News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: derspiess on November 11, 2016, 08:00:41 PM
Shadow presidency will not go over well here. Concept of a shadow cabinet may work in the UK but I think most Americans will either ignore it or think it pathetic.

Given the number of people who voted against him, and the number of people who voted for him only because they hated Hillary more, I think most people already think he's pathetic.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 12, 2016, 12:05:16 AM
Quote from: derspiess on November 11, 2016, 08:00:41 PM
Shadow presidency will not go over well here. Concept of a shadow cabinet may work in the UK but I think most Americans will either ignore it or think it pathetic.

Given the number of people who voted against him, and the number of people who voted for him only because they hated Hillary more, I think most people already think he's pathetic.

Okay, Tim. Do me a favor and root really hard for the shadow Presidency :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Savonarola

Quote from: Savonarola on November 11, 2016, 06:38:17 PM
In fact the media here is calling it a riot; even though the leaders of the protest apologized and started a gofundme campaign to pay for the damages.  Also the police shut down the interstates and rerouted traffic just in case the protesters were planning on shutting down the interstates again.

Okay, white people from the Pacific Northwest; that is to say, people from the Pacific Northwest, it's time to go home.  The Great Soy Latte Rebellion of 2016 is not going to change anything; you really don't get this whole civil unrest concept and you're ruining the concept of "Rioting" for me.

I went down to City Hall to see the demonstration last night.  It was actually worse than what I expected.  The speakers on the open mike kept telling the crowd they were significant, they should be proud of themselves, what they were doing was important and they should pat themselves on the back.  It was hard to know if I was listening to a protest or a motivational speaker.

I guess its a fitting protest to Donald Trump.  In America we may have to suffer terrible presidents, but we'll never suffer from lack of amour propre.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 11, 2016, 05:21:36 PM
The loss of the blue collar whites is the most critical to focus on I think, since I think it makes the path to unseating Trump in '20 a lot easier than a greater focus on women/minority turn out.

Just to clarify, are you suggesting that the Democrats should go full-on protectionist to defeat Trump merely as a political strategy, or are you saying the Democrats becoming protectionist is worth it to defeat Trump, or are you actually protectionist yourself?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Savonarola on November 11, 2016, 06:49:53 PM
Kalamazoo county is the one in SW Michigan that went Hil; it's both a university town (Western Michigan University) as well as a large facility for Pfizer (formerly Upjohn's headquarters.)  You're right it is about 82% white.

Two full lines about Kalamazoo, and you missed the most important fact about it by far.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

The Larch

So, any estimations on how many federal dollars he'll funnel to his businesses? Will he keep running them from the Oval Office?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Larch on November 12, 2016, 06:43:36 PM
So, any estimations on how many federal dollars he'll funnel to his businesses?

We'll never know, so why bother to guess.

QuoteWill he keep running them from the Oval Office?

Of course.

Admiral Yi

CountDeMoney