News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: DGuller on July 02, 2017, 12:03:30 PM
Trump is like Londo Mollari.  The Trump from before the election campaign was Londo before his association with the Shadows, the election campaign Trump was Londo as an agent of Shadows, and Trump's presidency is Londo after getting his keeper.  Twitter to Trump must be like alcohol to Londo, a chance to wrestle few minutes of control for yourself so that you can deliberately sabotage yourself.

no vir cotto near to save this londo however

crazy canuck

Trump is like Londo Mollari.  The Trump from before the election campaign was Londo before his association with the Shadows, the election campaign Trump was Londo as an agent of Shadows, and Trump's presidency is Londo after getting his keeper.  Twitter to Trump must be like alcohol to Londo, a chance to wrestle few minutes of control for yourself so that you can deliberately sabotage yourself.

Well done  :thumbsup:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 02, 2017, 03:13:47 PM
Quote from: bogh on July 02, 2017, 02:28:55 PM
Would you regard someone calling out the certainty of US soldiers dying as a consequence of a DOW over the top or histrionic?

Overall, I find the rejection of  objections (that people will die) pretty lame - and fudging it in some odd indirect vs. direct separation is semantics.

Just say out loud that you care more about your tax dollars and personal cost than about the fact that other people might die. That is an actual POV. The idea that cutting back health care wont directly impact anyone is dishonest. Ridiculing people for stating that mortality rates among people dropping off insurance will go up, calling them hysterical and stupid, is an attempt to evade the actual conversation and dodge having to state the actual POV.

I think it's histrionic because, as I mentioned earlier, we can always spend one more dollar to decrease a chance of death somewhere in the world, or further regulate human activity to achieve the same end.  That's the point made by the rather brilliant parody video.  Obamacare didn't cover 100% of Americans, and by the logic you laid out PEOPLE DIED as a result.  To achieve internal consistency Warren would have had to give that same speech throughout the Obama administration, until the day we were spending 100% of GDP on health care.

I have also have an undeveloped idea that all attempts to cast shame are going to be met with derision.  Another one is that for an emotional outburst to have some impact the incident needs to be distinguishable from the person's base state.

Or the US could spend less than it spends now, have a single payor system and reduce the number of people who die because of a lack of medical care to pretty much zero.

But of course that won't happen while people like you defend destruction of the system the US does now provide and then everyone will realize the US system must be changed to a single payor system.  So I suppose you are a necessary evil.  If you did not exist we would have to invent you.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

In a later statement, the news network said "clearly, Sarah Huckabee Sanders lied... [he is] involved in juvenile behaviour far below the dignity of this office."

"We will keep doing our jobs. He should start doing his."

Indeed.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Monoriu

:lol:

bogh

I think it's histrionic because, as I mentioned earlier, we can always spend one more dollar to decrease a chance of death somewhere in the world, or further regulate human activity to achieve the same end.  That's the point made by the rather brilliant parody video.  Obamacare didn't cover 100% of Americans, and by the logic you laid out PEOPLE DIED as a result.  To achieve internal consistency Warren would have had to give that same speech throughout the Obama administration, until the day we were spending 100% of GDP on health care.

So anything not 100% achievable is pointless? Obamacare did not cover 100% and plenty of criticism was levelled against that (especially in retrospect as it fell short of its ambitions). People certainly died as a result of Obamacare only partially resolving the issue.

But improving it significantly, though short of the perfect coverage, versus massively and actively reducing the coverage rate are two pretty different things. Treating them as equivalents is patently false and Warren would be incredibly inconsistent if she gave the same speech in either situation.

Do you dispute the fact that lots people will go from insured to uninsured under the new scheme? Do you dispute that uninsured status will lead to poorer health and ultimately higher mortality?

Again - you are absolutely entitled to think that your money should not be spent saving other peoples lives (at all or to a specific level). Just argue that instead of trying to invalidate Warrens position as hypocritical.

grumbler

Quote from: bogh on July 03, 2017, 02:33:56 AM

So anything not 100% achievable is pointless? Obamacare did not cover 100% and plenty of criticism was levelled against that (especially in retrospect as it fell short of its ambitions). People certainly died as a result of Obamacare only partially resolving the issue.

But improving it significantly, though short of the perfect coverage, versus massively and actively reducing the coverage rate are two pretty different things. Treating them as equivalents is patently false and Warren would be incredibly inconsistent if she gave the same speech in either situation.

Do you dispute the fact that lots people will go from insured to uninsured under the new scheme? Do you dispute that uninsured status will lead to poorer health and ultimately higher mortality?

Again - you are absolutely entitled to think that your money should not be spent saving other peoples lives (at all or to a specific level). Just argue that instead of trying to invalidate Warrens position as hypocritical.

It is interesting that nowhere in this post do you actually address Yi's issue.  This is a sermon, not an argument.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

bogh

Quote from: grumbler on July 03, 2017, 08:54:05 AM
It is interesting that nowhere in this post do you actually address Yi's issue.  This is a sermon, not an argument.

OK.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: bogh on July 03, 2017, 02:33:56 AM
Treating them as equivalents is patently false and Warren would be incredibly inconsistent if she gave the same speech in either situation.

They are equivalents in that PEOPLE DIE.

Leave 18 million uninsured.  PEOPLE WILL DIE.

Leave 10,000 uninsured.  PEOPLE WILL DIE.

Roll back coverage for 30 million currently insured.  PEOPLE WILL DIE.

CountDeMoney

Razgovory

I wonder how To would answer the trolley   problem.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 03, 2017, 01:58:39 PM
SAVINGS SAVINGS SAVINGS

But not even. They'll just allocate collected funds to something else.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on July 03, 2017, 02:37:21 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 03, 2017, 01:58:39 PM
SAVINGS SAVINGS SAVINGS

But not even. They'll just allocate collected funds to something else.

Says who?  It's all about tax cuts.  There will no be collected funds.

garbon

The Republicans who still manage to keep up spending?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.