What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Yeah I am not seeing just a ton of movement on public opinion. Trump himself spoke what seems to be the truth when he said he could shoot somebody and not lose support.

So perhaps everybody is too entrenched to actually change their opinion based on what a politician actually does. How you are supposed to be feel about them is seemingly dictated by whatever media you consume.

So I was recently directed to this website during a discussion of voter fraud and I was amazed both by its stated mission and the contrast with how it seemed to give extensive cherry picked quotes and extensive editorializing among giving data http://www.justfacts.com/index.asp

It was so unnecessary. If you want to give just facts, just give the facts and save the editorializing and cherry picked quotes for other commenting on your facts.

So then I got to the section on race and I was especially annoyed by the notion that racism was mainly created by scientists like Darwin as a 'fact' as if confirmation bias had nothing to do with it. Then I found out the guy who runs the website published this: http://rationalconclusions.com/about.asp

:bleeding:

It is frustrating. Here we have an organization that pretends to be an honest broker. There is so much nonsense out there it is no wonder we are all getting completely different information and therefore coming to completely different conclusions.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 21, 2017, 10:28:24 AM
Quote from: derspiess on June 20, 2017, 10:00:47 PM
Correct. Originally this was a huge referendum on Trump. But now that it went the wrong way, it's meaningless.

It's not meaningless.  The GOP averted what would have been a political disaster and in that sense it is definitely a victory for them.  But is the GOP congress looking at this result and taking great comfort?  I think not.

I was going by the media narrative. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on June 21, 2017, 09:09:06 AM
Seems like it always happens in these special elections.  Polls hint at an upset win, tons of money and media attention flow in, upstart candidate narrowly loses, then next election things are back to normal.

But I could be wrong.  Maybe next year the Dems will get supermajorities in both houses, Trump and Pence will both be impeached and removed from office, and Nancy Pelosi will then become our next president.

Unlikely. Your team is winning fairly thoroughly.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on June 21, 2017, 11:21:44 AM
Yeah I am not seeing just a ton of movement on public opinion. Trump himself spoke what seems to be the truth when he said he could shoot somebody and not lose support.

The man does have a conman's eye for a mark.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on June 21, 2017, 10:49:20 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 21, 2017, 10:28:24 AM
Quote from: derspiess on June 20, 2017, 10:00:47 PM
Correct. Originally this was a huge referendum on Trump. But now that it went the wrong way, it's meaningless.

It's not meaningless.  The GOP averted what would have been a political disaster and in that sense it is definitely a victory for them.  But is the GOP congress looking at this result and taking great comfort?  I think not.

Taking great comfort?  Clearly not.

But neither are they of the opinion that Trump is an anchor pulling them all to their doom.  Ossof won the same % of the vote as Clinton did a few months ago.  If this was a referendum on Trump it means that opinions haven't changed that much since election day.  Which in some ways makes sense - if you were paying attention President Trump has acted just like Candidate Trump was.  And if you weren't paying attention, well you still aren't.
the mistake you make is to assume that this specific county in Georgia, where the election took place, is somewhat representative of the entire US.  I lack data to clearly analyse it, but the simple fact that it has been a Republican fortress for so long seems to indicate it is not the case.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on June 21, 2017, 11:53:40 AM
Quote from: derspiess on June 21, 2017, 09:09:06 AM
Seems like it always happens in these special elections.  Polls hint at an upset win, tons of money and media attention flow in, upstart candidate narrowly loses, then next election things are back to normal.

But I could be wrong.  Maybe next year the Dems will get supermajorities in both houses, Trump and Pence will both be impeached and removed from office, and Nancy Pelosi will then become our next president.

Unlikely. Your team is winning fairly thoroughly.

Remind me again plz, which team is mine?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

The Republicans? They control most states and both houses of congress. Even if you don't count Trump as your team you seem to be kicking a fair amount of ass.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ed Anger

At least Spicy is a winner, unlike most of you autistic losers.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 21, 2017, 12:36:52 PM

Well he is a Cardinals fan :hmm:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on June 21, 2017, 12:46:56 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on June 21, 2017, 12:36:52 PM

Well he is a Cardinals fan :hmm:

But also a Bengals fan.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Good point. Kind of ruins your point there Ed.

Ed Anger

My point stands. He is a winner. The rest of you whiny crybabies need to do some push ups. And not those girl ones either.

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 21, 2017, 12:56:37 PM
My point stands. He is a winner. The rest of you whiny crybabies need to do some push ups. And not those girl ones either.

:(

How many do I have to do?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on June 21, 2017, 12:58:43 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on June 21, 2017, 12:56:37 PM

:(

How many do I have to do?

20, MAGGOT!

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on June 21, 2017, 12:23:24 PM
Remind me again plz, which team is mine?

The Republicans.

You know, the ones who believe in social and fiscal conservatism, that lowering taxes and regulation is good, that social spending is wasteful, that racism is more of a joke than a social problem, that the US is a Christian nation, that you've worked hard and deserve what you've got and that poor people mostly have themselves to blame, that the government shouldn't worry about things like housing and health care and that if people can't get the things they need it's basically their own tough luck.

That seems to be fairly congruent with the policy positions you've expressed so far and that's what you're getting, even if American institutions are being undermined and you have an incompetent narcissist in charge.

Sure, you didn't vote for Trump but Trump was elected by your team nonetheless and is working with the people you give the impression that you support. It's people with your values and attitudes who are setting the direction for America right now, the flailing and gnashing of teeth of the Democratic opposition notwithstanding.