What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: The Larch on November 15, 2022, 03:52:44 PMIn a Trump Vs. DeSantis GOP primary, who do you think has the edge at the moment?

DeSantis...as I said before, the GOP is fine with all the nonsense from trump up to and including 1/6, but they won't tolerate losing a bunch of winnable senate seats. The knives are out.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Zoupa

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 15, 2022, 06:51:34 PMOne could go out on a limb and say Murdoch turning on Trump is seismic.  :homestar:

I remember that  ;)

I still don't think it is. A solid 70% of the GOP are in this MAGA cult, Murdoch or no Murdoch. If Trump doesn't get the nomination, then ok, maybe we can examine if Murdoch had any influence on that.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on November 15, 2022, 06:50:04 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 15, 2022, 04:59:11 PMNot sure what the problem with that is? He's just saying what his editorial line is going to be.

Murdoch is a cancer.
That may be.

I just think he's a cancerous, opportunistic media mogul looking for what sells and magnifies his leverage by always appearing to back a winner, rather than a machivellian puppet master with a plan :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on November 15, 2022, 07:25:03 PMDeSantis...as I said before, the GOP is fine with all the nonsense from trump up to and including 1/6, but they won't tolerate losing a bunch of winnable senate seats. The knives are out.

It's going to be an incremental process.

First they say he was great but we're losing elections.  Then it's elections plus all the lying.  Then those things plus 1/6.  And so on and so forth.  We're past the tipping point.

FunkMonk

The Republicans surely won't embrace Trump this time! He is finished!
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Admiral Yi

I'm laughing at all the Florida and Texas Latinos that jumped on the Trump bandwagon right before it became the dork wagon.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 15, 2022, 07:30:47 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 15, 2022, 04:59:11 PMNot sure what the problem with that is? He's just saying what his editorial line is going to be.

Murdoch is a cancer.
That may be.

I just think he's a cancerous, opportunistic media mogul looking for what sells and magnifies his leverage by always appearing to back a winner, rather than a machivellian puppet master with a plan :lol:

You may not be wrong...nothing will drive Fox News (and everyone else) ratings more than a spicy GOP primary contest. 

alfred russel

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 15, 2022, 09:33:44 PMThe Republicans surely won't embrace Trump this time! He is finished!

If you or anyone else here wants to bet, I'll bet any sum of money that he won't be the nominee. Some trustworthy third party mutually agreed can hold the cash in escrow.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

FunkMonk

Quote from: alfred russel on November 15, 2022, 10:27:51 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on November 15, 2022, 09:33:44 PMThe Republicans surely won't embrace Trump this time! He is finished!

If you or anyone else here wants to bet, I'll bet any sum of money that he won't be the nominee. Some trustworthy third party mutually agreed can hold the cash in escrow.

In all seriousness I don't actually think he will be the GOP nominee, but I've learned to never count a moron out.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Admiral Yi

Tonitrus

My prediction, for what little it is worth (no betting for ya'll Vegas types):

- DeSantis won't run.  He's young enough, has a plausible pretext to stay out (that Trump is running), and is smart enough to not get into that mud-wrestling pit.  There is no way to stay clean matching up with Trump.

- Pence/Cheney might run, but will of course both be irrelevant.

- Larry Hogan might think about, and his name may be tossed around, but I don't think he'll go for it.

The Cult it too strong...Trump will be the nominee, and ride the atomic bomb into the blast.  With Trump as the nominee, Biden will run again (barring any health issues that crop up)...though I don't think he should...just to try and whip him behind the bleachers a second time.

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 15, 2022, 10:36:03 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 15, 2022, 10:27:51 PM

In all seriousness I don't actually think he will be the GOP nominee, but I've learned to never count a moron out.

Oh he will be. Trump's fans are very loyal. They are not going to abandon him for Ron DeSantis...at least not in large enough numbers for DeSantis to win.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on November 15, 2022, 10:27:51 PMIf you or anyone else here wants to bet, I'll bet any sum of money that he won't be the nominee. Some trustworthy third party mutually agreed can hold the cash in escrow.

Quote from: Valmy on November 15, 2022, 11:04:39 PMOh he will be. Trump's fans are very loyal. They are not going to abandon him for Ron DeSantis...at least not in large enough numbers for DeSantis to win.

All you guys have to do is agree the amount of the bet and who will hold it (I recommend Yi if he isn't going to get a piece of the action).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I don't see an upside to DeSantis running.  At least not for him.  He runs and either 1) he loses or 2) He wins and Trump forms his own party.  Trump has already threatened to destroy the GOP with a third party, there is zero chance he wouldn't go through with it out of spite if he loses a primary.  Rhonda Santis has to be making the same calculation.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 15, 2022, 07:30:47 PM

Murdoch is a cancer.
That may be.

I'm not sure his motivations matter. Whether he is trying to create narratives or just amplifying ones he picks up on, result is the same. More content that can be used by morons to justify idiotic positions.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.