And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on July 11, 2017, 03:23:34 PM
Quote from: HVC on July 11, 2017, 03:17:36 PM
wouldn't asking a foreign power to spy on someone in the government count as espionage and thus treason?

It might. But Hillary was not in the government at the time.

A candidate doesn't count as in the government? well, I guess not. What if the info they were digging for pertained to when she was in the government?

Even beyond the attempts to hack thing, the Trumps have received money from the Russians in the past. Super low interest loans and the like. I miss the old school russophobia.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Savonarola

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 10, 2017, 08:51:33 PM
So what do you guys think of all this Trump Jr. news? :unsure:

10 stories on CNN; currently bigger than Ice-Cream-Gate (3 stories); as big as Cofevegate (10 stories); nowhere near as big as Mean-Tweet-About-Morning-Joegate (over 23 stories).  My prediction: we'll be on to something else by this time next week.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

alfred russel

I'd think a lot would depend on how much was revealed to the Trumps.

"We have embarrasssing info on Clinton. When would it be best for us to release it?" Probably not so bad.

"We have embarrassing info on Clinton we got after hacking the DNC servers. When would it be best for us to release it?" Sounds like being an accomplice to a crime. And seems plausible such information would be given to Trump or his people, for the purpose of blackmail in the event he became president.

Also, the fact that candidate Trump encouraged the Russians to find Hillary's missing emails at a campaign stop is not a good one for him.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: HVC on July 11, 2017, 03:26:10 PM
Even beyond the attempts to hack thing, the Trumps have received money from the Russians in the past. Super low interest loans and the like. I miss the old school russophobia.

"Low interest loans"   :lol:  Yeah, I guess you can call it that.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on July 11, 2017, 03:53:49 PM
Also, the fact that candidate Trump encouraged the Russians to find Hillary's missing emails at a campaign stop is not a good one for him.

Not a good one for him? It got him elected, Assburger.

Fuck, even here.  Russians all over the fucking place. 

HVC

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 11, 2017, 03:55:47 PM
Quote from: HVC on July 11, 2017, 03:26:10 PM

"Low interest loans"   :lol:  Yeah, I guess you can call it that.

Bribes sound so tawdry :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Zanza

We had a president resign because there were allegations he got the mortgage for his private home at a reduced interest rate as a favor for writing a couple of letters supporting some business. He also got a couple of short weekend trips paid for allegedly. Nothing came of it in the actual prosecution.
I think I prefer our overblown expectation of morality to the American banana republic.

HVC

Quote from: Zanza on July 11, 2017, 04:00:27 PM
We had a president resign because there were allegations he got the mortgage for his private home at a reduced interest rate as a favor for writing a couple of letters supporting some business. He also got a couple of short weekend trips paid for allegedly. Nothing came of it in the actual prosecution.
I think I prefer our overblown expectation of morality to the American banana republic.

dude defaults on personal and business loans left and right, swaps out new wives at regular intervals, hires illegal immigrants while bitching about illegal immigrants, etc. Personal accountability and morality isn't his strong suit.

Zanza

But the Evangelicals like him unlike the woman that stood faithfully at her husband's side despite that husband getting oral sex from interns... :hmm:

HVC

you could put up the president of NAMBLA for election as a republican and the Evangelicals would vote for him (assuming he's not a catholic or some other unseemly religion)

Solmyr

Quote from: Valmy on July 11, 2017, 11:25:25 AM
Crown Prosecutor? Has Putin brought the Romanovs back to power?

He doesn't need to, he's the Tsar himself.

Solmyr

The Larch

From the latest Pew polling:

Apparently a majority of Republicans believe that universities have a negative impact int he wellbeing of the US. This opinion has risen sharply in recent years, as back in 2015 they still had an overall positive opinion of them. This anti-intellectualism thing is getting out of hand, it seems...

The Minsky Moment

Assume the Russians violated US criminal law - that seems plausible if persons acting under state direction hacked the DNC servers.  Then you could charge conspiracy with proof that one or more persons on the campaign: (1) knew at least one object of the conspiracy and with the intent of helping accomplish that object and (2) performed an overt act.

A person can be convicted of conspiracy without knowing all the details and objects of the conspiracy.  The overt act doesn't have to be criminal itself and often isn't.  Making a phone call or attending a meeting can be enough.

The law of criminal conspiracy can be pretty loosey-goosey, not surprising everyone in the blast radius of this mess is lawyering up with white collar guys.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on July 11, 2017, 03:20:01 PM
Here's the best analysis I've seen discussing whether Do Jr's meeting constitutes a crime.  I don't know the author so they could be a nutter, but it sounds good.

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/the-administration/341461-opinion-don-jrs-russia-meeting-wasnt-collusion-just

TL;DR - no it's probably not an offence.

That's an incredibly poorly-written piece, so I don't give it much credence.  It is so full of over-the-top strawman arguments (how many times does he use "frenzy" or a synonym?) that I don't trust the seemingly non-logical-fallacy parts to be written in good faith.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!