What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 28, 2017, 11:24:51 AM
Berk wants to blame the loser for losing, not the morons that elected the moron.

Seedy, was once again, right.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on April 28, 2017, 12:47:35 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 28, 2017, 12:39:20 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/05/politics/hillary-clinton-bill-clinton-paid-speeches/

I don't think CNN counts as a "GOP base" media.

$153 MILLION in paid speaking fees, almost all of which came from corporate America, and a huge percentage straight from Wall Street.

Well yeah. She supports free trade and sound economic policies. Something those entities would be in favor of. I mean it wasn't like she was going to go in and call for deep corporate tax cuts like the current guy who didn't get those fees.

Every single response from you is to compare her to Trump. It is as bad as Trump supporters responding to his pussy grabbing comments by talking about Clinton getting a blowjob.

I voted for her over Trump, so of course I think she is a much better option than him - so repeating that she is better than Trump really has no bearing, it is a given.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 28, 2017, 12:53:02 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 28, 2017, 11:24:51 AM
Berk wants to blame the loser for losing, not the morons that elected the moron.

Seedy, was once again, right.

Of course. The Dems should just keep doing exactly what they have been doing - everything is fine.

Heck maybe they can run Chelsea in eight years, because more Clintons is clearly the answer.

0 rows returned

Grey Fox

Nothing is fine.

What would be a good candidate out of the DNC for you?

Jacob

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/05/politics/hillary-clinton-bill-clinton-paid-speeches/

$153 MILLION in paid speaking fees, almost all of which came from corporate America, and a huge percentage straight from Wall Street.

Yeah that's a lot of money.

Two questions:

1) How does that compare to the speaking fees collected by people of similar stature?

2) What are the tangible benefits that corporate America has received from paying these speaking fees?

Berkut

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 28, 2017, 12:56:01 PM
Nothing is fine.

What would be a good candidate out of the DNC for you?

Didn't I answer that already?

Someone like Obama.

A Dem who strongly advocates for actual change and reform of a broken system. Someone young, and not already completely compromised by money.

Now, if Clinton runs against Trump in four years, she will still get my vote.

But clearly they need someone who can get those millions who voted for Obama to come back out again, and for that they need to figure out how to convince Dems that the current Dems actually give a shit about them, and not just relative to the Republicans who actively despise them.

And it would maybe be a good idea to stop calling the non-elites "deplorable" while they are at it.

Hell, given how close this was, that comment alone almost certainly cost her the election.

0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

I'm going with Throbby on the speakers fees.  You're supposed to cash out after you leave office, not before.

Berkut

Quote from: Jacob on April 28, 2017, 12:59:20 PM

Yeah that's a lot of money.

Two questions:

1) How does that compare to the speaking fees collected by people of similar stature?

I don't care - because if people of similar stature are also bought and paid for by corporate America, then I am happy to not believe in THEM as a solution as well. But I don't think there is anyone of similar stature to the Clintons. And oh how they leveraged that for every single dime....

2) What are the tangible benefits that corporate America has received from paying these speaking fees?

They seem to be doing pretty well.

Do you really believe that they give all that money away for nothing? What does "tangible" mean here? Are we to assume that there is no quid pro quo unless we can prove it somehow?

Its bizarre to me how otherwise seemingly progressive people will suddenly sound incredibly, well, Republican, when it is THEIR Democrat rolling around like Scrooge in the giant stacks of cash..."You can't prove that the $150 million dollars changed their voting behavior!"

Would that fly with you if I was bitching about Trumps conflicts of interest? Would you demand "tangible benefits" be proven to the Chinese before we find his behavior worthy of it impacting our views on a politician?

0 rows returned

Grey Fox

Quote from: Berkut on April 28, 2017, 01:00:26 PM

Someone like Obama.

A Dem who strongly advocates for actual change and reform of a broken system. Someone young, and not already completely compromised by money.

You hadn't really no, this is a better answer.

However, you keep on talking about Clinton.

Valmy

And it would maybe be a good idea to stop calling the non-elites "deplorable" while they are at it.

