What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

She be crazy yo.

If "Merrimack College in Massachusetts" is an actual college at least now I know that it can be safely dismissed.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

I also don't like that she calls herself a survivor of sexual harassment. to me it diminishes the actual people who survived sexual assault. but maybe i'm not allowed to have that opnion.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Habbaku

Quote from: HVC on May 09, 2018, 03:40:40 PM
I also don't like that she calls herself a survivor of sexual harassment. to me it diminishes the actual people who survived sexual assault. but maybe i'm not allowed to have that opnion.

She might be referring to an incident other than bad-joke-on-an-elevator.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

HVC

Quote from: Habbaku on May 09, 2018, 04:07:59 PM
Quote from: HVC on May 09, 2018, 03:40:40 PM

She might be referring to an incident other than bad-joke-on-an-elevator.

Been even then she uses the term sexual harassment, not assault. So even if it was another case of harassment using the term survivor seems inappropriate.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on May 09, 2018, 03:00:34 PM
Quote from: dps on April 24, 2018, 11:20:58 PM
Politeness is about censoring the tone of a statement.  Political correctness is about censoring the content of a statement.

I'd like to hear the Languish SJWs' take on this "incident":

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/she-called-his-elevator-joke-offensive-he-called-her-complaint-frivolous-whos-right/2018/05/03/43ba4084-4ee1-11e8-af46-b1d6dc0d9bfe_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.0561347c17e6

The complainer is from Romania. The context was lost on her. Rather than take her to task, the professor should have simply said, "It was a cultural joke regarding department stores, not a comment specific to women's lingerie. I'm sorry if it made you feel uncomfortable. That was not my intent."

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Brain

Quote from: merithyn on May 10, 2018, 04:41:26 PM
Politeness is about censoring the tone of a statement.  Political correctness is about censoring the content of a statement.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/she-called-his-elevator-joke-offensive-he-called-her-complaint-frivolous-whos-right/2018/05/03/43ba4084-4ee1-11e8-af46-b1d6dc0d9bfe_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.0561347c17e6

The complainer is from Romania. The context was lost on her. Rather than take her to task, the professor should have simply said, "It was a cultural joke regarding department stores, not a comment specific to women's lingerie. I'm sorry if it made you feel uncomfortable. That was not my intent."

Yes let's surrender to retardism.

merithyn

Sorry. I forgot that bring kind is now considered a weakness. Carry on.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Brain

Quote from: merithyn on May 10, 2018, 04:46:52 PM
Sorry. I forgot that bring kind is now considered a weakness. Carry on.

If she had acted as an adult there wouldn't be a problem. The response to a comment you don't like is to file a formal complaint? That's retardism. She could have confronted him in the elevator, like an adult. She did not. And if her origin or grasp of English was a problem she could have refrained from jumping to conclusions, and I don't see how her grasp of English could be a problem.

Quote from: retarded professor from MerrimackIt took me a while to figure out that this man thought it was funny to make a reference to men shopping for lingerie while attending an academic conference.

Why would this be a problem at all? She is a kook and should be treated as one, unless we want to be overrun by rampant kookism.

dps

Quote from: merithyn on May 10, 2018, 04:41:26 PM

Do we know that he knew where she was from?

At any rate, it's not his job to educate her on our cultural norms.  At any rate, he was correct--her complaint is frivolous.

Admiral Yi

Why would a reasonable woman who didn't associate the gag with department store elevators feel that the words "ladies' lingerie" constituted sexual harassment?

PDH

We live in an age of over-reaction, of being the victim, and of seeking immediate redress for injustice.  Unfortunately, for all the spectrum, this is true.  The right's being attacked for being a member of the majority religion forced to recognize other faiths, the left's umbrage and outrage at any perceived slight - they are two sides of the same coin.

Language is imprecise and prone to misunderstandings, and we all muddle through a web of misunderstanding every day.  Yet somehow people who really should know better think that words they cannot fully appreciate in the context they are spoken (a basic fact, we are not robots and we try to use a system of metaphor to communicate), manage to become in their own minds the victim of assumed attacks.

You know the fuck what?  You own a bakery and someone wants a wedding cake for a gay marriage - fucking bake it while loving the sinner and hating the sin if that is how you define it.  You are in a public space (say, an elevator) that still contains private space (say, a person and their friends joking), let it the fuck alone.  Rather than assume we all know what is said, assume we don't know the fuck what another person means to them.  If you unclear, ask for clarity - at least it might help.

In part, Brain was right, we are in an age or retardation, but not one of developmental disorders.  Instead we are in an age of self-imposed Down's Syndrome in which everyone gets to feel that they win the prize, they are the best, and their own precious views should be the best.  This goes for all the spectrum, we just pick the side that seems more egregious and ridicule them.  Fucking bake the cake, fucking shut the fuck up and let someone make a mild joke that you might (MIGHT, omg) misunderstand be there.

Of course, I could be wrong.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

PDH

And really, I think this whole bit should be split off into its own thread.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: dps on May 10, 2018, 04:55:34 PM
At any rate, it's not his job to educate her on our cultural norms.  At any rate, he was correct--her complaint is frivolous.

No, he was not correct. He was busted by the disclplinary committee.

I mean it is pretty ridiculous but it has been this was for the past 20 years. You shut the fuck up in a professional environment if you are a man. That ivory tower professor was clearly too isolated to have gotten the message.

Ultimately I think it is better than the Mad Men type of deal of the past and American society seems to loath moderation.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on May 10, 2018, 09:46:55 PM
And really, I think this whole bit should be split off into its own thread.

Probably. Not sure why Spicey put it here.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."