News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Given what the Republican party now supports, I can see why people might find it hard to be friends with Republicans.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 03, 2017, 07:54:50 PM
Is that a word?

Not really;  I just made it up, but Raz's version is better.

Another possibility is that she's daft enough to think that she's in Congress, not on the Seattle City Council.

CountDeMoney

Crazy_Ivan80

Ed Anger

Quote from: garbon on June 04, 2017, 02:02:46 AM
Given what the Republican party now supports, I can see why people might find it hard to be friends with Republicans.

I'll be your friend.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on June 04, 2017, 02:02:46 AM

My friendships are strong enough I can tell them they're ignorant mouthbreathing fucktard racists.

garbon

http://www.teenvogue.com/story/kathy-griffin-performative-outrage-relativity-shame-thigh-high-politics

QuoteOn Kathy Griffin, Performative Outrage, and the Relativity of Shame
Stop pretending to be outraged by her gross video.

Earlier this week, Kathy Griffin released a mind-numbingly stupid video in which she stares wide-eyed into the camera, holding a gruesome mold that resembled Donald Trump's severed head. The prop was dripping with blood and the Internet smelled it almost immediately.

Backlash was exactly what Griffin was aiming for — and it certainly wasn't unjustified — but there was something inauthentic about the intensity of the response. The stunt was quickly glommed in with "the left," which contributed to the tribalism of public condemnation from both sides. Conservatives clutched their pearls in unison, while mainstream media figures like CNN's Jake Tapper and Anderson Cooper clarified their personal disturbance as if participating in a roll call. The posturing of righteous indignation was not only the safest possible reaction, but something of an obligation. This outrage performance is an unnerving handicap on the productivity of public discourse and further evidence of our mounting inability to process relativity in a moment where the cultural force of shame appears to be malfunctioning. Or, in other words: Where the hell is the line if Donald Trump gets to be president?

Trump rose to political prominence with his inherently bigoted stance on Obama birtherism, and was elected despite a rich history of racist housing policy and sexual assault allegations. On the 2016 campaign trail, he called Mexicans rapists, took aim at the families of war heroes, and said he could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue without losing voters. Then he won the election.

The simple fact that Trump won the election marked a condonation of his rap sheet, which continues to destabilize our propensity for shock. And while we discussed the merits of Kathy Grifin trying too hard to get attention, Trump pulled out of the Paris Agreement, effectively cancelling the United States's commitment to the preservation of the planet. If this course goes uncorrected, environmental disasters will increase, and our children and grandchildren will be forced to grapple with unimaginably harsh daily conditions. But please, keep dragging Kathy Griffin on Twitter.

This isn't about whether what Griffin did was really so bad, but our collective inability to prioritize a system of shared values. Holding up the decapitated head of the president is deeply disturbing, but so was Trump's mocking of a disabled reporter and bragging about sexually assaulting women on the Access Hollywood tapes. We're all well aware that Trump's list of unforgivable infractions is longer than a Costco receipt, and yet he occupies our highest office, supremely unscathed. Meanwhile, the factionalized mobs slice through even the most irrelevant public figures with brute force. In both conservative condemnation and progressive purity checking, the standards apply to everyone except the man who ought to be held up as the highest example. We're living in an outrage culture without any sort of enforceable set point.

Less than 24 hours after the stunt, Griffin admitted to her mistake. "I'm a comic. I cross the line. I move the line, then I cross it," she said in an apology video. "I went way too far." But, again, where is the line exactly? It has become increasingly unclear what is unacceptable and who decides as much.

In this case, the decision fell to corporate America. Griffin lost her New Year's Eve gig, much like Trump's Access Hollywood accomplice, Billy Bush, lost his job at the Today show because of his role in the recording. Advertisers are becoming increasingly politicized, and companies, media and otherwise, are unwilling to bear the burden of risk. The problem is that the calculus that informs those decisions has been thrown completely out of whack. When Trump was elected, it seemed that the impossible success of his shamelessness had ushered in a post-shame moment. And it did, but only for him.

Ours is an era of unbalanced pitchforking in which one can be shamed out of CNN and NBC, but not the Oval Office. And we are all somewhat complicit. This noxious phenomena is a long way from fixing, but each of us can be more thoughtful about our participation. When the next opportunity for outrage emerges, check in with your genuine reaction before diving headfirst into the bouncy house of public shame. You know, do you, but investigating Russian collusion, safeguarding American democracy, and protecting the future of the Earth are just a few items of concern that might be more pressing than a comedian doing a dumb thing. Be mindful to focus your energy on issues of true significance and avoid performing emotions for the sake of likes and retweets. When each day presents a fresh cornucopia of reasons to be terrified for the future of this country, there really is no need to fake it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Teen Vogue.  We've crossed a new line.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 04, 2017, 01:19:54 PM

Teen Vogue has been very political since the Rise of Trump.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on June 04, 2017, 01:20:41 PM

Teen Vogue has been very political since the Rise of Trump.

Yes, they have.  If some media outlets can't or won't find their voice, others will.

crazy canuck

Yeah, youth are becoming more politically aware and the media they consume are reflecting that fact.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

citizen k

Quote from: The Brain on June 04, 2017, 03:22:25 PM
I read Seventeen Clip politically.

My favorite long form political criticism journal is tigerbeat.com