What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 09, 2016, 03:07:14 AM
I'm a lifelong Republican who voted for Hillary, but obviously there were not nearly enough white men like me to make the difference.

What I will say is this--I opposed his candidacy, but I believe in the sanctity of this high office, and our democratic system. Trump is entitled to, and deserves, a measure of respect. I always gave Obama a measure of respect, despite opposing many of his policy issues. I will absolutely not root for Trump to fail, because that just hurts America. Trump is a billionaire, he could have a disastrous four years as President, send the country into a depression and lose office--and his life is still great. Trump doing bad doesn't punish Trump, it punishes us. I want for, and hope, a successful Trump Presidency.

If I were to put a positive spin on this, my hope is that on critical issues long ignored, like infrastructure, Trump could be one of the people to actually get something done. He has an incredible mandate. And frankly, he's more popular with the Republican base than most of the congress critters, if they block him on things like infrastructure, they could suffer real consequences. If we had a major infrastructure investment program, that could be a wonderful thing for the country. My hope is that he will listen to wise council, and will not levy disastrous and destructive economic tariffs on major trading partners. I hope he takes a hard line on China and Russia, and I think in ways his personality could aid us in the constant game of poker that is foreign relations. I hope that he doesn't pass his disastrous tax plan that will pauper the government and bankrupt the country.

If he does these things, his Presidency may not be that bad. Obviously with this man, there is a high risk of a true disaster, I know that--that's why I didn't vote for him, but I'll give him my neutral, supportive stance until I see what he will do in office.

That's the glass half full approach, and probably the rational one.  I'll probably go there once the shock wears off.

But what scares me is that Trump got elected by telling people that their lives were miserable, and that it was all someone else's fault.  If he's interested in re-election, he pretty much has to whip up a secret cabal that will still be potent and working against America in 2018 and 2020.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Oexmelin

Quote from: celedhring on November 09, 2016, 03:23:12 AM

Of course, my biggest concern in all of this is the empowering of similar far right insurgent movements in Europe, and the eventual weakening of the EU. We are only one election shock in France or Germany away from this, imho, or a smattering of similar ones in smaller countries.

Hungary is already there, and so is Poland to some extent. France is next. The left won't make it to the second round of voting, and it will probably be between Le Pen and whoever comes out of the right wing primary.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Tamas

QuoteBut what scares me is that Trump got elected by telling people that their lives were miserable, and that it was all someone else's fault.  If he's interested in re-election, he pretty much has to whip up a secret cabal that will still be potent and working against America in 2018 and 2020.

If he starts on that road it is going to be very dangerous. In Hungary Orban has done that, and since 2002 he has had to keep raising the stakes and escalating things as bigger and bigger enemies were needed to "fight".

Oexmelin

Even more worrisome, to me, is the total republican control, combined with the sort of celebration of authoritarianism, decadençe of Congress, and revanchist attitude, now buttressed by the sort of surveillance infrastructure that neither Framers of the 18th century, nor political bosses of the early 20th century could even have envisioned.
Que le grand cric me croque !

garbon

Quote from: Oexmelin on November 09, 2016, 08:03:58 AM
Even more worrisome, to me, is the total republican control, combined with the sort of celebration of authoritarianism, decadençe of Congress, and revanchist attitude, now buttressed by the sort of surveillance infrastructure that neither Framers of the 18th century, nor political bosses of the early 20th century could even have envisioned.

Yes, the only hope there is that the Republicans spiral into a civil war to keep them divided. Unfortunately, I don't know how likely that is if the general is any indication. Though on the other hand, now that they don't fear for their seats, they could potentially have spines.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Obamacare is gone, Cuban embargo is back at 100%. Roe v Wade will eventually be overturned. Syria is back in Assad's hand. Net Neutrality is probably gone too.

I wonder if I should call my local MP & talk him in to levy a motion to accept American citizen has refugees.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on November 09, 2016, 05:54:52 AM
If he's interested in re-election, he pretty much has to whip up a secret cabal that will still be potent and working against America in 2018 and 2020.

It'll tough - George Soros isn't getting any younger and the new generation of Jewish bankers lacks the same panache.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

I expect that his electorate will measure Trump on the implementation of some of his biggest domestic promises:
- building the wall
- getting rid of illegal and/or criminal immigrants
- being tough on Muslim immigration
- bringing jobs back to the US
- putting Clinton on trial/in jail
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Market didn't crash.  Guess some folks took a beating on DOW futures last night. :unsure:

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on November 09, 2016, 05:54:52 AM
But what scares me is that Trump got elected by telling people that their lives were miserable, and that it was all someone else's fault.  If he's interested in re-election, he pretty much has to whip up a secret cabal that will still be potent and working against America in 2018 and 2020.
Now you're worried?
And here I thought his damage would be very limited due to the check&balance of your political system...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 09, 2016, 10:17:06 AM
Market didn't crash.  Guess some folks took a beating on DOW futures last night. :unsure:
Yeah.  I was wrong about that too.  Apparently I have no clue what the fuck I am talking about.... like a lot of people lately. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Oexmelin on November 09, 2016, 08:03:58 AM
Even more worrisome, to me, is the total republican control

That's not nearly the danger it sounds like it is. They will take a while to come out of their circular firing squad long enough to realize they won, and even then they will still hate Trump.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

Fortunately, though, nearly all of the marijuana initiatives passed yesterday, so we can all smoke away our cares.  Make America high again.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 09, 2016, 10:17:06 AM

I made a good bit on trump puts, but I expected more than this.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on November 09, 2016, 10:20:37 AM
Now you're worried?
And here I thought his damage would be very limited due to the check&balance of your political system...

Well when "his party" will control the House, Senate, AND Supreme Court those checks will be somewhat curtailed :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."