What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

I agree that a free press is essential to a functioning democracy. I do not think that groups organizing to pressure advertisers to not put their marketing money into odious outlets is a threat to the free press at this point, not even remotely. The pressure they exert on the the nature and direction of the discourse pales in comparison to the influence of various oligarchs and their money - whether we're talking people like Murdoch and his media empire or the Mercers funding Breitbart.

Even with the oligarchs I think that's probably alright even if I'm not fond of most of them or the political agendas they successfully peddle via their outlets.

To me "free press" means "free from government censorship" combined with a diverse set of views being represented. It does not mean that any given outlet has a right to advertising dollars with no connection made to the advertisers in the public mind.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on June 20, 2017, 12:04:55 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 20, 2017, 07:29:46 AM
Quote from: Berkut on June 20, 2017, 07:18:13 AM
I don't even see how the idea of using public pressure to influence advertising dollars is remotely a "dangerous strategy" anyway.

Advertising is, by its nature, a public attempt to influence buying habits. How is it not fair pool to turn around and use it to influence "journalists" who are apparently motivated by nothing other than their need for those advertising dollars?
It's a dangerous tactic because what if causes like gay rights are viewed as toxic to advertisers?  Sometimes the right things are not popular at first, it can cut both ways.  We're lucky that the buying power is heavily tilted to the progressive side these days, but that's not always going to be the case.

Yes, what if people have the... *gasp* wrong opinions on stuff??!? :o

Then you re-educate them.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Quote from: garbon on June 20, 2017, 12:30:47 PM
I don't even see how the idea of using public pressure to influence advertising dollars is remotely a "dangerous strategy" anyway.

Advertising is, by its nature, a public attempt to influence buying habits. How is it not fair pool to turn around and use it to influence "journalists" who are apparently motivated by nothing other than their need for those advertising dollars?
It's a dangerous tactic because what if causes like gay rights are viewed as toxic to advertisers?  Sometimes the right things are not popular at first, it can cut both ways.  We're lucky that the buying power is heavily tilted to the progressive side these days, but that's not always going to be the case.

perhaps in a camp of some sort?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on June 20, 2017, 01:22:23 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 20, 2017, 12:30:47 PM

perhaps in a camp of some sort?

In a theatre.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

You know, everyone talks about Germany's badass uniforms but those brown party sacks were hideous.

Admiral Yi

Syt, didn't you just break the law?  :hmm:

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 20, 2017, 02:53:36 PM

He lives in Austria. He can post about all the Nazi stuff he wants.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

citizen k

Eddie Teach

Did Syt delete a post or did Yi misread Viper's name?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 20, 2017, 03:13:42 PM
Did Syt delete a post or did Yi misread Viper's name?

I just figured Yi misplaced a post that was supposed to be in the Argentina Nazi hoard thread.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Syt

Referring to the Argentine nazi stash: Copyright law, maybe, because I didn't have authorization to reproduce the story or images. But other than that, no. Swastikas etc. as part of a news story, historical essay, movies etc. are fine as long as you're not glorifying nazism or deny the facts of the holocaust.

If I decided to wear a swastika t-shirt or paint my car with SS-runes it would be a different matter.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

QuoteDonald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

While I greatly appreciate the efforts of President Xi & China to help with North Korea, it has not worked out. At least I know China tried!
2:38 PM · Jun 20, 2017

I really wish he would stop doing this.  Insane sociopath strongmen don't like being vaguely threatened by being referred to in the past tense, and I doubt Kim does, either.

mongers

Quote from: Syt on June 20, 2017, 04:03:27 PM

Referring to the Argentine nazi stash: Copyright law, maybe, because I didn't have authorization to reproduce the story or images. But other than that, no. Swastikas etc. as part of a news story, historical essay, movies etc. are fine as long as you're not glorifying nazism or deny the facts of the holocaust.

If I decided to wear a swastika t-shirt or paint my car with SS-runes it would be a different matter.

So like in Germany you can't buy a model kit with accurate decals?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"