What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Can a convicted felon serve as president?

That seems to be the end game.  Some sort of conviction (or plea) on mishandling classified documents, a slap on the wrist like Sandy Berger got.

Valmy

I don't see anything in the Constitution that prevents a convicted felon from running for President.

But there may be state laws about such a person being on the ballot.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 26, 2022, 07:18:35 PMCan a convicted felon serve as president?

That seems to be the end game.  Some sort of conviction (or plea) on mishandling classified documents, a slap on the wrist like Sandy Berger got.

Sandy Berger pled guilty to one count of violating Section 1924, which at the time called for a maximum penalty of one year in prison.  Under Trump that penalty was increased to a five year max as part of the "lock her up" mishegoss.

However, the principal charge under consideration by DOJ is 18 USC 793 which carries a max penalty of 10 years.  So it is a far more serious charge then what Berger pled to, and of course Berger got the benefit of a plea agreement.  Somehow I don't see Trump entering a plea.

To get a sense of what a conviction under 18 USC 793(e) would mean, under the Federal Sentencing Guidelines, an offense involving top secret information (as here) has a base offense level of 29, corresponding to a recommended sentence of 87-108 months if the offender has no prior convictions. For other information (non-classified) the base offense level is 24 corresponding to a recommendation of 51-63 months. That is without adjustments, but if this case was prosecuted, Trump could in theory face offense level enhancements for obstruction (2 levels) or supervising others (2-4 levels).

This is not to say that an 4-6 year+ sentence is the most likely result here, but if Trump has a discussion with a minimally competent defense lawyer, they will have a discussion about potential exposure and these are the numbers that would come up.  This is a real potential charge and there is real exposure here. 

Of course, a generous helping of mea culpas, a sincere guilty plea and admission of guilt, and real cooperation could do a lot to minimize sentencing impact, just as it did for Berger.  But that would be a terrible humiliation for DJT. I just don't see it happening.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Had to look up mishegoss (though I could guess it was Yiddish).  Derived from meshuga, crazy.  I'm familiar with meshugida, I'm guessing that's crazy person?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 26, 2022, 10:24:58 PMHad to look up mishegoss (though I could guess it was Yiddish).  Derived from meshuga, crazy.  I'm familiar with meshugida, I'm guessing that's crazy person?

Meshugana.  Otherwise correct on all counts.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

I wonder if Israelis use Yiddish words.

HVC

Yiddish wasn't really used in Russia/Eastern Europe, right? Mainly a German Jew thing? In my mind Israel is has a very large Slavic Ashkenazi decent.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

I thought Yiddish was the Ashkenazi language and Ladino was the Sephardic language.  Never heard of separate languges for German and Eastern European Jews.  But I don't really know.

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 27, 2022, 12:07:01 AMI thought Yiddish was the Ashkenazi language and Ladino was the Sephardic language.  Never heard of separate languges for German and Eastern European Jews.  But I don't really know.

I thought Yiddish was funky German with some Hebrew thrown in?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

DGuller

Quote from: HVC on August 26, 2022, 11:12:21 PMYiddish wasn't really used in Russia/Eastern Europe, right? Mainly a German Jew thing? In my mind Israel is has a very large Slavic Ashkenazi decent.
Yiddish was most definitely used in Eastern Europe.  I think everyone in my extended Jewish family of the age of my grandparents spoke Yiddish.  My grandparents on the father's side used to speak Yiddish to each other when they were angrily arguing with each other and didn't want us to understand what they were saying.

HVC

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

BUY DICTIONARY DONALD.  So much good words in there, the best words!

Zanza

"We gave them much" - when your legal obligation is to give everything, giving much is just not good enough...

Tamas

I continue to be baffled by how so many people could fall so much for this dumb B-grade conman.