News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Trump says outrageous and offensive things because he has been rewarded his entire life for doing so.  It will keep getting worse and more extreme until the reinforcement stops.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on October 21, 2020, 08:41:52 PM
Okay, we've had four years of trump and nothing could still qualify as Peak Trump because we've had so many competitors that nothing could still make the list this late... but, wait!  There's more!

No, not the fact that Trump repeatedly confused hypersonic (missiles) with hydrosonic (tooth brushes).  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o39F-lAOFuE  Which, by the way, he referred to for a while, after being informed by his staff that they were "hypersonic" and not "hydrosonic" as "super duper."  He reverted to "hydrosonic" because he thought it sounded more technical.  He doesn't apparently have the language skills to distinguish between hypersonic and hydrosonic. No surprise there.

No, I am talking about his claim (or, properly, retweeting of a claim, and his verbally supporting it) that the Obama administration assassinated Seal Team Six to prevent them from revealing that they didn't assassinate Osama bin Laden, but, rather, a "double."  When the dead men (including one mega-supporter that broke with him over this) posted that they were alive and Trump was full of shit, and Savannah Guthrie challenged him on this at his town hall meeting, he was all "I don't take a position."

This might be Peak Trump.  His moronic desperation has never been so nakedly on display.

I wonder if even his last two supporters here (who are too ashamed to admit that they are) can stand for this.

One of them will claim it was a great joke, didn't you get the joke?

The Brain

Quotethe Obama administration assassinated Seal Team Six

Jesus Christ! What badass team did they use for this mission??
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

The Larch

Giuliani being caught on camera. Open at your own risk.  :ph34r:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ek3rWjNVgAArPk5?format=jpg&name=small

No naughty bits are shown, don't worry about that.  :P

Syt

Pics of that showed up in my Twitter feed yesterday, that was quite enough thankyouverymuch. :x
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on October 22, 2020, 04:50:14 AM
Giuliani being caught on camera. Open at your own risk.  :ph34r:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ek3rWjNVgAArPk5?format=jpg&name=small

No naughty bits are shown, don't worry about that.  :P
The defence I've seen from some people on the right was that he was just adjusting his shirt - that doesn't look like someone who is just tucking in their shirt :x
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Brain on October 22, 2020, 03:46:22 AM
Quotethe Obama administration assassinated Seal Team Six

Jesus Christ! What badass team did they use for this mission??

Badass team is exactly what it was.  The team that was pulled right out of Trump's ass.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

DGuller

I am feeling a little uneasy about this stunt, though.  How is this different from honeytrapping, a tried and true KGB tradition?  Something similar was set up 10 years ago or so in Russia, where a single woman seduced multiple opposition figures, including Victor Shenderovich, who's Russia's closest equivalent to Jon Stewart.  No one busted in to stop the consummation, though, so there were plenty of opposition penises for everyone to look at.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on October 21, 2020, 01:12:14 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/oct/21/rudy-giuliani-faces-questions-after-compromising-scene-in-new-borat-film?CMP=share_btn_tw

QuoteRudy Giuliani faces questions after compromising scene in new Borat film

Trump's personal attorney has indiscreet encounter with actor playing Borat's daughter in hotel room during pandemic

The reputation of Rudy Giuliani could be set for a further blow with the release of highly embarrassing footage in Sacha Baron Cohen's follow-up to Borat.

In the film, released on Friday, the former New York mayor and current personal attorney to Donald Trump is seen reaching into his trousers and apparently touching his genitals while reclining on a bed in the presence of the actor playing Borat's daughter, who is posing as a TV journalist.

Following an obsequious interview for a fake conservative news programme, the pair retreat at her suggestion for a drink to the bedroom of a hotel suite, which is rigged with concealed cameras.

After she removes his microphone, Giuliani, 76, can be seen lying back on the bed, fiddling with his untucked shirt and reaching into his trousers. They are then interrupted by Borat who runs in and says: "She's 15. She's too old for you."

Representatives for Giuliani have not replied to the Guardian's requests for comment

Word of the incident first emerged on 7 July, when Giuliani called New York police to report the intrusion of an unusually-dressed man.

"This guy comes running in, wearing a crazy, what I would say was a pink transgender outfit," Giuliani told the New York Post. "It was a pink bikini, with lace, underneath a translucent mesh top, it looked absurd. He had the beard, bare legs, and wasn't what I would call distractingly attractive.

"This person comes in yelling and screaming, and I thought this must be a scam or a shakedown, so I reported it to the police. He then ran away," Giuliani said. The police found no crime had been committed.

