What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Razgovory

Just to be clear, is he a speaker there or did he just arrive and make statements?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on February 23, 2024, 11:47:28 AMJack Posobiec's ranting is so insane you have to kind of wonder if he isn't an agent provocateur.

What is frightening is that he is on the level, expressing an opinion that is becoming increasingly mainstream.  It is the Weimarization of American politics.  The next step will be when armed "militias" start patrolling the streets and intimidating political opponents - watch for the 2024 elections.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 23, 2024, 02:07:25 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 23, 2024, 11:47:28 AMJack Posobiec's ranting is so insane you have to kind of wonder if he isn't an agent provocateur.

What is frightening is that he is on the level, expressing an opinion that is becoming increasingly mainstream.  It is the Weimarization of American politics.  The next step will be when armed "militias" start patrolling the streets and intimidating political opponents - watch for the 2024 elections.
I'd like to say you are exaggerating.  I'd really like to.

Plan for the worst, pray for the best.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

Civil judgment has been docketed and uploaded by the clerk of court in NY.  With prejudgment interest it is 454,156,783.05 with future interest running at nine percent per year.  Plus the additional amounts for the kids and Weisellberg. 

Let the games begin.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on February 23, 2024, 12:54:15 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 23, 2024, 12:35:44 PMJust to be clear, is he a speaker there or did he just arrive and make statements?

He's a listed speaker.

https://www.digital.cpac.org/speakers-dc2024
I feared that was the case.  I admit, I kinda didn't want to believe that.  It does not bring me any pleasure to see the Republican party become fascist.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on February 23, 2024, 04:51:52 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 23, 2024, 12:35:44 PMJust to be clear, is he a speaker there or did he just arrive and make statements?

He's a listed speaker.

I feared that was the case.  I admit, I kinda didn't want to believe that.  It does not bring me any pleasure to see the Republican party become fascist.

So CPAC <> the GOP.  It's a private conference put on by the Conservative Political Action Committee.  I googled it to get the details right - Ronald Reagan was the keynote speaker at the inaugural 1974 CPAC conference, where he gave the "shining city on a hill" speech.  So it's been influential, but not the same as the GOP itself.

But yeah - I heard in somewhat later years it was always a little wild and wooly - until Trump and it just went full-blown crazy.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

I'd add that from what I've seen this year's seems to be very low energy and attendance compared to recent years. Which, given the wider context, is interesting.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

He's a listed speaker.

Mike Lindell, Nigel Farage and Liz Truss at the same event as speakers. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

Truss? Why she invited? Cautionary tale?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

She was backup.  The first choice was that head of lettuce.

Sheilbh

:lol:

Can only suspect the lettuce not being able to make it had an effect on the turnout for Truss' speech:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 23, 2024, 02:07:25 PMWhat is frightening is that he is on the level, expressing an opinion that is becoming increasingly mainstream.  It is the Weimarization of American politics.  The next step will be when armed "militias" start patrolling the streets and intimidating political opponents - watch for the 2024 elections.
Hannity giving Curtis Silwa and the Guardian Angels airtime and encouragement is definitely not a great sign. The fact that the guy they jumped and beat was seemingly the only person in said event issued any type of reprimand by the police is a bad look, too.  :(
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Josquius

Ex Australian PM on Trump and Putin:

It's like when a 12 year old boy goes to high school and meets the captain of the football team.

https://x.com/RaeCattach/status/1762316147171754150?s=20
██████
██████
██████