News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

I am starting to worry that people are starting to get a little...I don't know...too anti-Trump. Like he is evil or the anti-Christ or something. I mean yes he is an empty suit, a blowhard who makes everything about him and lacks the self reflection to correct mistakes or learn from experience and almost all of his ideas are terrible and he will probably end up doing something that has disastrous and tragic results for us but...

Well I guess it should be expected we did this with the last three guys. I mean how do you deal with people who are on your side but just take it way too far? I guess that also applies to other non-President related things.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

FunkMonk

Quote from: Oexmelin on July 06, 2017, 11:47:05 AM
What is too far, for you?

For me, when someone shoots up a bunch of Republicans and their staffers at baseball practice.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

HVC

My concern with going overboard on trump is that it absolves the GOP. Regardless of the candidate they were going to kill Obamacare, they'd sell arms to the terrorist factory that is Saudi Arabia. Muslim ban? They've have tried that too. Trump sucks, but ignoring the tweeter and general horrible public relations breakdowns nothing would be that different.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Basically what I said earlier. The demonization and dehumanizing of your political opponents. I just find it really distasteful. I think it hurts the country and our political culture, even if ultimately I agree with your position. I just get so tired of it. It has a general chilling effect on discussion I think.

QuoteFor me, when someone shoots up a bunch of Republicans and their staffers at baseball practice.

Well yes that to :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on July 06, 2017, 12:06:49 PM
My concern with going overboard on trump is that it absolves the GOP. Regardless of the candidate they were going to kill Obamacare, they'd sell arms to the terrorist factory that is Saudi Arabia. Muslim ban? They've have tried that too. Trump sucks, but ignoring the tweeter and general horrible public relations breakdowns nothing would be that different.

That is the other thing. It becomes a colorful dangling toy to distract everybody. Nobody is talking about issues really. I feel like there are some issues that Republicans support that we might support as well, but instead it is all just political theater. I guess that isn't new though. Even before Trump this is how it went.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 06, 2017, 11:54:29 AM
Quote from: Oexmelin on July 06, 2017, 11:47:05 AM
What is too far, for you?

CDM level.   :P

Individuals far more accomplished and learned than I consider him the republic's greatest threat, and not without reason.

You all knew this beforehand, though. 

DGuller

Not only does it absolve GOP, but it also absolves his voters.  The Trump tragedy/farce was a couple of decades in the making.  If anything, he's the best chance we have to discredit that movement before it rots the country out from the inside.

dps

they'd sell arms to the terrorist factory that is Saudi Arabia. Muslim ban? They've have tried that too.

AFAIK, every US administration, Republican or Democratic, going back to FDR, has sold arms to the Saudis.  Don't think we can blame that one on the current Congressional Republicans.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on July 06, 2017, 12:16:41 PM

That is the other thing. It becomes a colorful dangling toy to distract everybody. Nobody is talking about issues really. I feel like there are some issues that Republicans support that we might support as well, but instead it is all just political theater. I guess that isn't new though. Even before Trump this is how it went.

Sometimes, I am convinced this is his plan.

Actual issues of substance causing public concern? Never mind, I will Tweet a colorful insult aimed at some media celebrity! Say that I hate the tightness of her asshole, my huge fist won't fit in it - I know that the media will explode in outrage, which should nicely push any actual discussion of issues right off the front page! My voters won't give a shit at how vile I am - if it makes "liberals" cry tears of rage, they love it!

The problem with Trump is that he is so very loathsome, his loathsomeness acts as a distraction, which actually works to his advantage. He's like a pus-filled, infected scab - you know it's a bad idea to keep picking at it, but it is hard to stop.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

He is C-in-C at a time when the US is drifting into confrontation with a nuclear power, and while there are some responsible advisors to help him, it  appears that at least half the time he is under the influence of the Unabomber twin (Bannon).  That's just the tip of a very big iceberg that the American ship of state keeps plowing into.  In a matter of months he has done brutal damage to decades of painstaking bipartisan work building the Pax Americana.

The Republicans suck but their awfulness is dwarfed by the blight that is Trump.  Pence is a rightwing zealot, a bona fide weirdo who would be a terrible President.  And yet still orders of magnitude better than Trump.  It really is very hard to under-rate the problem that he personally represents, above and beyond his party and enablers.  An erratic child-man with the emotional sophistication of Beavis and Butthead carrying around the nuclear codes of the most powerful arsenal in the world. 

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 06, 2017, 12:24:56 PM
Individuals far more accomplished and learned than I consider him the republic's greatest threat, and not without reason.

You all knew this beforehand, though.

Grumbler thinks we'll muddle through and he's seen empires fall before.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 06, 2017, 01:28:25 PM
He is C-in-C at a time when the US is drifting into confrontation with a nuclear power, and while there are some responsible advisors to help him, it  appears that at least half the time he is under the influence of the Unabomber twin (Bannon).  That's just the tip of a very big iceberg that the American ship of state keeps plowing into.  In a matter of months he has done brutal damage to decades of painstaking bipartisan work building the Pax Americana.

The Republicans suck but their awfulness is dwarfed by the blight that is Trump.  Pence is a rightwing zealot, a bona fide weirdo who would be a terrible President.  And yet still orders of magnitude better than Trump.  It really is very hard to under-rate the problem that he personally represents, above and beyond his party and enablers.  An erratic child-man with the emotional sophistication of Beavis and Butthead carrying around the nuclear codes of the most powerful arsenal in the world.
Americans just need a small nuclear war to get it out of their systems.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017