While I totally agree that the people she was referring to are, in fact, deplorable that was an idiotic mistake. She was a pretty bad campaigner. She had this really annoying tendency to build leads only to have them disappear overnight. I think she did that against Obama, Sanders, and Trump.

I wish I could say better luck with the next person, I don't think there is going to be a next person for the moderates. At least not for awhile.

And if somebody like Obama was available I think the Democrats would have eagerly ran him or her. But figures like him don't come along very often. It was kind of a fluke. He just materialized seemingly out of thin air during the 2004 election.

I guess that is where my hope lies. That somebody as basically reasonable who has Obama's campaigning talents materialized out of nowhere to lead us again.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 28, 2017, 01:05:08 PM

Someone like Obama.

You hadn't really no, this is a better answer.

However, you keep on talking about Clinton.

Indeed he does.

:hmm:

I mean on the balance Obama is okay but I'm not sure how good it is to strong advocate for real change if you are incapable of delivering.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on April 28, 2017, 01:08:12 PM

While I totally agree that the people she was referring to are, in fact, deplorable that was an idiotic mistake. She was a pretty bad campaigner. She had this really annoying tendency to build leads only to have them disappear overnight. I think she did that against Obama, Sanders, and Trump.

I wish I could say better luck with the next person, I don't think there is going to be a next person for the moderates. At least not for awhile.

As if somebody like Obama was available I think the Democrats would have eagerly ran him or her. But figures like him don't come along very often. It was kind of a fluke. He just materialized seemingly out of thin air during the 2004 election.

Agree with all of that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on April 28, 2017, 01:08:12 PM

I think the people she was talking about are by and large pretty deplorable.

But I think a lot of people she was not intentionally talking about, heard it anyway.

I think there is a lot of people in America who are pretty unhappy that one party seems to hate them, and the other party seems to view them with contempt.

Trump is about populism, and the only was a pure populist can thrive enough to become POTUS is for there to be a lot of people who don't think EITHER party gives a shit about them.

And I think about 6 million of them decided that while Trump might be terrible, Clinton could not give a shit about them either, so they just...didn't bother.

The numbers are staggering. 6 million people who voted for Obama in '12 didn't vote at all. And that was down from '08 as well - Some 12 million people who voted for Obama in '08 didn't vote in '16, or voted third party.

Forget the people who voted for Obama who voted for Trump (although that was a large enough number to change the outcome as well). Just the people who stayed home who voted for Obama would have made this a land slide.

Am I blaming Clinton? Damn right I am. She was a terrible candidate. SHE LOST TO DONALD FUCKING TRUMP.

People want to blame those who voted for Trump? Why?

Before the election, we all knew there was a fraction of the American electorate who were deplorable and would go for someone telling them what they wanted to hear. The story here is not the number of votes Der Trumpenfuhrere got, it is the number of votes the Dems did NOT get that made the difference.

And that is very much attributable to Clinton being a terrible candidate.

0 rows returned

garbon

garbon

By the by, let's actually visit what Clinton had to say:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2016/sep/11/context-hillary-clinton-basket-deplorables/

Quote"I know there are only 60 days left to make our case -- and don't get complacent, don't see the latest outrageous, offensive, inappropriate comment and think, well, he's done this time. We are living in a volatile political environment. You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right? The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic -- you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up. He has given voice to their websites that used to only have 11,000 people -- now 11 million. He tweets and retweets their offensive hateful mean-spirited rhetoric. Now, some of those folks -- they are irredeemable, but thankfully they are not America."

"But the other basket -- and I know this because I see friends from all over America here -- I see friends from Florida and Georgia and South Carolina and Texas -- as well as, you know, New York and California -- but that other basket of people are people who feel that the government has let them down, the economy has let them down, nobody cares about them, nobody worries about what happens to their lives and their futures, and they're just desperate for change. It doesn't really even matter where it comes from. They don't buy everything he says, but he seems to hold out some hope that their lives will be different. They won't wake up and see their jobs disappear, lose a kid to heroin, feel like they're in a dead-end. Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well."

The soundbite wasn't great but the I don't know what full 5 minutes? Not exactly damning stuff.