocid=spartanntp

He is such a contemptible little shit.

"Sessions criticized universities for " . . . "actively preventing them from scrutinizing the validity of their beliefs.""  -- Yeah, I've got news for you Pot, says Kettle.

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on July 24, 2018, 10:46:20 AM
Family values? He certainly values family.

He values family so much, he wanted three of them!  :D
I guess he may have always been inspecific about 'how' he values families. :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

crazy canuck

QuoteSessions criticized universities for "coddling our young people" and "actively preventing them from scrutinizing the validity of their beliefs."

mongers

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump    5h

Tariffs are the greatest! Either a country which has treated the United States unfairly on Trade negotiates a fair deal, or it gets hit with Tariffs. It's as simple as that - and everybody's talking! Remember, we are the "piggy bank" that's being robbed. All will be Great!

I wonder if anyone in the administration or a passing economist has tried to explain to Trump the idea of marginal propensity to import?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on July 24, 2018, 11:28:47 AM

I wonder if anyone in the administration or a passing economist has tried to explain to Trump the idea of marginal propensity to import?

Don't be ridiculous.

Tamas

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1021784726217142273

QuoteI'm very concerned that Russia will be fighting very hard to have an impact on the upcoming Election. Based on the fact that no President has been tougher on Russia than me, they will be pushing very hard for the Democrats. They definitely don't want Trump!

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on July 24, 2018, 11:28:47 AM

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump    5h

Tariffs are the greatest! Either a country which has treated the United States unfairly on Trade negotiates a fair deal, or it gets hit with Tariffs. It's as simple as that - and everybody's talking! Remember, we are the "piggy bank" that's being robbed. All will be Great!

QuoteRepublicans are confident that the worldwide trade agenda is full of promise. Tariffs should be cut further. The U.S. can back private sector efforts to streamline common standards and deregulate services. America can set the standards and be at the center of a web of trade, finance, and openness. If some nations choose to opt out, they will see how other countries accepting economic freedom will advance on their own. This is a vision of private initiative encouraged, not stifled, by governments.
Source: Republican Platform adopted at GOP National Convention , Aug 12, 2000

Quote from: Tamas on July 24, 2018, 11:32:24 AM
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1021784726217142273

QuoteI'm very concerned that Russia will be fighting very hard to have an impact on the upcoming Election. Based on the fact that no President has been tougher on Russia than me, they will be pushing very hard for the Democrats. They definitely don't want Trump!

We have always been at war with Eastasia

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 24, 2018, 11:38:57 AM

We have always been at war with Eastasia

Well yes, that will be the narrative in case the Democrats win big. And it will become an established fact in short order.

This time next year, Derspiess will be defending it as a fact always known.

Valmy

At least he admits Russia is interfering with our elections.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

FT article today on "chaos" in tariff policy:
https://www.ft.com/content/675e439c-8c25-11e8-bf9e-8771d5404543
QuoteThe Trump administration in March introduced tariffs of 25 per cent on steel and 10 per cent on aluminium, and also set up a process for US importers to request exclusions. As application for requests on tens of thousands of products have flooded in, many companies said they were finding the bureaucracy frustrating and the decisions bewildering. Winners and losers are being chosen seemingly arbitrarily by the government, they complain, distorting markets and disrupting supply chains. Meanwhile, a backlog of decisions continues to grow.

. . . . Royal Dutch Shell, for example, applied for tariff exemptions for high-specification steel pipes  . . . The commerce department ruled that it accepted the argument for tubing 3.5 inches in diameter — but not for tubing 4.5 inches in diameter.

. . . . Schick, the razor company, has been granted 16 exemptions for different grades of the steel used to make blades. Gillette, the razor division of Procter & Gamble, which employs about 1,350 people in Massachusetts, has applied for similar exemptions but as of Friday had not received any decisions. 

Article goes on to say that requests for import exemptions based on techologies or processes exclusive to a foreign manufacturer are often being denied with the requirement that the importer use a less advanced US product instead.

So much for the deregulatory agenda for US manufacturing.

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson