What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 07, 2022, 02:33:20 PMMany thanks  :)

Just reading through the wiki page on it (I'm not going to spend a lot of time on this):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disallowance_and_reservation_in_Canada

Couple interesting findings:

-looks like the UK still has the power to disallow federal legislation!  This apparently only happened once in 1873, and only because the federal legislation was contrary to the BNA Act (as it then was).  The UK subsequently amended the BNA Act, and the federal legislation was re-passed.

-because of it's long disuse some have argued that disallowance is now by constitutional convention unable to be used (and even the SCC has raised it as a possibility)

-Trudeau was prepared to remove disallowance in exchange for the Charter, but because the provinces negotiated the Notwithstanding clause (which Trudeau was opposed to) he insisted on keeping disallowance

-In 2019 Toronto City Council asked Justin Trudeau to use disallowance on a reorganization of City Counsel done by Doug Ford.  Trudeau declined, and the SCC found the reorganization was constitutional.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Interesting observation by LegalEagle on Judge Canon's assumption of jurisdiction in the Trump case:  Section 2204 of the Presidential Records Act states that
Quote(e) The United States District Court for the District of Columbia shall have jurisdiction over any action initiated by the former President asserting that a determination made by the Archivist violates the former President's rights or privileges.

This whole investigation started because the Archivist believed that Trump was illegally holding government records.  All of the unclassified material that was seized by the FBI was either mingled with classified material, or seized pursuant to the Archivist's determination.  Neither of those categories would seem to fall within the jurisdiction of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida, if Federal law is, indeed, law.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on September 11, 2022, 11:49:48 AMInteresting observation by LegalEagle on Judge Canon's assumption of jurisdiction in the Trump case:  Section 2204 of the Presidential Records Act states that
Quote(e) The United States District Court for the District of Columbia shall have jurisdiction over any action initiated by the former President asserting that a determination made by the Archivist violates the former President's rights or privileges.

Cannon's opinion recognized that jurisdictional provisions in a footnote:
Quote16 The Court recognizes that, under the PRA, "[t]he United States District Court for the District of
Columbia shall have jurisdiction over any action initiated by the former President asserting that a
determination made by the Archivist" to permit public dissemination of presidential records
"violates the former President's [constitutional] rights or privileges." 44 U.S.C. § 2204.

Usually such a footnote concludes with an explanation why it doesn't apply or the court is nonetheless taking jurisdiction.  In the opinion, however, the footnote simply stops care, creating the impression that the Court has just acknowledged its lack of jurisdiction but has decided to ignore the problem.

The most charitable explanation is that Cannon believed that notwithstanding the PRA, she can assert jurisdiction through Fed R. Crim P. 41(g), which permits parties to bring original actions for return of property seized in the District where the seizure occurred.  That doesn't work, however, because she reserved ruling on the Rule 41(g) relief and because Rule 41(g) is not a mechanism for asserting presidential privilege over documents.

There is yet another venue problem that has essentially been ignored which is that the case was not properly before her under the internal operating procedures (IOP) of the SD Florida District.  Under the IOP, privilege challenges to documents seized under a warrant should be made to the duty judge in the relevant section, West Palm Beach.  Cannon was not the duty judge for the month.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on September 11, 2022, 11:49:48 AMInteresting observation by LegalEagle on Judge Canon's assumption of jurisdiction in the Trump case:  Section 2204 of the Presidential Records Act states that

Cannon's opinion recognized that jurisdictional provision in a footnote:
Quote16 The Court recognizes that, under the PRA, "[t]he United States District Court for the District of
Columbia shall have jurisdiction over any action initiated by the former President asserting that a
determination made by the Archivist" to permit public dissemination of presidential records
"violates the former President's [constitutional] rights or privileges." 44 U.S.C. § 2204.

Usually such a footnote concludes with an explanation why it doesn't apply or the court is nonetheless taking jurisdiction.  In the opinion, however, the footnote stops there, creating the impression that the Court has just acknowledged its lack of jurisdiction but has decided to ignore the problem.

The most charitable explanation is that Cannon believed that notwithstanding the PRA, she can assert jurisdiction through Fed R. Crim P. 41(g), which permits parties to bring original actions for return of property seized in the District where the seizure occurred.  That doesn't work, however, because she reserved ruling on the Rule 41(g) relief and because Rule 41(g) is not a mechanism for asserting presidential privilege over documents.

There is yet another venue problem that has essentially been ignored which is that the case was not properly before her under the internal operating procedures (IOP) of the SD Florida District.  Under the IOP, privilege challenges to documents seized under a warrant should be made to the duty judge in the relevant section, West Palm Beach.  Cannon was not the duty judge for the month.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 11, 2022, 02:44:28 PM

Cannon's opinion recognized that jurisdictional provisions in a footnote:

Usually such a footnote concludes with an explanation why it doesn't apply or the court is nonetheless taking jurisdiction.  In the opinion, however, the footnote simply stops care, creating the impression that the Court has just acknowledged its lack of jurisdiction but has decided to ignore the problem.

You can say that again!  :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSlxEmj_Cbk

Mypillowguy had his phone seized by the FBI in connection with the Colorado voting records breach.

I guess they're referring to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6QjOJm4rlI

I hadn't even heard of this.

At first I thought they were talking about the Georgia thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du0tZ8EyiDI

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Not the first case of Trump mistaking criticism for flattery.

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on September 15, 2022, 11:30:08 AMNot the first case of Trump mistaking criticism for flattery.

I suspect he knows it's not a mistake but twofold:

1) He likes the image because it IS how he sees himself.

2) He takes pleasure in (or at least wants to be seen taking pleasure in) "impotent liberal tears."

HVC

And he might win again.

QuoteDonald Trump's White House chief of staff secretly bought a book in which 27 mental health professionals warned that the president was psychologically unfit for the job, then used it as a guide in his attempts to cope with Trump's irrational behavior.

Guardian article
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

Judge rules that criminal prosecution is kaput.  Every defendant should own his own judge.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on September 15, 2022, 08:26:53 PMJudge rules that criminal prosecution is kaput.  Every defendant should own his own judge.

Was there a particular statute referenced?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on September 15, 2022, 08:38:28 PMWhat happened now?

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/judge-rules-trump-blocks-review-seized-classified-records-2022-09-15/

Judge says DOJ can't begin reviewing classified docs.

Seems kind of like a nothingburger to me.

In related news NY Attorney General declined a plea proposal concerning the Trump Organization financial fraud case.