2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

It was electing Obama that did it. If we had just elected Hillary or McCain back in 2008 this never would have happened. He would have probably been Hillary's biggest fan.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on May 31, 2024, 01:35:35 PMIt was electing Obama that did it. If we had just elected Hillary or McCain back in 2008 this never would have happened. He would have probably been Hillary's biggest fan.

I dunno - Trump did say he was running for President in 2000 under the Reform Party ticket.  He dropped out after a few months but it was something obviously on his mind.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

He's been talking about running since the 1980s.  I remember seeing him on a talk show (Phil Donahue?) and he brought it up as "something people are telling me I should do, but I'm not sure if I want to" or some such bullshit.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on May 31, 2024, 01:40:53 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 31, 2024, 01:35:35 PMIt was electing Obama that did it. If we had just elected Hillary or McCain back in 2008 this never would have happened. He would have probably been Hillary's biggest fan.

I dunno - Trump did say he was running for President in 2000 under the Reform Party ticket.  He dropped out after a few months but it was something obviously on his mind.

Ah. See Trump said he ran because of Obama. He just lies about even the most insignificant things.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

I think it's very conceivable that Trump did run because of Obama.  Obama's roast of Trump at that dinner may very well have lit the fire in Trump to do this for real, not just talk about it.  Obama's gift of eloquently mocking his adversaries unfortunately also came with the curse of fatally underestimating them.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 31, 2024, 12:18:26 PMYeah - but from my understanding if Trump hadn't become President there's no reason to think Michael Cohen (his lawyer for a decade) was about to be disbarred or that any other Trump lawyer really ran that risk. There were always lawyers willing to do the work - and my understanding is the main issue with Trump was his relaxed approach to paying bills.

If the reason the rich can't use law as a weapon is the personal integrity of the legal profession we're in a worse position than I imagined :P (Edit: Or, perhaps, the rich have enough money to override those issues.)

I was not talking about Cohen, he is not the first of Trump's lawyers to be disbarred.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 31, 2024, 09:05:39 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 31, 2024, 08:59:25 AMHow so?

Losing twice to Carroll and once to the NYAG was all part of his cunning plan to flood New York state with his money and cause an inflationary spiral that will take down Biden.

And don't forget his crushing $3 verdict against the NFL.

:D