News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

The Russians are not the biggest threat.  At least they wouldn't be if they hadn't successfully planted their asset directly in the White House.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Remember in Die Hard when Bruce Willis had to walk over that glass?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

They're not our number #1 geopolitical threat, derslavcocksmoker; China (People's Republic of) is, and will continue to be for what remains of the 21st century.

Russia is just our #1 geopolitical nuisance.  At least, they were until they were given the White House.  Talk about leaping to the head of the class.

Grey Fox

Is China really a threat? Or just a glorified debt holder?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

frunk

Russia is dangerous because of a large military and an awareness that demographically and economically they are toast long term.  They are going to be aggressive. 

China is dangerous because if they can successfully transition to a mature economy over the next few years they have the potential to be the superpower for the next century.  They can afford to be patient.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 12, 2017, 11:49:54 AM
Is China really a threat? Or just a glorified debt holder?

China appears to be capable of operating large ocean going vessels without having massive plumes of smoke pouring out of them so it would seem they more of a threat. On the other hand, their air force ranks far behind Russia in terms of numbers of hospitals and health clinics destroyed.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

OttoVonBismarck

I mean, the reality is the Trump campaign had a solemn duty to investigate information that would "incriminate Hillary and her dealings with Russia." If there was evidence HRC had committed criminal acts w/the Russians it was a matter of public interest, and certainly one any American political leader should take very seriously.

garbon

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 12, 2017, 01:02:47 PM
I mean, the reality is the Trump campaign had a solemn duty to investigate information that would "incriminate Hillary and her dealings with Russia." If there was evidence HRC had committed criminal acts w/the Russians it was a matter of public interest, and certainly one any American political leader should take very seriously.

:hmm:

Anyway, Trump doesn't generally let solemn duties bother him.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

OttoVonBismarck

I mean more seriously, I don't think the Don Trump Jr emails or the meeting itself is the smoking gun people are looking for, to be honest.

As Minsky said, I'm not sure we can realistically establish a standard in which "receiving information" is akin to receiving "value" in a financial sense, which is really what the campaign finance laws are intended to cover, and I think the high court would be highly skeptical of a prosecution in which the only evidence was a receipt of information. So I don't think the campaign finance charge is legit, so "conspiracy" to commit such action is also not likely to hold up.

The treason allegation from Tim Kaine and others is basically a non-starter on its face due to the tightly defined constitutional definition of treason.

Now, obviously Russian hacking of the DNC, and involvement in it by an American, even after the fact, would be illegal. But the text of the email doesn't reveal to me anything that would create a clear legal link between Trump and collusion/conspiracy with Russia as part of the DNC hacking.

I don't believe it's a crime to meet with a Russian who conveys the words "part of the Russian government's support"; I mean governments around the world all support or oppose American Presidential candidates. It's undeniable for example that most leaders of Europe supported Hillary. Now, they respect international and democratic norms (mostly), so they didn't extend that support into interference. To me for it to be a smoking gun I'd have needed it to clearly say something like "this is part of the Russian government's efforts to assist your father in winning the election" or etc.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: frunk on July 12, 2017, 12:10:20 PM
Russia is dangerous because of a large military and an awareness that demographically and economically they are toast long term.  They are going to be aggressive.

They do not have a large military;  they have a large nuclear arsenal.  And they are only as aggressive as their revanchist egos require.

CountDeMoney

I mean, the reality is the Trump campaign had a solemn duty to investigate information that would "incriminate Hillary and her dealings with Russia."

Lol, "solemn duty," guess that really waters down your solemn duties, bullet catcher.  Time to bulldoze Arlington.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 12, 2017, 01:16:13 PM
Now, obviously Russian hacking of the DNC, and involvement in it by an American, even after the fact, would be illegal. But the text of the email doesn't reveal to me anything that would create a clear legal link between Trump and collusion/conspiracy with Russia as part of the DNC hacking.

It's a piece of evidence from which inferences can be drawn.  The question is what other evidence is out there.  Criminal conspiracy cases often don't have a singular smoking gun email chain.  It's a combination of different documents or pieces of evidence. 
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 12, 2017, 01:37:02 PM
I mean, the reality is the Trump campaign had a solemn duty to investigate information that would "incriminate Hillary and her dealings with Russia."

Lol, "solemn duty," guess that really waters down your solemn duties, bullet catcher.  Time to bulldoze Arlington.

Circumstances matter.  If Mr. Scumbago shows up with blood stained papers and asks for a sack of cash in return, the solemn duty is to call the Feds not do the deal.  This wasn't garden variety gray market oppo research.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on July 12, 2017, 08:24:47 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 11, 2017, 09:27:12 PM
They'll just turn all this into a referendum on what the actual "dirt" was that the Russians had on Hillary.  THATS THE REAL STORY HERE

So do you have Conservative friends who post articles from RT?  Twice in one week I had a right-winger demand evidence that the Russians influenced the election.  Both times I looked at at that person's Facebook wall and pointed out that they themselves were posting Russian propaganda.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017