What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on September 25, 2017, 05:01:12 AM
Ben Roethlisberger sexually assaults women, but that's okay.  Michael Vick fights dogs, but he gets to play again.  Ray Lewis is an accessory to murder, but taking part in a silent protest?  Well, that crosses the line.

Only Vick was found guilty and he served his time.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 25, 2017, 05:05:42 AM
Well, I think part of the justification is how much those countries cooperate with the U.S. as far as vetting the entries. Saudi Arabia may produce lots of terrorists but their government shares intel with us. Venezuela probably doesn't tell us shit.

Don't share info with us and we ban your citizens from entering our country?

Anyway, the real justification is it makes it less of a muslim ban and more of 'these are our enemies' ban.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Let's not toss SA in with the rest of the pro-West intel services, people.  They're not exactly Scotland Yard, you know.  When pressured or when it's convenient, they toss what bones they need to toss and will round up the usual suspects.

Razgovory

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 25, 2017, 05:07:22 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 25, 2017, 05:01:12 AM
Ben Roethlisberger sexually assaults women, but that's okay.  Michael Vick fights dogs, but he gets to play again.  Ray Lewis is an accessory to murder, but taking part in a silent protest?  Well, that crosses the line.

Only Vick was found guilty and he served his time.

Didn't Lewis get probation?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on September 24, 2017, 07:36:31 PM
The anthem and flag represent an ideal of what America should be - they are saying that America is not living up to that ideal, and they are going to respectfully point that out by NOT standing in an effort to draw attention to a failure of our aspiration to realize that.

No. It's actually disrespectful to kneel or sit during the anthem.  Which they are (and should be) free to do. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

In all the hubbub over the national anthem, Trump's insane comments about insufficient violence in football seem to have gone under the radar.  The NFL is facing a massive health and financial crisis in CTE.  It is a personal tragedy for the individuals affected, a deadly risk for those still playing, and a financial time bomb for an NFL facing Big Tobacco-like litigation for the forseeable future.  For the President of the United States to use his platform to bray for more violence in football is beyond irresponsible.  It's outright criminal, an incitement to violence. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Obviously still pissy over that whole USFL thingy.

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Quote from: Savonarola on September 25, 2017, 10:51:33 AM
From now on it is entirely about Trump; the NFL has given him exactly what he wants, a bigger and brighter limelight.

What is he like Voldemort now? If people just stop saying his name he has no power? He is President of the United States. If he says something it is hard to just ignore it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DontSayBanana

Trump's whole thing about the protesting being about "disrespecting the flag" is complete and utter bullshit. He praised NASCAR, which allows Confederate battle flags- I'm pretty sure flying the flag of traitors who murdered thousands of US soldiers is a far bigger insult to the flag and to the government than just not standing up during a stupid song.
Experience bij!

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on September 25, 2017, 11:07:06 AM
From now on it is entirely about Trump; the NFL has given him exactly what he wants, a bigger and brighter limelight.

What is he like Voldemort now? If people just stop saying his name he has no power? He is President of the United States. If he says something it is hard to just ignore it.

While I do think the coverage of Trump's comment has been excessive; that's not the point I was trying to make.  CNN has run 19 unique stories about the protests this weekend; this is the most coverage these protests have gotten or are ever going to get.  Every single one of them mentions Donald Trump by name in the headline.  The protests are no longer about social justice or racial inequality or civil rights (and not participating is no longer about patriotism or respect); they're about Donald Trump, which is what he wants.

Upon reflection no matter what the NFL or their players had done the result would have been the same.  Stand up you support Trump, kneel you oppose Trump, lock arms you stand in solidarity against Trump, don't take the field and you thwart Trump.  I should not have blamed them.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

Wasn't Brady a fanboi?  Maybe he's the turning of the tide.

frunk

Quote from: Savonarola on September 25, 2017, 12:27:04 PM

While I do think the coverage of Trump's comment has been excessive; that's not the point I was trying to make.  CNN has run 19 unique stories about the protests this weekend; this is the most coverage these protests have gotten or are ever going to get.  Every single one of them mentions Donald Trump by name in the headline.  The protests are no longer about social justice or racial inequality or civil rights (and not participating is no longer about patriotism or respect); they're about Donald Trump, which is what he wants.

Upon reflection no matter what the NFL or their players had done the result would have been the same.  Stand up you support Trump, kneel you oppose Trump, lock arms you stand in solidarity against Trump, don't take the field and you thwart Trump.  I should not have blamed them.

It's how the media packages what they are selling.  They get a lot more traffic when Trump's name is attached than when it isn't.  At this point anything anybody does that is even peripherally related to Trump will get sucked into that vortex.  Sex sells, but not as well as Trump.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on September 25, 2017, 11:07:06 AM

Sav would much rather the headlines be covered with nuclear war rhetoric with North Korea.  Much more soothing to the public.