Giuliani continued: "I only later realised it must have been Sacha Baron Cohen. I thought about all the people he previously fooled and I felt good about myself because he didn't get me."

Viewers may be less convinced that Baron Cohen, reprising his role as the bumbling reporter Borat Sagdiyev, and Maria Bakalova, who plays his daughter, Tutar, had no success.

In the film Borat is dispatched by the Kazakh government back to the US to present a bribe to an ally of Donald Trump in order to ingratiate his country with the administration. After the monkey earmarked for the gift is indisposed, Borat's supposedly underage offspring becomes the replacement present.

Even before he reaches into his trousers, Giuliani does not appear to acquit himself especially impressively during the encounter. Flattered and flirtatious, he drinks scotch, coughs, fails to socially distance and claims Trump's speedy actions in the spring saved a million Americans from dying of Covid. He also agrees – in theory at least – to eat a bat with his interviewer.

Giuliani has become a key figure in the late stages of the US presidential election after obtaining a laptop hard drive purportedly belonging to Hunter Biden and left at a repair shop in Delaware.

His efforts to unearth political dirt on Trump's rival for the White House mean that the film's mortifying footage can be seen as an attempt to undermine Giuliani's credibility. The film, released on Amazon Prime less than a fortnight before the election, ends with an instruction for viewers to vote.

Although unfortunate, the circumstances of the setup appear consensual, with Giuliani led to believe he was being courted. Bakalova, 24, is highly plausible in the sting, despite also having to pretend, for the benefit of viewers, to be a feral child posing as a far-right journalist.

As with the first film, which made $262m on release in 2006 and won a Golden Globe for Baron Cohen, the most troubling scenes are those which reveal deep-seated prejudice among the American people.

Baron Cohen's real-life broadsides against platforms he feels enable antisemitism are echoed in the film, in which Borat learns through Facebook that the Holocaust "was nothing but a fairytale".

He is corrected following a conversation with two elderly Jewish women, one of whom, Judith Dim Evans, died after filming, aged 88. Last week her estate filed a suit against the film-makers, claiming that she was "horrified and upset" upon learning "the movie was actually a comedy intended to mock the Holocaust and Jewish culture".

However, Deadline suggests the film-makers did appraise Dim Evans of the film's true targets after her scenes were shot, and that there is footage of this. They are also said to be hopeful her family may reconsider once they have seen the film, which ends with a dedication to Dim Evans and the link to a website set up in her honour.

Didn't I just read this, like a page before?  :P

Anyway.  I fail to see the scandal here.  Well, he might have a problem with his girlfriend, but otherwise, a man goes into an hotel room with a flirtatious women younger than him, there's nothing there, really.  He doesn't pay for sex, he's obviously not aware she's supposed to be "15" (she looks young, but not that young), and he's in a hotel room filmed against his consent.

So yeah, it looks bad for him, but it's not like he masturbated in a zoom conference call with his CNN colleagues ;)

Fuck, if a pretty young woman, whom I believe was a journalist, was flirtatious with me and suggested we go to her room, I'd go to.  Even if she was a far left nutjob.

Not having seen the movie, maybe there's something else in it not reported here?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: DGuller on October 22, 2020, 08:11:06 AM
I am feeling a little uneasy about this stunt, though.  How is this different from honeytrapping, a tried and true KGB tradition?  Something similar was set up 10 years ago or so in Russia, where a single woman seduced multiple opposition figures, including Victor Shenderovich, who's Russia's closest equivalent to Jon Stewart.  No one busted in to stop the consummation, though, so there were plenty of opposition penises for everyone to look at.
It ain't different, and I'm inclined to see Guiliani as a victim rather than some kind of pervert.  Honestly, how many single-ish man would say no to sex with a flirtatious pretty young woman?
Maybe Borat wanted to point out how easy it was to be honeytrapped?   :hmm:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Berkut

I thought she actually stated that she was 15?

I mean, the entire thing is bullshit either way, but that at least is supposed to be "hook" on why we should all be outraged at him.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on October 22, 2020, 09:03:12 AM
I thought she actually stated that she was 15?

I mean, the entire thing is bullshit either way, but that at least is supposed to be "hook" on why we should all be outraged at him.

Apparently not - "The hotel room scene ends when Baron Cohen, who was disguised as part of the crew, bursts into the room in an outlandish outfit, screaming that the young woman is 15. Up to that point, there is no indication she is underage. The character — Borat's daughter in the movie — is played by actress Maria Bakalova, and is 24 years old according to a birth date listed on IMDb."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/rudy-giuliani-borat-1.5771519

DGuller

So basically SBC set a trap that was innocent enough and that most non-paranoid potential targets would fall into.