What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Burn the party to the ground and start over. The Republicans did it (against their will, possibly) and won bigly.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 09, 2016, 05:35:37 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 09, 2016, 05:04:25 PM
That's 10 million Democratic voters who took a nap during the most important election of my life time.

Hillary was a really bad candidate, it turned out.

She really was. She drove me nuts. Every time it looked like she had it in the bag she would collapse/
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 09, 2016, 05:45:56 PM
Burn the party to the ground and start over. The Republicans did it (against their will, possibly) and won bigly.

The election really doesn't move the needle much for the Democrats - their key problem before was their horrific performance in state legislature and governors races and that remains their problem.  Fix that and their talent pipeline and national issues can be remedied.

Somewhat paradoxically the election presents more of a structural challenge to the GOP because their animating philosophy since the late 70s - movement conservatism - took a huge blow from Trumpism.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

It has already started. The populist leftists, long dormant since the Clinton years, are soon going to be back. Things are about to really suck.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 09, 2016, 07:13:19 PM

The election really doesn't move the needle much for the Democrats - their key problem before was their horrific performance in state legislature and governors races and that remains their problem.  Fix that and their talent pipeline and national issues can be remedied.

Somewhat paradoxically the election presents more of a structural challenge to the GOP because their animating philosophy since the late 70s - movement conservatism - took a huge blow from Trumpism.

How is it they can be so competitive in the US Senate yet be so horrible with Governors? They are both statewide races.

The Minsky Moment

Trump's whole schtick was he was going to up-end the Establishment and bring new blood to DC

Meanwhile, the names that keep getting dropped for senior slots are two, tired 90s era retreads (Newt and Rudy), the longstanding chair of the Republican National Committee (Priebus), and Steve Mnuchin, a second generation Goldman Sachs banker whose father is a now prominent Upper East Side art gallery owner.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 09, 2016, 07:21:07 PM
Trump's whole schtick was he was going to up-end the Establishment and bring new blood to DC

Meanwhile, the names that keep getting dropped for senior slots are two, tired 90s era retreads (Newt and Rudy), the longstanding chair of the Republican National Committee (Priebus), and Steve Mnuchin, a second generation Goldman Sachs banker whose father is a now prominent Upper East Side art gallery owner.

Sounds like you might have encountered one or both socially?   :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: mongers on November 09, 2016, 07:25:04 PM

Not personally, it's the sort of people one knows by reputation when one is an elitist East Coast liberal snob.  Not the sorts known for their deep affection for and connection with the Blue Mountain Ridge, Michigan's upper peninsula, or the denizens of Kenosha County.

(although some UP wine is actually pretty decent . . .)
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on November 09, 2016, 07:12:41 PM

She really was. She drove me nuts. Every time it looked like she had it in the bag she would collapse/

Sorry, but that's a cop-out.  A "really bad candidate" is not an excuse to abrogate one's morality and decency.   

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 09, 2016, 07:41:13 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 09, 2016, 07:12:41 PM

Sorry, but that's a cop-out.  A "really bad candidate" is not an excuse to abrogate one's morality and decency.   

Seemed good enough for the Bernie bros.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on November 09, 2016, 08:05:15 PM
Seemed good enough for the Bernie bros.

Suicide bombers don't always detonate their vests or cars.

Savonarola

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 09, 2016, 07:37:59 PM

Not personally, it's the sort of people one knows by reputation when one is an elitist East Coast liberal snob.  Not the sorts known for their deep affection for and connection with the Blue Mountain Ridge, Michigan's upper peninsula, or the denizens of Kenosha County.

There are a couple wineries in the upper peninsula; but the wines you've had are almost certainly from the northern edge of the lower peninsula.  The Leelanau and Old Mission Peninsulas wines are the ones that usually win awards and such.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

LaCroix

the voters were all coming at it from different perspectives. blame the candidate, not the voters. that doesn't accomplish anything. as much as I like hillary, she just wasn't the right candidate for this election.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 09, 2016, 07:37:59 PM

So are have you decided if you're going to wear your star as a lapel pin, or along the lines of, say, a pocket kerchief?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on November 09, 2016, 08:11:51 PM
the voters were all coming at it from different perspectives. blame the candidate, not the voters. that doesn't accomplish anything. as much as I like hillary, she just wasn't the right candidate for this election.

And out of those perspectives, only one made sense: keeping Trump out of the White House.