News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: LaCroix on January 10, 2017, 04:32:43 PM
I'm the guy who says it's fine when there's turbulence. someone who supports vaccinations but is cautious is now chairing a commission. allegedly, both care about the science. if the science is conclusive, then what's the result going to be?\

Is this a joke?
RFK Jr. compared childhood vaccination to the Holocaust.  He is not "cautious" he is incendiary and  stark raving on the subject.
Neither he nor Trump evince any respect for, or even basic understanding of, science and the scientific method.
At this point even the most gross naiveté could not justify thinking that Trump would respect a scientific conclusion if it went against what he wanted to do.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

11B4V

:lol: and then small pox and polio returns.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on January 10, 2017, 04:35:36 PM
Let's all just not think about what's going to happen in a week and a half and enjoy the last few days of the Obama presidency.  I can't decide which watch party I want to attend for his farewell address tonight.

And by the way, I still have some Obama plates available...

Do they have Trump plates? Or is that just an Obama thing?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Let's all just not think about what's going to happen in a week and a half and enjoy the last few days of the Obama presidency.  I can't decide which watch party I want to attend for his farewell address tonight.

You really don't do smug well at all.

Go get some pointers from Xiacob or the other Canadians.  That's professional smugness for you.

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on January 10, 2017, 04:43:35 PM

Do they have Trump plates? Or is that just an Obama thing?

26.95 on Zazzle.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on January 10, 2017, 04:57:36 PM
Collect a full set Spicey!

Just not the same.  Seriously no 22kt gold rim on these??  PASS
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

LaCroix

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 10, 2017, 04:40:10 PMIs this a joke?
RFK Jr. compared childhood vaccination to the Holocaust.  He is not "cautious" he is incendiary and  stark raving on the subject.
Neither he nor Trump evince any respect for, or even basic understanding of, science and the scientific method.
At this point even the most gross naiveté could not justify thinking that Trump would respect a scientific conclusion if it went against what he wanted to do.

none of that was in the article as posted :P

I agree that's not cautious. but, if the commission considers the scientific evidence, and I don't see how it could disregard the evidence and be credible, then what's the harm? there's clearly no link between vaccination and autism, and apparently there's little to no science suggesting thiomersal vaccinations are harmful. so, the commission either releases a non-credible report that's attacked, or it releases a credible report

(edit) overlooked your last sentence. agree that if trump really wants to rage against vaccinations, he'd do that regardless of the evidence. I'm not sure he really wants to do that -- he might honestly want to figure it out what's the deal with these allegations that he has probably never really looked into. so, he chooses an outsider to chair the commission. but the evidence is out there regardless of who chairs the commission.

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 10, 2017, 04:50:02 PM
You really don't do smug well at all.

The nouveau smug are so crass.

QuoteGo get some pointers from Xiacob or the other Canadians.  That's professional smugness for you.

:hug:

Jacob

Quote from: LaCroix on January 10, 2017, 05:00:08 PM
none of that was in the article as posted :P

I agree that's not cautious. but, if the commission considers the scientific evidence, and I don't see how it could disregard the evidence and be credible, then what's the harm? there's clearly no link between vaccination and autism, and apparently there's little to no science suggesting thiomersal vaccinations are harmful. so, the commission either releases a non-credible report that's attacked, or it releases a credible report

On Mr. Kennedy:
Quote from: The IndependentBut more recently Mr Kennedy has devoted his time to the issue of vaccines, writing a book and producing a documentary on the subject.

"They get the shot, that night they have a fever of a hundred and three, they go to sleep, and three months later their brain is gone," Mr Kennedy said at one screening in 2015 in California.

"This is a holocaust, what this is doing to our country."

He later apologised for the comment.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-appoints-robert-kennedy-jr-chair-vaccine-safety-committee-sceptic-autism-conspiracy-a7520351.html

Maybe he will consider the scientific evidence and reach a different conclusion. It is possible. There's probably no need to worry.

I mean, it's probably very unlikely that an un-credible report will be used as a basis for some sort of action... right?

The Minsky Moment

If they RFK considered the scientific evidence, he wouldn't have taken the positions he's taken and said the things he's said.
If Trump considered the scientific evidence, he wouldn't have made his comments on the subject, nor would we have appointed RFK Jr nor would he have set up a commission in the first place. 
It's blindingly obvious that this entire move is based on ignoring the scientific evidence.  So why would one expect a complete reversal of that behavior now?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

LaCroix

Quote from: Jacob on January 10, 2017, 05:03:55 PMMaybe he will consider the scientific evidence and reach a different conclusion. It is possible. There's probably no need to worry.

I mean, it's probably very unlikely that an un-credible report will be used as a basis for some sort of action... right?

it's possible that'll happen here, sure. but I'm less inclined to think a presidential commission will release a report that reads like an alex jones blog post, or whatever the feared outcome

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: LaCroix on January 10, 2017, 05:16:51 PM
it's possible that'll happen here, sure. but I'm less inclined to think a presidential commission will release a report that reads like an alex jones blog post, or whatever the feared outcome

You wouldn't think because it hasn't been done before. But hasn't been done before so far has not proven to be any obstacle to Trump's antics.
--Joan Robinson