What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on December 12, 2017, 10:32:49 AM
It still baffles me how a person like this could have been democratically elected to anything, let alone POTUS.

It paints an incredibly bad picture of American society, really.

Our country is filled with idiots. But, to be fair, so is yours.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

So is mine. There seems to be a trend here.  :hmm:

Malthus

America always has to have the biggest of everything ...  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Caliga on December 12, 2017, 01:18:40 PM
Quote from: Tamas on December 12, 2017, 10:32:49 AM
It still baffles me how a person like this could have been democratically elected to anything, let alone POTUS.
It's because we are dumb enough to allow the people to directly elect our leader.  That's a pretty terrible idea and most of Europe knows better than that.
Except... we don't.  We have the magical Electoral College model!  You know, so if the electorate ever does something truly stupid and foolish, we have a nice group of elites to prevent America from electing a disaster.  Oh.  Whoops.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Valmy

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on December 12, 2017, 02:32:15 PM
Except... we don't.  We have the magical Electoral College model!  You know, so if the electorate ever does something truly stupid and foolish, we have a nice group of elites to prevent America from electing a disaster.  Oh.  Whoops.

That is what I thought the Electoral College was supposed to do. But sometimes I hear that it was designed to give more power to the smaller states. I thought the Senate was supposed to do that.

Granted the Electoral College has never done what it was supposed to do. I mean even basing the election on a popular vote was the exception rather than the rule for the first couple Presidential elections anyway.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

If Jones wins today, Trumpenfuhrer will say the election was rigged.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

2 minutes till the bug eyed cow spews shirt.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Valmy on December 12, 2017, 02:50:43 PM

That is what I thought the Electoral College was supposed to do. But sometimes I hear that it was designed to give more power to the smaller states. I thought the Senate was supposed to do that.

Granted the Electoral College has never done what it was supposed to do. I mean even basing the election on a popular vote was the exception rather than the rule for the first couple Presidential elections anyway.
Exactly.  Every reason it was created for it has either now failed or is redundant somewhere in the federal setup we have.  Direct democracy has its pitfalls, but I think it's a better option than the system we have in place with the EC.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on December 12, 2017, 02:50:43 PM

Sure it has;  it provided a population counterbalance for slave states.  It should've been dumped when 3/5s was dumped.

Caliga

Actually, excellent point.  If we had gone by the popular vote we would have had President Hillary.  Oh wait, I'm sorry, IT WAS RIGGED!!!!!!!!!

But really, I was trying to say I wish we had the party in power pick the leader internally.  I'm not particularly fond of Mitch McConnell, but compared to Trump?  Mitch please.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on December 12, 2017, 03:32:16 PM
But really, I was trying to say I wish we had the party in power pick the leader internally.  I'm not particularly fond of Mitch McConnell, but compared to Trump?  Mitch please.

I forget my Constitutional History classes, but I think that was the New York Plan?  The Senate elects the POTUS?

Caliga

Not exactly.  I may be mistaken but in British-style systems the party has a leader elected internally by the MPs and if that party assumes power that leader automatically becomes PM.  The party not in power has a 'shadow' cabinet at all times with preselected members for cabinet positions including PM, so if power flips, those dudes automatically assume their respective offices.

Isn't that how it works?  If so, I like that system and wish to subscribe to its newsletter.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on December 12, 2017, 03:38:11 PM
Not exactly.  I may be mistaken but in British-style systems the party has a leader elected internally by the MPs and if that party assumes power that leader automatically becomes PM.  The party not in power has a 'shadow' cabinet at all times with preselected members for cabinet positions including PM, so if power flips, those dudes automatically assume their respective offices.

Isn't that how it works?  If so, I like that system and wish to subscribe to its newsletter.

Sort of.  the leader is elected by the party members not by the MPs alone.  The most significant difference is that if a sitting Prime Minister resigns any sitting MP, if elected leader, would become the PM.  As a result there is a lot more incentive for elected members of Parliament to oust a poor leader.  No only do they safeguard their own electoral prospects, but they might get the top job. In the US, no sitting senator has a chance to become president during the four year term of the President.  That honour falls to the VP then on down the cabinet iirc.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on December 12, 2017, 03:38:11 PM

I'm not talking Eurotrash nonsense, but the various plans of the Constitutional Convention.  The Virginia Plan, Congress selects the Executive.

dps

Quote from: Caliga on December 12, 2017, 03:32:16 PM

That's kind of how it worked up until about 1820--Presidential candidates were selected by their party's Congressional caucus.