News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 27, 2020, 03:42:51 PM
The one unalterable fact is that all Presidential campaigns from NYC mayors are doomed.

Yet NYC reality show personalities have a real shot.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on January 27, 2020, 02:46:13 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 27, 2020, 02:22:02 PM
*I listen to ESPN podcasts.

What do you listen to?

On the regular: PTI, High Noon, ESPN on Ice & 30 for 30. The Daily one when they talk puck.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Valmy

Man it is magical to see it all come together like that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Let the dessert blossom with many tidy bungalows and spacious ranch style homes, all within easy commuting distance of our state of the art computer chip production facility.  Firing of rockets is strictly forbidden by terms of the homeowners association agreement.

The Minsky Moment

Looks like the old double column plan that Sharon was pushing in the 70s
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

I remember right after trump took office he commented he might not even need 4 years to achieve peace in the middle east. I guess he was right. :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Am I wrong, or are the Palestinians getting less land then was offered back in 2000?

And apparently Israel is using this as an excuse to annex the portions of the West Bank this plan says they get anyways.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on January 28, 2020, 04:00:10 PM
Am I wrong, or are the Palestinians getting less land then was offered back in 2000?

Quite a bit less and also less than in 2008.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on January 28, 2020, 04:00:10 PM

Well they sure as hell were never going to get more.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

OttoVonBismarck

So I think Kushner is an idiot but I will say one aspect of his view is probably actually correct: he went into this believing the Palestinians have a diminishing position that only gets worse over time, so they should be inclined to take as best as they can get now, because in the future they likely get worse.

I'm not arrogant enough to think I have a fix for the Palestinian problem, but the reality is we know from other occupations/territorial "holdings" from history, is the longer Israel exercises de facto control over this stuff the more likely it is the Palestinians never get to do so. In a sense Israel's holding of various internationally recognized "Palestinian" territory is no different than Russia holding Crimea or China holding Tibet (something that is still subject to an active UN Resolution decrying it as illegal--no one talks about it because it essentially is a dead issue.) The big difference is for reasons unclear to me Palestine has a very vigorous European-based group of Western advocates (that Crimea and Tibet don't enjoy--despite being occupied under far less justified circumstances), and Palestine has a violent resistance movement to the present occupation. We don't really have that in Crimea/Tibet (we obviously have violence between Russia/Ukraine in the Donbas region, but Crimeans basically seem more or less content with the current situation.)

But the reality is Palestine's violent resistance probably isn't helping them long run, and if anything I think it's "worn out" a lot of the Israeli moderates and liberals on the issue. It frankly looks like to me the Palestinians long ago turned their nose at the best deals they were ever going to get, and it's highly unlikely deals coming in the future will be any better than this one.

Now, none of that covers up the fact Jared Kushner is an idiot who has no business anywhere near this conflict, but this kernel of his understanding of it is frankly not wrong.

Barrister

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on January 28, 2020, 04:31:43 PM
So I think Kushner is an idiot but I will say one aspect of his view is probably actually correct: he went into this believing the Palestinians have a diminishing position that only gets worse over time, so they should be inclined to take as best as they can get now, because in the future they likely get worse.

But is that necessarily true?

I mean yes their on the ground strength is weaker then it has been.  Israeli security is stronger, very few terrorist attacks come from the occupied territories.  Palestinians have less international support with people like the Saudis opening up to Israel a bit.

But demographics have always been the looming fact, and those trends haven't changed.  There's still the very real likelihood that Jews become the minority in the whole of Israel and the West Bank.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tonitrus

How about forgetting all these walls/tunnels/bridges, and just have a single secular state with free movement and full citizenship/democratic rights?

Too crazy?