Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on December 21, 2016, 09:48:26 AM
He just had to get that off his chest :D

Yes.  Again.  :lol:

You do realize that for the next 4 years we're all going to be reliving this election, don't you?

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 21, 2016, 11:46:48 AM
Quote from: derspiess on December 21, 2016, 09:48:26 AM
He just had to get that off his chest :D

Yes.  Again.  :lol:

You do realize that for the next 4 years we're all going to be reliving this election, don't you?

He's like the HS basketball player who took the winning shot in the state championship game:  that's all he wants to talk about, forever after.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Zanza

Gingrich said that Trump has given up on "drain the swamp".

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Eddie Teach

I was expecting Newt to be bitching about corruption because he was on the out.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- China critic Peter Navarro will run a new White House effort on trade in the Trump administration, the Financial Times reported. Navarro will head what's called the National Trade Council that would aim to boost job creation in infrastructure and defense and work with the National Security Council, the National Economic Council and the Domestic Policy Council. The report said it would mark the first time there was an office dedicated to manufacturing inside the White House. Navarro co-authored a white paper -- along with Commerce Secretary nominee Wilbur Ross -- on the trade, regulatory and energy policy impact of the Trump economic plan.

Works by Peter Navarro:

Death by China: Confronting the Dragon – A Global Call to Action, 2011

Crouching Tiger: What China's Militarism Means for the World, 2015

The Coming China Wars: Where They Will Be Fought, How They Can Be Won, 2006

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Zanza

What's the relation of those various councils and the federal departments that fulfill similar roles, e.g. this trade council and the department of commerce? Who actually makes policy? I assume all the administrative tasks are handled by the department.

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on December 21, 2016, 04:24:09 PM
What's the relation of those various councils and the federal departments that fulfill similar roles, e.g. this trade council and the department of commerce? Who actually makes policy? I assume all the administrative tasks are handled by the department.

The relation is who the President listens to. I think Yi pointed out that the team around the President is the part that holds the power, and the department secretaries often are sidelined. So this being a White House initiative means it is going to be directing policy through the President.

That is my understanding anyway.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza on December 21, 2016, 04:24:09 PM

The Trade Rep negotiates trade treaties.

Commerce processes dumping and countervailing duty (i.e. foreign subsidy) claims.

Foreign Trade Commission, AFAICT, only assesses damage from dumping and subsidies.

I wouldn't say that any of these make policy, in the way that, say, Education and Treasury do.

derspiess

If the losing side can't accept it and move on, we certainly will.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on December 21, 2016, 04:34:51 PM

If the losing side can't accept it and move on, we certainly will.

I don't see how they have much choice.