What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: HVC on February 16, 2024, 08:34:21 PMThey should go after mar a lago first. Really salt the wound.

Won't happen - requires extra steps and NYAG will want to make an example in New York first.
Of course, none of this will happen if Trump manages to bond the appeal.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

"Bonding the appeal" means putting up enough cash to go ahead with the appeal, is that right?

Is it the full amount of the judgement including accruing interest, or is it a lesser amount?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Jacob on February 16, 2024, 09:08:15 PM"Bonding the appeal" means putting up enough cash to go ahead with the appeal, is that right?  Yes - you can appeal without it but then AG can collect while appeal is pending

Is it the full amount of the judgement including accruing interest, Yes or is it a lesser amount? No but it may be possible to get a bonding company to accept less than full cash with good collateral
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

$355 million is a pretty big bond, but I suppose anything is possible in New York.

DGuller

Can some Russian oligarch pay for Trump?

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on February 16, 2024, 09:36:13 PM$355 million is a pretty big bond, but I suppose anything is possible in New York.
Actually, it's 450 million$ right now, with accrued interests.
https://apnews.com/article/trump-civil-fraud-verdict-engoron-244024861f0df886543c157c9fc5b3e4

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jacob on February 16, 2024, 04:56:33 PMThat's a non-trivial amount of interest.

Are there any obvious dodges here? I've been led to believe there isn't.

So I guess that leaves Trump with these main options:

1) Pay with some combination of personal funds, political funds, and sucker-raised funds.

2) Ignore it until he wins the presidency, and then bring some amount of political influence to bear to make it go away somehow (or have someone pay it off without him having to worry about it). The risk here, of course, is that he doesn't win.
The interest is backdated to the crime, right?

https://edition.cnn.com/politics/live-news/trump-civil-fraud-trial-decision-02-16-24/h_0743f8dbce6378d3f8346afbe23815ed#:~:text=In%20his%20ruling%20that%20orders,amount%20Trump%20is%20liable%20for.

QuoteIn his ruling that orders Donald Trump to pay nearly $355 million in profits from his fraud, Judge Arthur Engoron also ruled that the former president will have to pay interest on that money, dating back several years.

The interest could add close to $100 million to the amount Trump is liable for.

HuffPo has his legal debts at $542 million and counting

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-debt-legal-losses_n_65d03728e4b0f7fbe7b2c04e
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jacob on February 16, 2024, 09:36:13 PM$355 million is a pretty big bond, but I suppose anything is possible in New York.
But he's banned from taking loans from banks registered in NYC, isn't he? That's like every major bank on the world stage.

Is only hope is the Saudis I think.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

https://thehill.com/homenews/4475076-gofundme-launched-to-help-pay-trumps-legal-fees/

QuoteThe wife of an investor has launched a GoFundMe to help fund former President Trump's mounting legal expenses in the wake of Friday's verdict in the New York fraud case.

The GoFundMe has a goal of $355 million — the amount that Judge Arthur Engoron ordered Trump to pay nearly in penalties in a civil fraud case. As of Saturday night, the GoFundMe had already raised over $185,000 with more than 4,000 donors.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

What would GoFundMe's cut of $355 million be?

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on February 18, 2024, 10:48:04 AMWhat would GoFundMe's cut of $355 million be?

https://www.gofundme.com/en-gb/c/blog/gofundme-fees
QuoteGoFundMe charges one transaction fee—that's it. So, what percentage does GoFundMe take for transaction fees? A transaction fee of 2.9% + 25p is automatically deducted from each donation for personal fundraisers. For charity, the fee is 1.9% + 20p per donation.

Jacob

Back of envelope calculations suggests a take for GoFundMe of about $12 million, obviously depending on average size of individual donations.

Jacob

Anyhow... I'm cautious about this because Trump has a lifetime track record of skating, but the HMS Schadenfreude is fully supplied and ready to embark on a celebratory tour of the world.

I suppose in any case, it's not prudent to set sail until such a time it's certain that Trump will not be president again.

Josquius

Does go fund me work like kick-starter where you need all your target to get anything or if not when does the grifter get his cash?
██████
██████
██████