Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: The Brain on October 20, 2017, 11:06:59 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 20, 2017, 09:48:21 AM
Quote from: Liep on October 20, 2017, 09:38:26 AM
Quote from: mongers on October 20, 2017, 07:17:23 AM
Donald J. Trump 

@realDonaldTrump

Just out report: "United Kingdom crime rises 13% annually amid spread of Radical Islamic terror." Not good, we must keep America safe!

3:31 AM* - 20 Oct 2017

:hmm:   :bowler:

* GMT

I don't understand any of that.

Greenwich Mean Time

Gays aren't mean.

Tell that to Garbon
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: 11B4V on October 20, 2017, 11:56:39 AM
I thought Maddow did a good job on drilling into Niger last night. Very good reporting.

Clip from show
http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Maddow is an extremely annoying person.  She tells these weird, meandering stories and has gives this impression that she's still trying to be the teacher's pet.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on October 20, 2017, 04:26:13 PM
Maddow is an extremely annoying person.  She tells these weird, meandering stories and has gives this impression that she's still trying to be the teacher's pet.

I have only seen her show a few times.  On those occasions she was using an effective layered narrative technique.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on October 20, 2017, 04:26:13 PM

She doesn't have to be the teacher's pet. Stanford '94 and a DPhil from Oxford. 

And stop hating on long form television journalism.

Jacob

So I'm told that this executive order from today allows the recall of inactive service members: https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/10/20/presidential-executive-order-amending-executive-order-13223

If true, I wonder what's up....

dps

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 20, 2017, 08:12:59 AM
Quote from: dps on October 19, 2017, 11:37:44 PM
I don't trust the media, but while I do think that much of the media is biased (often unconsciously), I think the real problem with them is incompetence, not bias.

Why?

Because it's pretty clear that people who work in the national media, as a whole, are more heavily liberal and lean more heavily toward the Democratic party than the public at large.  I think most of them try to be professional and unbiased, but they're human;  some of their bias is going to creep in, even if they aren't aware of it.

As for the incompetence, look at how many stories posted here have sparked some degree of outrage, but the outrage has subsided once we got more information and realized that many things in the story were incorrect, or that important details had been left out.

frunk

Quote from: dps on October 20, 2017, 06:10:43 PM
As for the incompetence, look at how many stories posted here have sparked some degree of outrage, but the outrage has subsided once we got more information and realized that many things in the story were incorrect, or that important details had been left out.

That's not a function of incompetence, rather the nature of information and human responses to it.  The first information gained is always the least accurate but inspires the strongest reaction.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Jacob on October 20, 2017, 06:00:54 PM
So I'm told that this executive order from today allows the recall of inactive service members: https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/10/20/presidential-executive-order-amending-executive-order-13223

If true, I wonder what's up....

I haven't looked hard into it, but on the surface it looks like it is delegating the power to recall the IRR to the service secretaries.

11B4V

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on October 20, 2017, 06:10:43 PM
Because it's pretty clear that people who work in the national media, as a whole, are more heavily liberal and lean more heavily toward the Democratic party than the public at large.  I think most of them try to be professional and unbiased, but they're human;  some of their bias is going to creep in, even if they aren't aware of it.

Does that make it incorrect?

mongers

Quote from: Liep on October 20, 2017, 09:38:26 AM
Quote from: mongers on October 20, 2017, 07:17:23 AM
Donald J. Trump 

@realDonaldTrump

Just out report: "United Kingdom crime rises 13% annually amid spread of Radical Islamic terror." Not good, we must keep America safe!

3:31 AM* - 20 Oct 2017

:hmm:   :bowler:

* GMT

I don't understand any of that.

Trump must have been watching the One America News Network this morning 6.25am, because the video I saw shows a report about rising crime in the UK and the strap-line below said:

"Migrant Crisis -  UK crime rises 13% annually amid spread of radical Islamic terror"

The voice over (pictures of Britain First demonstrators carrying Union Jacks)  said: "Officials speculate the surge in crime may have resulted from mass migration and the spread of violent ideologies including sharia law and radical islam."

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on October 20, 2017, 08:33:53 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 20, 2017, 07:27:49 PM
He's insane.

And he's all of ours President.  :cry:

Should've been making all those NATO payments you owe then, instead of ripping us off in such a bad deal.