What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Valmy

Quote from: dps on August 20, 2018, 08:05:54 PM
Meh, nuclear is the smart option.

It is an impossible option. I was hopeful that it might make a comeback about it until Fukushima. Now it seems very unlikely we can get new plants built and critically we never have solved the waste issue. When my counterparts from Japan visited the Texas PUC I asked them how they were managing it and was surprised to find out they have made no progress either.

Given those huge political and practical problems I fail to see how it is the smart option. Plants are being decommissioned, not built.

My other issue is that it does not really revolutionize the energy industry, it is just another sort of giant plant that needs tons of regulation and transmission lines. Though I guess if they got really good every house and car might have a little nuke in it, but we are probably talking about a fusion plant for that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

We have a thread for all this energy stuff!  :mad:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

Quote from: 11B4V on August 20, 2018, 10:09:20 PM
Coal FTW.

Well if you feel that way go ahead and invest all your money in Coal. I wouldn't recommend it though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

11B4V

Quote from: Valmy on August 20, 2018, 10:23:13 PM
Coal FTW.

Well if you feel that way go ahead and invest all your money in Coal. I wouldn't recommend it though.

That was for Tim. Tongue in cheek.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on August 20, 2018, 08:51:21 PM
Quote from: dps on August 20, 2018, 08:05:54 PM
Meh, nuclear is the smart option.

It is an impossible option. I was hopeful that it might make a comeback about it until Fukushima. Now it seems very unlikely we can get new plants built and critically we never have solved the waste issue. When my counterparts from Japan visited the Texas PUC I asked them how they were managing it and was surprised to find out they have made no progress either.

Given those huge political and practical problems I fail to see how it is the smart option. Plants are being decommissioned, not built.

My other issue is that it does not really revolutionize the energy industry, it is just another sort of giant plant that needs tons of regulation and transmission lines. Though I guess if they got really good every house and car might have a little nuke in it, but we are probably talking about a fusion plant for that.

The main problem with nuke plants is the huge up-front financing costs, and regulatory barriers. If you need 30 years to make your investment back, how can you know whether some new tech will come out and make your gigantic plant obsolete before that happens?

Waste disposal has obvious answers, it is pure Nimbyism that prevent them:  http://opgdgr.com/
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Minsky Moment

Designs like EPR, whatever their technical merits, have exacerbated the problems with nuclear.  Not only is the construct cost high, but most of the builds have experienced significant delays and cost overruns.  That feeds into hesitation to commit, making harder to reach economies of scale.

If there is going to be a future for nuclear, it will probably one of the small modular designs being bandied about. More plausible to build to scale and the modularity of the design would make it cheaper if you could get the scale.  Also you don't put so many resources into a single project.

That said the industry is in such a bad way in the West (and Japan) that to make it take off the impetus would need to come elsewhere, which a bunch of orders from places like China or India.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on August 21, 2018, 07:32:31 AM
The main problem with nuke plants is the huge up-front financing costs, and regulatory barriers. If you need 30 years to make your investment back, how can you know whether some new tech will come out and make your gigantic plant obsolete before that happens?

Waste disposal has obvious answers, it is pure Nimbyism that prevent them:  http://opgdgr.com/

And nimbyism is a thing for building the plants as well.

And yes this goes for all plant construction, they have to be churning along for decades to be profitable. This was not a big deal back in the old days but with the industry changing rapidly investing in big plants is a bigger risk than it used to be.

Valmy

Quote from: 11B4V on August 20, 2018, 11:32:15 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 20, 2018, 10:23:13 PM
Coal FTW.

That was for Tim. Tongue in cheek.

:blush:

jimmy olsen

Now that's funny.  :lmfao:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1032247043992023040
Quote from: Donald J. TrumpIf anyone is looking for a good lawyer, I would strongly suggest that you don't retain the services of Michael Cohen!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

crazy canuck

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 22, 2018, 08:24:56 AM
Now that's funny.  :lmfao:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1032247043992023040
Quote from: Donald J. TrumpIf anyone is looking for a good lawyer, I would strongly suggest that you don't retain the services of Michael Cohen!
[/quote

Put that one together with the one where he says he only hires the best people

DGuller

I'm sure Cohen will be disbarred as a result of his conviction, so what was the point of warning people about hiring him?

jimmy olsen

I don't believe you actually feel empathy for anyone D.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1032256443985084417
Quote from: Donald J. TrumpI feel very badly for Paul Manafort and his wonderful family. "Justice" took a 12 year old tax case, among other things, applied tremendous pressure on him and, unlike Michael Cohen, he refused to "break" - make up stories in order to get a "deal." Such respect for a brave man!

1 Karma Chameleon point