News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://money.cnn.com/2016/11/30/news/companies/donald-trump-conflicts-press-conference/index.html?adkey=bn

QuoteDonald Trump promised Wednesday to 'remove' himself from his businesses and said he will announce details in two weeks about how he'll avoid conflicts of interest when he is president.

Trump used his favorite method of communicating with the public -- Twitter -- to announce plans for a "major news conference" on Dec. 15 to discuss plans to leave the Trump Organization.

His adult children, whom he has said he will put in charge of the company, will be a part of the news conference.

Trump owns or has a position in more than 500 companies, according to a CNN analysis. That includes about 150 that have done business in at least 25 foreign countries, including Turkey, Qatar and Saudi Arabia.

There have been growing questions about the potential conflicts of interest posed by Trump's continued business interests and his role as president. A poll by CNN found that 6 in 10 Americans believe Trump is not doing enough to address conflicts of interest.

His tweets said he is not mandated to leave his business by law, but that "I feel it is visually important, as President, to in no way have a conflict of interest with my various businesses."

Trump also said he is doing so "in order to fully focus on running the country in order to make America great again." Legal documents are being crafted which take him completely out of business operations, he claimed. "The Presidency is a far more important task!"

The fact that he will hold a news conference is significant in itself. He has gone longer than any other recent president-elect without holding a press conference.
Most did it within the first three days following their election.

While Trump has sat down for interviews with some journalists, including Leslie Stahl from 60 Minutes and the New York Times, he has not held a press conference since July 27, which was shortly after the Republican National Convention.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

frunk

Syt

Quote from: frunk on November 30, 2016, 07:54:28 AM
Visually important?

That's what his tweet says. Maybe autocorrect from intended "vitally"?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Phillip V

Tamas

Tamas

I must say, I am looking forward to world politics being conducted via Twitter messages between heads of states.

When I first watched the movie Idiocracy I found it to be too condescending and painting an unrealistically bleak picture of our future. Now I think it is prophetic.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on November 30, 2016, 08:53:14 AM
I must say, I am looking forward to world politics being conducted via Twitter messages between heads of states.

When I first watched the movie Idiocracy I found it to be too condescending and painting an unrealistically bleak picture of our future. Now I think it is prophetic.

I thought twitter was having viability issues (and has been on a constant search for someone to purchase them). Will Trump bail them out? Too important to fail?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on November 30, 2016, 09:14:11 AM
Quote from: Tamas on November 30, 2016, 08:53:14 AM

I thought twitter was having viability issues (and has been on a constant search for someone to purchase them). Will Trump bail them out? Too important to fail?

They need to integrate an advertising program and fast, though only have it showing with Trump's tweets.

Oh and maybe limited to products that compete with Trump Inc. ones, that we Trump will see them and enter into a never ending Twitter rage feedback loop about them, a virtuous circle perhaps.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

frunk

Quote from: Syt on November 30, 2016, 08:26:22 AM
Quote from: frunk on November 30, 2016, 07:54:28 AM
Visually important?

That's what his tweet says. Maybe autocorrect from intended "vitally"?

David Copperfield will probably get involved.  "And Trump Tower...is gone!"

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: 11B4V on November 29, 2016, 09:51:29 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/29/politics/donald-trump-inauguration-price-tag/index.html

According to a copy of the "58th Presidential Inaugural Committee Underwriter Benefits" brochure obtained by CNN, for $1 million, donors will get tickets to a luncheon with Cabinet appointees and congressional leadership, dinner with the Vice President-elect and his wife, lunch with the first families, tickets to an "elegant" "candlelight dinner" featuring "special appearances by" Trump, Melania Trump, Mike Pence and his wife, Karen Pence, and tickets to the parade, swearing in concert and ball.
The brochure also offers various versions of the package for the $500,000, $250,000, $100,000 and $25,000 price points. All the packages include travel bookings and tickets to various events, with decreasing amounts of tickets and less access. While $250,000 and up includes the "candlelight" dinner and first family luncheon, less than that only gets access to the official inaugural events and, for $100,000 donors, the Cabinet.

With that cabinet they'd have pay me the 100K
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 30, 2016, 10:39:35 AM
With that cabinet they'd have pay me the 100K

Don't really think you'd have to worry about that, Mr. Suddenly-a-Gold-Star-Family-Member. #NeedsMoreFlair

Zanza

I often don't get the political traditions and customs in other countries and this is one example. Having a dinner with only millionaires for your inauguration would be a gigantic PR disaster in this social-democratic country. Why not a group of representative Americans from all walks of life?
And rich donors sponsoring political events happens here as well, but always a bit ashamed behind the scenes, not blatantly public, especially not with a price list and presumably people applying for a place.

dps

Quote from: Zanza on November 30, 2016, 12:10:36 PM
Why not a group of representative Americans from all walks of life?

Because no on in their right mind would want to have dinner with such a group.