Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 02, 2017, 10:38:48 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on February 01, 2017, 09:35:10 PM
Apparently the actual draft

Hobby Lobby was the crack in the door where the mantra of "religious freedom" can be used to overturn a century of progress on worker rights and anti-discrimination.  And one of the key players behind that decision?  10th circuit Judge Gorsuch - whose concurring opinion at the appeal's court level was over-the-top loopy.

I wonder if the same freedoms will be afforded to Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist, or Hindu believers.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Well that is the thing I don't get. For people so worried about Sharia Law they sure seem eager to create the legal framework for it to thrive.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on February 02, 2017, 07:32:06 AM
I'm rather worried that the tensions between Trump and Australia might become worse. Given his administration's track record, I'm worried that if he sends the bombers they'll be sent to Austria by accident.

Whatever, we're going to have to settle up with you Germans anyway and your sneaky manipulative Euro.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on February 02, 2017, 10:45:10 AM
Well that is the thing I don't get. For people so worried about Sharia Law they sure seem eager to create the legal framework for it to thrive.

It will be fun to see what happens when Mahmoud & Sons demands all their employees to practice jihad and then brings a RFRA suit to shut down FBI counterterror ops.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Oexmelin

Quote from: LaCroix on February 02, 2017, 09:15:17 AM
marti got nasty with almost everyone. the only people I've been kinda nasty with are dguller and oex, both of whom just seem like pretty bad people IRL

I am not the one bending over backwards trying to defend a vindictive, hateful, spiteful, fascistic regime. And while you are laughing your ass off, trolling about Great America, some of us have loved ones caught in this shit. So yeah, I am less inclined to find it amusing.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

I have met Oex in real life and he was a scholar and a gentleman. -_-
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

LaCroix

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 02, 2017, 10:38:48 AMHobby Lobby was the crack in the door where the mantra of "religious freedom" can be used to overturn a century of progress on worker rights and anti-discrimination.  And one of the key players behind that decision?  10th circuit Judge Gorsuch - whose concurring opinion at the appeal's court level was over-the-top loopy.

could you explain what part of his concurrence was over-the-top loopy? I read the first five paragraphs and didn't see anything absolutely crazy about it. seemed like a valid interpretation, if different than other valid interpretations

also, why do some judges write opinions without clear organization :bleeding: how are you supposed to skim

LaCroix

Quote from: Valmy on February 02, 2017, 10:56:32 AM

his posts just seem consistently condescending regardless of the subject matter. the posts at least might be some of the most consistently condescending that I think I've ever seen on the internet

The Larch

Quote from: LaCroix on February 02, 2017, 11:04:58 AM
Quote from: Valmy on February 02, 2017, 10:56:32 AM

his posts just seem consistently condescending regardless of the subject matter. the posts at least might be some of the most consistently condescending that I think I've ever seen on the internet

If you confuse being articulate and passionate with being condescending that really explains a lot.

LaCroix

Quote from: The Larch on February 02, 2017, 11:07:19 AMIf you confuse being articulate and passionate with being condescending that really explains a lot.

I mean condescension, not articulation and passion

viper37

Quote from: Lettow77 on February 02, 2017, 07:05:39 AM
Very unfair comparisons have been made to George Wallace, which do no justice at all to Wallace's eloquence and political acumen. I do look forward to a harder stance being taken with China, though.
Option #1: Sign the TPP and see China's influence in Asia wane over time, to the point they won't have the means of their military ambitions.

Option #2: Scrap the TPP, give a lot of leeway to China to be the dominant economic player in the area, beat the drums of war, send countless US soldiers to die against China, North Korea and stand alone there while you couldn't even win a war against Vietnam.

As a good Republican, option #2 is the preferable one, I guess.  From a President that thinks of America first, apparently.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

If you wanted just option #1, there was no need to make TPP so bad.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on February 02, 2017, 11:51:10 AM
Option #2: Scrap the TPP, give a lot of leeway to China to be the dominant economic player in the area, beat the drums of war, send countless US soldiers to die against China, North Korea and stand alone there while you couldn't even win a war against Vietnam.

China also couldn't even win a war against Vietnam. Just saying.

grumbler

Quote from: LaCroix on February 01, 2017, 10:24:45 PM
it was probably some off-handed remark while fuming that meant to convey he has the mandate of the states

We don't know the context so arguments about what it "probably was" are mere ignorant  assertions.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

LaCroix

Quote from: grumbler on February 02, 2017, 12:17:42 PMWe don't know the context so arguments about what it "probably was" are mere ignorant  assertions.

we know he was fuming during the conversation, but you're right that iirc we don't know whether he was fuming when he made the comment