What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on November 16, 2022, 02:27:31 AMI'm not sure his motivations matter. Whether he is trying to create narratives or just amplifying ones he picks up on, result is the same. More content that can be used by morons to justify idiotic positions.

Agreed. I'm less interested in the finer details of Murdoch's motivations and more concerned with the results of his actions.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on November 16, 2022, 02:27:31 AMI'm not sure his motivations matter. Whether he is trying to create narratives or just amplifying ones he picks up on, result is the same. More content that can be used by morons to justify idiotic positions.
I think what matters is the effect it has on the left. I think Murdoch plays a similar, unhelpful role on the left that universities or "Hollywood" have on the right.

It can just be a coping mechanism/crutch that prevents self-examination. But I think the bigger issue is that I think it leads to too much focus on the discourse and messaging. If you think politics is largely shaped by a svengali like press baron then I think that leads to different worries and conclusions than if you think the media is shaped by politics because it's more like a mirror trying to reflect back to its readers/give them what they want. It's the conversation we have had many times about the Democrats (but also, maybe, Labour a bit) - is the key thing the message or the politics.

Obvously there's a bit of both but my view is that it's far more the latter - especially with Murdoch.
Let's bomb Russia!

Threviel

This is a great opportunity to replace Biden with another Democrat contender that will surely be a two-termer. Win against Trump almost guaranteed if its the right candidate and for the next election Trump will run again and splinter the Republicans one way or another and its another win for the Democrats.

If Biden runs he might become incapacitated or die or whatever during next term, 4 years is a long time when over 80, so the vice-president would be extra important this time. If a good one and the stars align they might become a two-term president.

All in all good news for the Democrats, but Biden also running is more high-risk in my mind.

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on November 16, 2022, 12:35:32 AMI don't see an upside to DeSantis running.  At least not for him.  He runs and either 1) he loses or 2) He wins and Trump forms his own party.  Trump has already threatened to destroy the GOP with a third party, there is zero chance he wouldn't go through with it out of spite if he loses a primary.  Rhonda Santis has to be making the same calculation.

If you are in the discussion to be president of the US, you are probably a psychopath dedicated to achieving that goal. Maybe that is overly harsh, but you aren't normal.

If he runs for the nomination he is the most likely GOP nominee. Yes Trump will likely want to undermine him in the general election and that will seriously hurt him if he does, but DeSantis isn't going to become president without rolling the dice at some point. Biden isn't a strong incumbent, in 4 years DeSantis won't have an office like the governorship of florida to run from, won't have his success of 2022 as a tailwind, and could be shut down by a republican incumbent.

I also doubt Trump will form an actual third party or get on the ballot as a 3rd party candidate. Those things require hard work and Trump doesn't seem inclined to undertake hard work.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on November 15, 2022, 11:42:22 PMAll you guys have to do is agree the amount of the bet and who will hold it (I recommend Yi if he isn't going to get a piece of the action).

I am not really a betting man. I wouldn't even bet that Ohio State will beat Indiana in football. But hey I guess if it is just for funs I can throw in a few bucks.

Also the bet would have to contingent on both candidates actually officially announcing and participating in the Iowa Caucus. So I wouldn't want to put any cash down until one or the other winning is actually a possibility.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: Threviel on November 16, 2022, 07:08:54 AMThis is a great opportunity to replace Biden with another Democrat contender that will surely be a two-termer. Win against Trump almost guaranteed if its the right candidate and for the next election Trump will run again and splinter the Republicans one way or another and its another win for the Democrats.

If Biden runs he might become incapacitated or die or whatever during next term, 4 years is a long time when over 80, so the vice-president would be extra important this time. If a good one and the stars align they might become a two-term president.

All in all good news for the Democrats, but Biden also running is more high-risk in my mind.

The next election sure but do we really see trump living till the one after?
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

Quote from: Threviel on November 16, 2022, 07:08:54 AMThis is a great opportunity to replace Biden with another Democrat contender that will surely be a two-termer. Win against Trump almost guaranteed if its the right candidate and for the next election Trump will run again and splinter the Republicans one way or another and its another win for the Democrats.

The problem the Dems will have in replacing Biden, is that they would need a well-known, viable candidate.  I can think of a few viable unknowns...but being known is usually the most important thing nowadays.

If he does run, there would need to be a very strong pretext to dump Kamala Harris.  After all, he ran on the pledge of having an inclusive running mate on his ticket...he cannot then dump same without causing a major row inside the party.

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 16, 2022, 08:54:02 PM

The problem the Dems will have in replacing Biden, is that they would need a well-known, viable candidate.  I can think of a few viable unknowns...but being known is usually the most important thing nowadays.

If he does run, there would need to be a very strong pretext to dump Kamala Harris.  After all, he ran on the pledge of having an inclusive running mate on his ticket...he cannot then dump same without causing a major row inside the party.

The voters will dump Harris in the Primary.

That governor of Pennsylvania seems cool.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

Quote from: Valmy on November 16, 2022, 09:47:32 PMThe voters will dump Harris in the Primary.

That governor of Pennsylvania seems cool.

Primary voters don't decide that.  :huh:

I kinda like the governor of North Carolina.  He has a kinda gravitas.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on November 16, 2022, 09:47:32 PMThe voters will dump Harris in the Primary.

If Joe runs, Harris can only be dumped in the primary if Joe is dumped.  She will not run against him.

Gretchen Whitmer has a bit of name recognition on account of the neoNazi conspiracy to kidnap and murder her because vaccines.  I don't think her resume adds up to presidential candidate, though.  Pity.  She's young, charismatic, and has a track record national Democrats would like:  moderate on the issues, but firmly committed to the core democratic vote-getters.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zoupa

I predict a Biden-Trump rematch, and another Biden win.

Admiral Yi

Biden's running on fumes.  He'll stand down.  He knows he performed a vital service.

Gups

Whatever happened to the promised publication of Trump's tax returns? Are they still being audited 6 years later?

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Gups on November 17, 2022, 06:08:37 AMWhatever happened to the promised publication of Trump's tax returns? Are they still being audited 6 years later?

You cannot see attachments on this board.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/10/irs-asks-supreme-court-not-to-block-congress-from-getting-trumps-tax-records.html
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Habbaku

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 17, 2022, 01:10:06 AMBiden's running on fumes.  He'll stand down.  He knows he performed a vital service.

I think you're right and hope you're right. I always assumed Biden was one and done. I don't think he even really wanted to serve the single term.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien