What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 22, 2022, 02:05:01 AMDonald has told the RNC to cease and desist using his likeness in fundraising materials.

What about the DNC?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

QuoteMurdoch tells Trump he will not back fresh White House bid

Media mogul turns to 'DeFuture' Ron DeSantis after ex-president's poor showing in midterm elections

Rupert Murdoch has reportedly warned Donald Trump his media empire will not back any attempt to return to the White House, as former supporters turn to the youthful Florida governor Ron DeSantis.

After the Republican party's disappointing performance in the US midterm elections, in particular the poor showing by candidates backed by Trump, Murdoch's rightwing media empire appears to be seeking a clean break from the former president's damaged reputation and perceived waning political power.

Last week, Murdoch's influential media empire, including right-leaning Fox News, his flagship paper the Wall Street Journal, and the New York Post, each rounded on Trump, calling him a loser and a flop responsible for dragging the Republicans into "one political fiasco after another".

"We have been clear with Donald. There have been conversations between them during which Rupert made it clear to Donald that we cannot back another run for the White House," a senior News Corp source told the i newspaper.

Trump, who is expected to announce his intention to run for president again in 2024 in a much-hyped TV appearance on Tuesday night in the US, has accused Murdoch of going "all in" to support DeSantis, 44, whom he has called an "average Republican governor" and has nicknamed "Ron DeSanctimonious".

Lachlan Murdoch, the heir apparent and eldest son, who co-chairs News Corp and runs the parent company of Fox News, has reportedly told DeSantis that the group would back him if he ran in the next election. "Lachlan has been keen on Ron for some time," said the i's source. "He's viewed within the organisation as a sanitised version of Donald."

DeSantis, who has been called "DeFuture" by the New York Post and "the new Republican party leader" in a Fox News column, has not declared whether he intends to compete to be the party's 2024 presidential candidate.

Joe Biden, who has been buoyed up by the Democrats strong performance in the midterms but continues to prove unpopular in polls, has also not declared if he will run for president again. While he has no obvious successor, there are concerns about his age if he were to win another term at the White House, as he will be 82 in 2024.

FunkMonk

It's going to be very funny when Donald runs as a third party spoiler in 2024 and ruins DeSantis' chance.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

grumbler

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 15, 2022, 03:42:52 PMIt's going to be very funny when Donald runs as a third party spoiler in 2024 and ruins DeSantis' chance.

Funny, but also very good for the country.  DeSantis is much more likely to be the Trump-we-feared than Trump turned out to be.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: The Larch on November 15, 2022, 02:29:11 PM

Media mogul turns to 'DeFuture' Ron DeSantis after ex-president's poor showing in midterm elections

Rupert Murdoch has reportedly warned Donald Trump his media empire will not back any attempt to return to the White House, as former supporters turn to the youthful Florida governor Ron DeSantis.

Interesting as an admission that his media empire has nothing to do with journalism.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Larch

In a Trump Vs. DeSantis GOP primary, who do you think has the edge at the moment?

The Larch

Quote from: Berkut on November 15, 2022, 03:52:19 PM
Quote from: The Larch on November 15, 2022, 02:29:11 PM

Interesting as an admission that his media empire has nothing to do with journalism.

I don't think that Murdoch has ever hidden his political preferences and which candidates he likes and the fact that he uses his companies to promote them. As you say, his media empire is not about journalism, it's about influence peddling. Is Murdoch himself on the record saying something on the topic, I wonder?

grumbler

Quote from: The Larch on November 15, 2022, 03:52:44 PMIn a Trump Vs. DeSantis GOP primary, who do you think has the edge at the moment?

Ya gotta say Trump until evidence suggests otherwise.  Lack of enthusiasm for his moronic candidates doesn't equate to lack of enthusiasm for the moron-in-chief.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tonitrus

There is a pretty strong chance that DeSantis won't run if Trump does.  Better to dodge the blast than see if you can withstand it.

Tonitrus

And he is very young.  Four years as governor and then running in an open field is likely better odds.  Unless a wild Trump Jr appears.

The Larch

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 15, 2022, 04:48:29 PMThere is a pretty strong chance that DeSantis won't run if Trump does.  Better to dodge the blast than see if you can withstand it.
And he is very young.  Four years as governor and then running in an open field is likely better odds.  Unless a wild Trump Jr appears.

Those are good points, but might it not be seen as chickening out at the slightest sign of pressure against his candidacy if he doesn't run or at least explores the possibility? If whoever is behind him now sees him as weak if he backs down now he might not be as well supported in the future. In a way his moment is now, when he's at the top and with the spotlight on him.

Also, I must assume that there's a not insignificant sector of the GOP itself that will want to get rid of Trump ASAP, and DeSantis is their best chance at the moment.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on November 15, 2022, 03:57:54 PMI don't think that Murdoch has ever hidden his political preferences and which candidates he likes and the fact that he uses his companies to promote them. As you say, his media empire is not about journalism, it's about influence peddling. Is Murdoch himself on the record saying something on the topic, I wonder?
I know it's not a widely shared opinion but I think while Murdoch might have broad preferences, that's about it.

But I think he's got a truffle hound-like nose for which way the wind's blowing. That increases his leverage because he hates backing a loser and doesn't do it often - even if they may be more ideologically or stylistically aligned with him. My view from what I've read of Murdoch is he'd rather back a winner he disagrees with than a loser he actually supports politically.

And he's in the media business which is not and never has been about journalism but about getting people to read (and so pay for) your journalism - which means you reflect what they want. His biggest preference of all is for lots of people to be consuming his media.

Trump was the way the wind was blowing and what Murdoch's audience wanted (and great for ratings for everyone else too - Trump was always right about that) - it looks like that's shifted and so will Murdoch, probably quite early and quickly.

QuoteInteresting as an admission that his media empire has nothing to do with journalism.
Not sure what the problem with that is? He's just saying what his editorial line is going to be.

QuoteThere is a pretty strong chance that DeSantis won't run if Trump does.  Better to dodge the blast than see if you can withstand it.
Maybe - but I think there's an equal chance Trump dodges if it's not clearly a sure thing. He's not someone who has shown any sign of being comfortable with losing so far.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 15, 2022, 04:59:11 PMNot sure what the problem with that is? He's just saying what his editorial line is going to be.

Murdoch is a cancer.

Admiral Yi

One could go out on a limb and say Murdoch turning on Trump is seismic.  :homestar: