What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on January 17, 2019, 04:21:30 PM
QuoteI look forward to seeing you soon and even more forward to watching our open and dangerous Southern Border finally receive the attention, funding, and security it so desperately deserves!

Can somebody please explain to me how it is possible, if this thing is such an EMERGENCY EMERGENCY why nothing was done about it for that past 24 months? It wasn't desperately deserving in 2018 but it is in 2019...why? Why didn't the Republicans just build their stupid pointless wall?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/17/us/politics/trump-letter-to-pelosi-canceled-trips.html?module=inline

QuoteDear Madame Speaker:

Due to the Shutdown, I am sorry to inform you that your trip to Brussels, Egypt, and Afghanistan has been postponed. We will reschedule this seven-day excursion when the Shutdown is over. In light of the 800,000 great American workers not receiving pay, I am sure you would agree that postponing this public relations event is totally appropriate. I also feel that, during this period, it would be better if you were in Washington negotiating with me and joining the Strong Border Security movement to end the Shutdown. Obviously, if you would like to make your journey by flying commercial, that would certainly be your prerogative.

I look forward to seeing you soon and even more forward to watching our open and dangerous Southern Border finally receive the attention, funding, and security it so desperately deserves!

Sincerely,

Donald Trump

Sauce for the goose isn't apparently sauce for the gander, as Trump just after Christmas made a trip exactly like this during the shutdown.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on January 17, 2019, 04:46:11 PM
I'm okay with Trumps action, but I love the passive-aggressive tone in Pelosi's letter so much more:

Of course you are okay with Trump's action.  It is stupid and hypocritical.

Pelosi DID sound a lot more like an adult, and avoided all of Trump's doublespeak, but there seems little doubt that her intent was to put Trump on the spot.  He is all about security when it suits his needs, so she played his little game right back at him.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on January 17, 2019, 04:55:17 PM
QuoteI look forward to seeing you soon and even more forward to watching our open and dangerous Southern Border finally receive the attention, funding, and security it so desperately deserves!

Can somebody please explain to me how it is possible, if this thing is such an EMERGENCY EMERGENCY why nothing was done about it for that past 24 months? It wasn't desperately deserving in 2018 but it is in 2019...why? Why didn't the Republicans just build their stupid pointless wall?

They did fund border security in a bipartisan bill the president signed.  He welshed on the deal, though, because Fox didn't like it.  Only 6% of the $1.88 billion allocated for border security in 2018 got spent, because the Executive is non-functional.  It's only an EMERGENCY EMERGENCY when there is a political need for an emergency.   

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on January 17, 2019, 05:23:39 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 17, 2019, 04:46:11 PM
I'm okay with Trumps action, but I love the passive-aggressive tone in Pelosi's letter so much more:

Of course you are okay with Trump's action.  It is stupid and hypocritical.

Pelosi DID sound a lot more like an adult, and avoided all of Trump's doublespeak, but there seems little doubt that her intent was to put Trump on the spot.  He is all about security when it suits his needs, so she played his little game right back at him.

Pelosi's actions were as equally as petty and about pulling a "power move" as was Trump's.  "Okay" is neither an endorsement, nor a condemnation.

As a lawyer though I much more admired the writing in Pelosi's statement.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on January 17, 2019, 04:55:17 PM

That's probably why hasn't declared an emergency, that very reasoning can be used by the courts to strike it down.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Most young people hated Bush, liked Obama, and hate Trump. 20 years of being on the wrong side of young people is not a wise thing for political parties to do, because those people grow older and vote and they don't change their minds.

QuoteI am often asked if the pendulum will swing back and if Gen Z might actually be more right-leaning than the Obama-era Millennials. Current verdict: no.
https://twitter.com/KSoltisAnderson/status/1085916416342192128

QuotePew put out a "generations" report in 2010. Striking comparison to 2018 data on the role of government. Millennials did not move rightward as they aged. And Gen Z even more interested in seeing government do more.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Syt on January 17, 2019, 04:20:51 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 17, 2019, 03:50:46 PM
Trump responds to Pelosi's move to delay the SOTU: he cancels her military flight to Brussels (and Afghanistan) which was set to leave later today, telling her she should stay in town to end the government shut down.

Isn't the military in the US supposed to be non-political?

Generally yes, but they take their orders from the commander in chief.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Habbaku on January 17, 2019, 03:16:17 PM
:hmm: Is that illegal?

Anything over $10K you should use a Nieman Marcus bag.  Target if you're really being cheap.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on January 17, 2019, 03:50:46 PM
Trump responds to Pelosi's move to delay the SOTU: he cancels her military flight to Brussels (and Afghanistan) which was set to leave later today, telling her she should stay in town to end the government shut down.

No trip to Afghanistan?  What a bummer.

What's next, cancelling her government funded root canal procedure?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

When Trump leaves office he will likely be charged.  For this and probably a hundred other stupid campaign violations.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

PDH

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 17, 2019, 10:05:21 PM

No trip to Afghanistan?  What a bummer.

What's next, cancelling her government funded root canal procedure?

Well it also means missing out on the Belgium part.  Brussels is like the Des Moines of Europe.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Habbaku

The latest, breaking news from Buzzfeed of all places makes me eager to see the coked-up tweetstorm in the morning.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

Flashback to yesterday's hearing for Trump's AG nominee

Video embedded
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1086114743922905089
QuoteKlobuchar: "A president persuading a person to commit perjury would be obstruction. Is that right?"
Barr: "Yes."

Klobuchar: "You also said that a president — or any person — convincing a witness to change testimony would be obstruction. Is that right?"
Barr: "Yes."

1 Karma Chameleon point