Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 13, 2017, 08:04:35 PM
Quote from: Jacob on February 13, 2017, 07:02:39 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 13, 2017, 06:40:10 PM
You don't really lose much either. Well maybe chance that Trump randomly decides to like you and your evil NAFTA.

Canada stands to lose a lot from needlessly pissing off the US. You're a superpower - economically and economically. You are our largest trading partner.

Should the US turn into a bona fide Fascist dictatorship, I expect the Canadian government to stick to the "American internal affairs are for Americans. We may have some disagreements, but we the foundation of our relationship is neighbourliness" and smile.

Yeah, but the sad part is we're your largest trading partner.  We sink to the bottom, you're going to be drowning with us.
I know.  It'll be years before the European trade deals bears its fruits, and without the TPP the west coast is fucked if the US sinks.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

11B4V

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQd5lB7hNK1/

No way. How can you possibly show off doing secretive BS like this. For shame Obama.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 13, 2017, 08:04:35 PM
Yeah, but the sad part is we're your largest trading partner.  We sink to the bottom, you're going to be drowning with us.

Yup, there's no doubt about that.

Jacob

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 13, 2017, 08:52:54 PM
Canada needs invadin'

I wonder if we'd go the insurgency route or we'd just hand over the key's to parliament.

Grey Fox

Ontario would rebel. Hopefully Quebec would petitition for statehood immediately.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Syt

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/319311-gop-chairman-wont-request-trumps-tax-returns-from-treasury

QuoteGOP chairman won't request Trump's tax returns from Treasury

House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Kevin Brady (R-Texas) on Monday said he would not request President Trump's tax returns from the Treasury secretary, as a Democratic committee member had urged.

"My belief is that if Congress begins to use its powers to rummage around in the tax returns of a president, what prevents Congress from doing the same to average Americans," Brady said. "Privacy and civil liberties are still important rights in this country, and [the] Ways and Means Committee is not going to start to weaken that."

Rep. Bill Pascrell (D-N.J.) sent Brady a letter earlier this month asking him to take advantage of a provision in the federal tax code and request Trump's tax returns from Treasury so that the Ways and Means Committee could review them in a closed session and consider whether they should be made public. Under federal tax law, the chairmen of the Ways and Means Committee, the Senate Finance Committee and the Joint Committee on Taxation can make such a request.

Pascrell said he hoped his request would allow the public to judge Trump's conflicts of interest.
"President Trump is now governing while also owning a business with international investments," he wrote in his letter. "The Constitution faces unprecedented threats due to this arrangement."

But Brady told reporters that he rejects Pascrell's argument.

"I've read his letter, and I disagree with all of it," he said. "And, in fact, that letter misrepresents the legislative intent of that provision, which in fact creates confidentiality and privacy for Americans in their tax returns."

Pascrell's letter noted that the Ways and Means Committee previously requested and released some taxpayer information when it was investigating the IRS's treatment of conservative groups' applications for tax-exempt status.

Brady said that in that case, taxpayer information was requested "to investigate what was clearly misleading information from the Internal Revenue Service as they tried to mislead the American public and mislead Congress about their targeting of average Americans based on their political beliefs."

After Brady's comments, Pascrell said in a statement Monday that using the committee's power to share Trump's business interests with the public is "Checks and Balances 101."

"I hoped and still hope that my friend Kevin Brady will put country over party. This isn't a partisan issue," he said, promising to keep pressing the issue.

Trump is the first president in decades not to release his tax returns. He said during the campaign that he would not release his returns while under audit by the IRS. However, the IRS has said that nothing prevents someone from making public their own tax information.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

"Yeah, you just stand off in the back with all the other chicks and look pretty."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Zanza

11B4V

First lady..er... First Woman.... :huh: If she wasn't his daughter.........

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on February 14, 2017, 01:16:14 AM
Why is his daughter there?

I'm betting that "meeting with women business leaders" was her idea, not his.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Jacob

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on February 13, 2017, 10:15:38 PM
Quote from: Jacob on February 13, 2017, 07:02:39 PM
You're a superpower - economically and economically.

:yes: No two ways about it.

Well at least someone reads my posts...

That was meant to be "economically and militarily"  :blush:

Syt

Quote from: Jacob on February 13, 2017, 05:12:02 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on February 13, 2017, 02:45:24 PM
With all the leaks and opsec violations and general incompetence plaguing this administration the Israelis/Chinese/Russians/Martians must be having a field day at their spy agencies

Did we already cover how people got to snap selfies with the gentleman holding the nuclear football?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-turns-mar-a-lago-club-terrace-into-open-air-situation-room/2017/02/13/c5525096-f20d-11e6-a9b0-ecee7ce475fc_story.html?utm_term=.903fdbdf9cbe

... and now think back to the shit some people gave Biden for even pointing at the guy carrying the football during the campaign.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

Quote from: Zanza on February 14, 2017, 01:16:14 AM
Why is his daughter there?

I guess that she'll be for all intents and purposes the unofficial First Lady, as apparently Melania has no interest whatsoever in moving into the White House. Why she's in meetings with foreign leaders without holding any relevant position in the president's team? Beats me, and I don't know how it's tolerated.