What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camerus

I agree that that is happening in some cases, but the article makes it sound like what SG is doing goes beyond that in orher cases.  I'll add emphasis:

QuoteBecause of "programmatic" ad buying, many companies don't even know they are appearing on these sites. We inform them and help them with advice on taking their ads down.

— Facebook, Sleeping Giants

Sleeping Giants has now persuaded2200 companies in the US and Europe to stop their ads appearing on Breitbart.

I find the use of "many" and "persuaded" suggestive of a more rigorous approach thab merely giving a casual FYI. But I'll admit I've only heard of SG from this article.

Jacob

Quote from: Camerus on June 19, 2017, 06:55:57 PM
I agree that that is happening in some cases, but the article makes it sound like what SG is doing goes beyond that in orher cases.  I'll add emphasis:

QuoteBecause of "programmatic" ad buying, many companies don't even know they are appearing on these sites. We inform them and help them with advice on taking their ads down.

Sleeping Giants has now persuaded2200 companies in the US and Europe to stop their ads appearing on Breitbart.

I find the use of "many" and "persuaded" suggestive of a more rigorous approach thab merely giving a casual FYI. But I'll admit I've only heard of SG from this article.

What's the problem with the more rigorous approach, in your opinion?

Camerus

Well, I'm going to conjecture that the more rigorous approach involves the eventual threat of a public shaming campaign, presumably resulting in hassle and more importantly lost revenue beyond what they were projecting to gain from their ads.

Whether or not you think it's good that the company then agrees to take down is where we'd probably disagree. But I hold thar it's a greater good to encourage ideological diversity (or at least not discourage it) even where those views seem distasteful rather than enforce a particular ideological position.   That's not to say that there are absolutely no views that are beyond the pale, but IMO that bar must be extremely high. I'm not sure that bar has been met here.

11B4V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 19, 2017, 07:58:45 AM
Breitbart defanged? :hmm:

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s4684371.htm

Quote...

Breitbart's first big problem is that its audience is deserting it, falling by more than half since the US election, according to Comscore, from almost 23 million to fewer than 11 million visitors a month.

But an even bigger worry is that a social media campaign run by Sleeping Giants has made Breitbart's advertisers run for cover.

... Sleeping Giants is dedicated to stopping racist, sexist, anti-Semitic and homophobic news sites by stopping their ad dollars. Because of "programmatic" ad buying, many companies don't even know they are appearing on these sites. We inform them and help them with advice on taking their ads down.

Sleeping Giants has now persuaded 2200 companies in the US and Europe to stop their ads appearing on Breitbart.

And according to America's Digiday that boycott is having a massive impact.

Breitbart ads plummet nearly 90 percent in three months as Trump's troubles mount

— Digiday, 6 June, 2017

And remarkably, this dramatic fall in revenue also appears to have persuaded Breitbart to moderate its output. As the Washington Post reported last week:

The clarion of the far right seems to be having second thoughts about how far right it wants to go.

... Breitbart News has lately been trimming back some of its more extreme elements ...

— Washington Post, 7 June, 2017

Defanged? No.

There is no shortage of crazy out there.

But good on those companies.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Camerus on June 19, 2017, 06:55:57 PM

I think "many" just means that there are in fact companies which do already track where their ad revenues go.

"Persuaded" I think is just shorthand for "they were given information, and then they changed their ad buying."  I've never heard of this company involved in any public shaming campaigns.  Also, pretty sure this company is for-profit, and what's the percentage in public shaming?

Camerus

I just Googled it and this was tge first article I saw. Looks to me like it does in fact encourage public shaming campaigns.  http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2016/12/sleeping_giants_campaign_against_breitbart.html

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: Camerus on June 19, 2017, 07:17:52 PM
Well, I'm going to conjecture that the more rigorous approach involves the eventual threat of a public shaming campaign, presumably resulting in hassle and more importantly lost revenue beyond what they were projecting to gain from their ads.

Whether or not you think it's good that the company then agrees to take down is where we'd probably disagree. But I hold thar it's a greater good to encourage ideological diversity (or at least not discourage it) even where those views seem distasteful rather than enforce a particular ideological position.   That's not to say that there are absolutely no views that are beyond the pale, but IMO that bar must be extremely high. I'm not sure that bar has been met here.
In my mind, the bar lowered just a bit once we saw the endgame of ceaseless brainwashing.  Democracy is under threat when a large portion of the population is impervious to facts, and is a willing pawn of hostile foreign powers that are a threat to us.  This calls for employment of counter-strategies that would normally be judged potentially too dangerous.

Berkut

I don't even see how the idea of using public pressure to influence advertising dollars is remotely a "dangerous strategy" anyway.

Advertising is, by its nature, a public attempt to influence buying habits. How is it not fair pool to turn around and use it to influence "journalists" who are apparently motivated by nothing other than their need for those advertising dollars?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on June 20, 2017, 07:18:13 AM
I don't even see how the idea of using public pressure to influence advertising dollars is remotely a "dangerous strategy" anyway.

Advertising is, by its nature, a public attempt to influence buying habits. How is it not fair pool to turn around and use it to influence "journalists" who are apparently motivated by nothing other than their need for those advertising dollars?
It's a dangerous tactic because what if causes like gay rights are viewed as toxic to advertisers?  Sometimes the right things are not popular at first, it can cut both ways.  We're lucky that the buying power is heavily tilted to the progressive side these days, but that's not always going to be the case.

crazy canuck

There used to be a large wall built between the advertising department and the news desks.  Now that has eroded significantly on both sides.  As you point out we now have "journalists" how aim for greater advertising and the departure of advertising dollars from legitimate news sources has put them under significant financial strain.

I agree with DGuller that the weakening of the press is one of the greatest threats to a healthy democracy.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on June 19, 2017, 01:34:26 PM

They had a whole section dedicated to Black Crime.

That's racist, but not necessarily fascist.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on June 20, 2017, 07:29:46 AM
It's a dangerous tactic because what if causes like gay rights are viewed as toxic to advertisers?  Sometimes the right things are not popular at first, it can cut both ways.  We're lucky that the buying power is heavily tilted to the progressive side these days, but that's not always going to be the case.

Gay rights WERE viewed as toxic by advertisers not too long ago.  Many factors influence advertising placement, and informed advertising placement seems more socially acceptable than blanket advertising placement.  You think Koch Industries does not take care in where they place their ads?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on June 20, 2017, 07:29:46 AM

Yes, what if people have the... *gasp* wrong opinions on stuff??!? :o
Women want me. Men want to be with me.