What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 03, 2023, 01:11:42 AMIt's pretty unusual for a defendant in a civil case to elect a jury.  Juries are not known for restraint in damages awards.
Trump is claiming it is unfair he doesn't have a jury trial.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

It's possible that Trump's attorneys just forgot to request a jury, but it is far more likely that they made a strategic decision not to request trial by jury because of the likelihood that a NY County jury would find against their client and award enormous damages.  I'm sure Trump would have been consulted on that decision and, as his standard M.O., is now lying about it.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Josquius on October 03, 2023, 02:58:41 AMA jury would have helped with his main tactic of delaying too. Just keep kicking back the court dates until he can seize power.

A New York civil jury is usually 6 jurors; even for a three-ring circus case like this, selection would take at most a few days.  It's very hard to get adjournments for a jury trial case once the jury is empaneled. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 03, 2023, 10:35:03 AMIt's possible that Trump's attorneys just forgot to request a jury, but it is far more likely that they made a strategic decision not to request trial by jury because of the likelihood that a NY County jury would find against their client and award enormous damages.  I'm sure Trump would have been consulted on that decision and, as his standard M.O., is now lying about it.
What's the strategy behind attacking the judge?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Solmyr

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 03, 2023, 10:35:03 AMIt's possible that Trump's attorneys just forgot to request a jury, but it is far more likely that they made a strategic decision not to request trial by jury because of the likelihood that a NY County jury would find against their client and award enormous damages.  I'm sure Trump would have been consulted on that decision and, as his standard M.O., is now lying about it.

Or, equally likely, his lawyers are morons. :D

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on October 03, 2023, 10:56:16 AMWhat's the strategy behind attacking the judge?

Trump learned that from Roy Cohn, who died broke and disbarred.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 03, 2023, 11:23:27 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 03, 2023, 10:56:16 AMWhat's the strategy behind attacking the judge?

Trump learned that from Roy Cohn, who died broke and disbarred.

But not a one-term POTUS. :contract:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

The formula of:

1. Hire third tier lawyers
2. Force them to make absurd arguments.  When the court predictably rejects the absurd arguments, make them again.  When the Court threatens to sanction the lawyers if the arguments a repeated, make them a third time.
3.  Testify in your deposition that the warranty in the contract you signed is just a big joke and a deliberate lie.
4. Testify in your deposition that property you own is worth multiple times established appraisal value because you could sell for it more money to some horribly corrupt Saudi sheik in a private transaction.
5. Decline a jury and select a bench trial.  Then relentlessly attack and insult the judge.
6. When the judge rules against you and must consider the amount of damages, insult him some more and goad your large social media following into making threats of violence.

Is less than optimal.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

BS valuations of property values are commonplace in NY real estate.  What differentiates Trump, not suprisingly, is his complete lack of restraint in inflating values to deprive him of any plausible deniability and his enthusiasm in saying the quiet part out loud, openly boasting about fraud as smart business practice.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on October 03, 2023, 10:56:16 AM

It's a political strategy, not a litigation strategy.

Trump's only real hope is to win the Presidency back - and of course he has pretty decent odds of being able to do so.  He can then pardon himself for any federal offences, plus use the Federal DOJ (and a friendly Supreme Court) to argue you can't jail a sitting President for any state-level offences.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Gups

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 03, 2023, 04:26:20 PMBS valuations of property values are commonplace in NY real estate.  What differentiates Trump, not suprisingly, is his complete lack of restraint in inflating values to deprive him of any plausible deniability and his enthusiasm in saying the quiet part out loud, openly boasting about fraud as smart business practice.

Do banks and insurers not have appraisers they can use. Who relies on the owner's estimate of value?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Gups on October 03, 2023, 04:33:46 PMDo banks and insurers not have appraisers they can use. Who relies on the owner's estimate of value?

The defense lawyers have already raised this point.

This case is weak.  The January 6 case is weak. 

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on October 03, 2023, 04:27:27 PM

Trump's only real hope is to win the Presidency back - and of course he has pretty decent odds of being able to do so.  He can then pardon himself for any federal offences, plus use the Federal DOJ (and a friendly Supreme Court) to argue you can't jail a sitting President for any state-level offences.
That doesn't help him in state level civil court.

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on October 03, 2023, 04:37:40 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 03, 2023, 04:27:27 PM

That doesn't help him in state level civil court.

Meh - Trump's been dodging creditors for years.  That's old hat to him.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.