And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on December 16, 2016, 02:03:44 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 16, 2016, 01:59:43 PM
Dunno why you guys are so focused on harmless folks like Ed and me when your ire should be directed at the person who jinxed you.

I'm not focusing any ire on you, I'm wondering where you actually stand behind the trolling and fluff.

As you can probably figure, I'm not really interested in getting into a deep discussion in which 10-15 people with opposing viewpoints stand ready to dissect everything I say.  That can be fun for a while, but it can get old and become too time consuming. 

That said, I thought I made it clear that I was unhappy when Trump clinched the nomination.  I had been a pretty fervent Rand Paul supporter and then a somewhat less fervent Ted Cruz supporter.  But I've coped with the situation since then.  I'm no fan of Trump, but seeing Hillary lose was a silver lining for me.  I know to many of you that makes me the evilest of evil and I don't care.

Dunno if anyone will recall, but I said multiple times that if Trump wins it would be a fun two weeks for me and then the hangover would set in.  I'll be honest-- the fun has lasted more than two weeks and may continue to the inauguration.  And even after that, I don't think the situation is as bad as you guys are claiming. 

Democracy is not dead (and if it is having a hiccup it will self-correct) and I actually think the economy may improve under Trump.  I didn't vote for Trump (though I'm perfectly okay with Berkut, Raz and grumbles thinking I did) and disagree with his populist stance on many issues, but like Dave Chappelle I'm going to give him a chance.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

He has a chance and there is nothing we can do about it until 2018 even indirectly.

QuoteDemocracy is not dead (and if it is having a hiccup it will self-correct)

No of course not. Just some shitty trends are rearing their ugly head that resemble certain places, like that paradise just to our South. Is Democracy dead in Mexico? No. But it has issues. Issues I would prefer not to see here.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on December 16, 2016, 02:27:44 PM
I don't think it will matter. He won't change his tune, I don't think.

If Trump sucks, I'll say Trump sucks.  What will it take for you lot to change your tune if the world doesn't explode?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Habbaku

I'm starting to wonder which is worse: the low-information voter, or the high-information voter that denies the reality around them or excuses it all away.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Maybe my ear lacks the extreme sensitivity of LaCroix and Spicey but I have yet to see anybody saying the world is about to be destroyed. Is saying Trump sucks and his decisions so far are worrisome the same as announcing the end of the world?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

LaCroix

with a president-elect like trump, I think I need to see concrete actions rather than words before I'm willing to condemn him. and by concrete actions, I don't mean tweets. from president-elect trump, I haven't seen much that's particularly alarming, beyond the trumpisms which may or may not become a massive problem.

I ate up all the memes spread about him here pre-election, but now I'm willing to give him a shot, because he's going to be our president, and that means something to some people.

LaCroix

Quote from: Valmy on December 16, 2016, 02:51:16 PM
Maybe my ear lacks the extreme sensitivity of LaCroix and Spicey but I have yet to see anybody saying the world is about to be destroyed. Is saying Trump sucks and his decisions so far are worrisome the same as announcing the end of the world?

dude dguller is a trump tweet away from strapping on explosives and taking down trump tower

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on December 16, 2016, 02:51:22 PM
I ate up all the memes spread about him here pre-election, but now I'm willing to give him a shot, because he's going to be our president, and that means something to some people.

I'm not even sure what that means. I have to give him a shot as I've no other choice. :mellow:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

LaCroix

Quote from: garbon on December 16, 2016, 02:53:20 PM

I'm not even sure what that means. I have to give him a shot as I've no other choice. :mellow:

lots of people never gave obama a chance, just like lots of people aren't willing to give trump a chance.

Valmy

I don't know what it means to not give him a shot. He will be President. He will do some shit. If the shit he does works then he will stay President.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on December 16, 2016, 02:41:08 PM
how likely is it people on the fence will begin to fear trump before he's had a chance to do anything in office? probably will take until January at least to see what trump does and whether there's anything to be concerned about

It's perfectly rational to form expectations, and fears, based on things he said during the campaign and how he has acted his entire life.

LaCroix

Quote from: Habbaku on December 16, 2016, 02:51:15 PM
I'm starting to wonder which is worse: the low-information voter, or the high-information voter that denies the reality around them or excuses it all away.

what's "the reality"?

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on December 16, 2016, 02:54:30 PM
lots of people never gave obama a chance, just like lots of people aren't willing to give trump a chance.

Plenty of people who were optimistic about Obama changed their tune when they saw he was appointing conservative establishment types to his cabinet. I don't see why Trump cannot be judged by his cabinet appointees as well.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: LaCroix on December 16, 2016, 02:52:51 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 16, 2016, 02:51:16 PM

dude dguller is a trump tweet away from strapping on explosives and taking down trump tower

Blueberries are overrated. Sad.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on December 16, 2016, 02:49:37 PM
Quote from: Berkut on December 16, 2016, 02:27:44 PM
I don't think it will matter. He won't change his tune, I don't think.

If Trump sucks, I'll say Trump sucks.  What will it take for you lot to change your tune if the world doesn't explode?

Clearly, you won't, since he is sucking right now and you are still saying "YEAH BUT HILLARY".

There are a lot of things that *could* have happened already that would make me a lot less concerned about Trump.

He could take the advice of people who know a fuckton more than he does about important topics seriously.
He could tell his famility that he appreciates all their support, but no Ivanka, he doesn't need you to sit in on his meetings with foreign heads of state, and doesn't need his son in law involved in running the country.
He could hire rational, intelligent men and women who aren't just sycophants for important jobs.
He could state unequivocally that he will not tolerate foreign powers interfering on our internal elections, even if it is on his side.

He could do about a million different things to make me think maybe he is more thoughtful, intelligent, insightful and less a narcissistic douche bag than his history makes clear. He has done none of those things though, and rather has followed the "I am a narcissistic con man that is good at suckering bigots into supporting me" playbook to the letter.

And you, like him, have played to your history perfectly as well.

A hostile foreign power has clearly involved itself in our elections, and your response is to post whatever alt right meme tickles your fancy that day. The idea that that is a response that is in any way just "having some fun" lost its currency a long time ago.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned