What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

We've been thorough this before, Mongers.  Going all the way back to EUOT.  Now you're just being obtuse.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 20, 2017, 04:58:03 PM
We've been thorough this before, Mongers.  Going all the way back to EUOT.  Now you're just being obtuse.

I didn't realise Austria was the same.

Also I wonder if France has any hang-ups on Vichy decals? 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

dps

Quote from: mongers on June 20, 2017, 05:01:36 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 20, 2017, 04:58:03 PM

I didn't realise Austria was the same.

Also I wonder if France has any hang-ups on Vichy decals? 

Of course they have hang-ups about it.  Geez.

Admiral Yi

I have no idea what symbols, if any, are Vichy-related.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 20, 2017, 05:36:05 PM

A weird ax thingie which was Petain's symbol.

There's also this, according to wiki:

Valmy

Yeah I have a bunch of Vichy coins. Instead of Liberté Égalité Fraternité they say Travail Patrie Famille or 'Work Fatherland Family'. The actual name of Vichy France was 'État Français' (which is what the EF stands for) or 'The French State'. The Vichy Axe referred to the axes used by the Franks. So you see all the fascist and ethnic symbolism there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 20, 2017, 05:36:05 PM

Like this:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 20, 2017, 04:23:14 PM
QuoteDonald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

While I greatly appreciate the efforts of President Xi & China to help with North Korea, it has not worked out. At least I know China tried!
2:38 PM · Jun 20, 2017

I really wish he would stop doing this.  Insane sociopath strongmen don't like being vaguely threatened by being referred to in the past tense, and I doubt Kim does, either.

China FAILED! Sorry Mono.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

It's almost as hilariously threatening as his Cuba speech the other day, straight out of 1963.

Little Marco even chimed in, I heard him say yesterday that the Cuban military was directly involved in regional destabilization, particularly in Venezuela. 

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on June 20, 2017, 12:26:07 PM
I agree that a free press is essential to a functioning democracy. I do not think that groups organizing to pressure advertisers to not put their marketing money into odious outlets is a threat to the free press at this point, not even remotely. The pressure they exert on the the nature and direction of the discourse pales in comparison to the influence of various oligarchs and their money - whether we're talking people like Murdoch and his media empire or the Mercers funding Breitbart.

Even with the oligarchs I think that's probably alright even if I'm not fond of most of them or the political agendas they successfully peddle via their outlets.

To me "free press" means "free from government censorship" combined with a diverse set of views being represented. It does not mean that any given outlet has a right to advertising dollars with no connection made to the advertisers in the public mind.
Yes, in theory, freedoms are defined with freedom against government action in mind.  However, in this days and age, we live in a very interconnected world, where economic boycott can deal catastrophic damage to individuals almost as effectively. 

Being on the wrong end of social media viral outrage has ruined the lives of many people.  I'm not okay with it, even if the government had nothing to do with the angry mobs that formed up to destroy individuals for shits and giggles.  So, I do think that we need to be careful with economic boycotts, it's not always filth like Breitbart that will be on the receiving end of it.  Just because the founding fathers didn't put it on the a piece of paper 200+ years ago doesn't mean that it's not a good idea.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on June 20, 2017, 06:32:49 PM
Yes, in theory, freedoms are defined with freedom against government action in mind.  However, in this days and age, we live in a very interconnected world, where economic boycott can deal catastrophic damage to individuals almost as effectively. 

Being on the wrong end of social media viral outrage has ruined the lives of many people.  I'm not okay with it, even if the government had nothing to do with the angry mobs that formed up to destroy individuals for shits and giggles.  So, I do think that we need to be careful with economic boycotts, it's not always filth like Breitbart that will be on the receiving end of it.  Just because the founding fathers didn't put it on the a piece of paper 200+ years ago doesn't mean that it's not a good idea.

You're basically calling for legislation to prohibit otherwise legal acts that are done for stupid reasons.  Part of freedom is the freedom to be a retard.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 20, 2017, 06:35:25 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 20, 2017, 06:32:49 PM

You're basically calling for legislation to prohibit otherwise legal acts that are done for stupid reasons.  Part of freedom is the freedom to be a retard.
If you being a retard badly hurts other people, it's reasonable to contemplate putting limits on your ability to be a retard.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on June 20, 2017, 06:38:18 PM
If you being a retard badly hurts other people, it's reasonable to contemplate putting limits on your ability to be a retard.

Unretarded consumer choices hurt people as well.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 20, 2017, 06:39:22 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 20, 2017, 06:38:18 PM

Unretarded consumer choices hurt people as well.
It's all a matter of degree, which makes it a hard judgment call.  That doesn't mean that one should always seek the comfort of absolutes.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 20, 2017, 02:37:43 PM
You know, everyone talks about Germany's badass uniforms but those brown party sacks were hideous.
the SS and Gestapo uniforms were badass.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.