And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaCroix

Quote from: Valmy on December 16, 2016, 02:57:19 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on December 16, 2016, 02:54:30 PM
lots of people never gave obama a chance, just like lots of people aren't willing to give trump a chance.

Plenty of people who were optimistic about Obama changed their tune when they saw he was appointing conservative establishment types to his cabinet. I don't see why Trump cannot be judged by his cabinet appointees as well.

trump is looking p good from his cabinet appointees given how low expectations were. he cut out christie, giuliani, gingrich, etc. he's not pushing to indict clinton, etc. etc. there's been a number of positive things trump has indicated that get glossed over. I think people created an image of trump in their head during the election, and that image has carried over despite some positive things that suggest trump won't literally be hitler

Berkut

I think you are setting the bar at "As long as he isn't *literally* Hitler, whatever he does is pretty great!"
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

LaCroix

Quote from: Berkut on December 16, 2016, 03:02:56 PM
I think you are setting the bar at "As long as he isn't *literally* Hitler, whatever he does is pretty great!"

you can't possibly expect greatness from trump. the best you can realistically hope for is a not-terrible presidency.

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on December 16, 2016, 03:01:50 PM
trump is looking p good from his cabinet appointees given how low expectations were. he cut out christie, giuliani, gingrich, etc. he's not pushing to indict clinton, etc. etc. there's been a number of positive things trump has indicated that get glossed over. I think people created an image of trump in their head during the election, and that image has carried over despite some positive things that suggest trump won't literally be hitler

Well that is certainly a way to look at it.

Likewise some people took heart that Obama seemed to be more thoughtful and moderate than his rhetoric suggested. Others hated that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

You need to tighten up the thesis you are arguing.  Yes, there have a couple of appointments that have not been worst case.  Does that mean we can not think other appointments are disastrous?

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 16, 2016, 03:10:47 PM

You need to tighten up the thesis you are arguing.  Yes, there have a couple of appointments that have not been worst case.  Does that mean we can not think other appointments are disastrous?

trump could have lined his cabinet with all the misfit toys possible. hell, throw in some actual russians. that he didn't is a positive sign that people seem to overlook. my argument has never been trump will be a great president or that things he's done in the past month suggest he will be a good president. he's done some good things, and that makes it possible he won't be utterly godawful

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on December 16, 2016, 03:16:03 PM
he's done some good things, and that makes it possible he won't be utterly godawful

Ok you have shown he could have done some worse things. But you cannot do a weasel move and then insist that means he has done some good things.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on December 16, 2016, 02:58:29 PM

A hostile foreign power has clearly involved itself in our elections, and your response is to post whatever alt right meme tickles your fancy that day. The idea that that is a response that is in any way just "having some fun" lost its currency a long time ago.

There are different versions of how Russia involved itself. If it did so by coordinating with the Trump campaign, then I agree that is a major problem that can not be overstated and if there is any sanity will result in the impeachment of Trump.

But if it is just that they hacked/spied on the DNC and related entities and released that information to aid Trump?

We involve ourselves in the democratic process of other countries. For example, Obama comments in the leadup to Brexit. We also spy on other countries. I don't know of cases that we used the output of spying just to influence an election, but it wouldn't be surprising considering we've backed coups of democratically elected leaders. I wouldn't even be surprised if we have used intelligence from spying to try to undermine/embarrass Putin. Heck, I remember back in the days of the Bush steel tariffs, the EU retaliated by specifically targeting goods produced in states critical to Bush's electoral college majority (such as Ohio).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

trump could have lined his cabinet with all the misfit toys possible. hell, throw in some actual russians. that he didn't is a positive sign that people seem to overlook. my argument has never been trump will be a great president or that things he's done in the past month suggest he will be a good president. he's done some good things, and that makes it possible he won't be utterly godawful

You seem to be overlooking people not overlooking positive signs.  I recall positive comments about Mattis.  I commented on Donald not throwing Hillary in the Tower.

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 16, 2016, 03:21:54 PM

You seem to be overlooking people not overlooking positive signs.  I recall positive comments about Mattis.  I commented on Donald not throwing Hillary in the Tower.

that's why I've tried to say some people. the issue I have is with those comments

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on December 16, 2016, 02:45:57 PM
As you can probably figure, I'm not really interested in getting into a deep discussion in which 10-15 people with opposing viewpoints stand ready to dissect everything I say.  That can be fun for a while, but it can get old and become too time consuming. 

That said, I thought I made it clear that I was unhappy when Trump clinched the nomination.  I had been a pretty fervent Rand Paul supporter and then a somewhat less fervent Ted Cruz supporter.  But I've coped with the situation since then.  I'm no fan of Trump, but seeing Hillary lose was a silver lining for me.  I know to many of you that makes me the evilest of evil and I don't care.

Dunno if anyone will recall, but I said multiple times that if Trump wins it would be a fun two weeks for me and then the hangover would set in.  I'll be honest-- the fun has lasted more than two weeks and may continue to the inauguration.  And even after that, I don't think the situation is as bad as you guys are claiming. 

Democracy is not dead (and if it is having a hiccup it will self-correct) and I actually think the economy may improve under Trump.  I didn't vote for Trump (though I'm perfectly okay with Berkut, Raz and grumbles thinking I did) and disagree with his populist stance on many issues, but like Dave Chappelle I'm going to give him a chance.

Fair enough.

I'm just wondering where the potential markers are from you moving from "giving him a chance" - which is a legit position to hold even if I find it hard to do myself - to "this is too far." I think it's worthwhile to look at that kind of thing before the to and fro of daily partisan argument starts with his actual administration.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on December 16, 2016, 03:23:39 PM
that's why I've tried to say some people. the issue I have is with those comments

So by your own standards the only acceptable posters are those who notice, and comment on, Trump actions that are less than entirely terrible as well as those that are terrible., by which standard I think you also fail.

LaCroix

there's no point of me, for example, posting a frown face re: sessions, because everyone else is doing it and it's no fun. if everyone loved trump, I'd probably post about sessions.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on December 16, 2016, 10:55:21 AM
Quote from: derspiess on December 16, 2016, 10:11:51 AM
Such doom & gloom. 

Well one thing I can count on: I personally will be fine. Wahoo!
You never know.  By the time the next civil war hit, maybe Forth Worth will be the Loyalists capital, with Trump in exile reigning from there and the front lines will extend around the San Antonio - Houston line.  ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on December 16, 2016, 03:37:02 PM
there's no point of me, for example, posting a frown face re: sessions, because everyone else is doing it and it's no fun. if everyone loved trump, I'd probably post about sessions.

Fair enough. :thumbsup: