Refractory Gauls, or the French politics thread

Started by Duque de Bragança, June 26, 2021, 11:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PJL

Quote from: viper37 on March 25, 2024, 04:09:40 PM
Quote from: Josquius on March 22, 2024, 11:38:44 PM- the unfolding bananapocolypse
That is a myth though.

Rediscovering local varieties does not mean shutting off the borders to all foreign markets.  If you look at 3rd world countries that have high tariffs, this is actually hurting their economy, not helping them promote local industries.

Tunisia comes to mind, among others.  They were never better because of high tariffs on finished products.  On the contrary, they fared worst because they became dependant on only some suppliers and could never get enough of a competitive advantage to develop.

The article you posted didn't suggest that bananageddon is a myth but over-hyped and still a concern though.

viper37

Quote from: PJL on March 25, 2024, 04:25:45 PM
Quote from: Josquius on March 22, 2024, 11:38:44 PM- the unfolding bananapocolypse
That is a myth though.

Rediscovering local varieties does not mean shutting off the borders to all foreign markets.  If you look at 3rd world countries that have high tariffs, this is actually hurting their economy, not helping them promote local industries.

Tunisia comes to mind, among others.  They were never better because of high tariffs on finished products.  On the contrary, they fared worst because they became dependant on only some suppliers and could never get enough of a competitive advantage to develop.

The article you posted didn't suggest that bananageddon is a myth but over-hyped and still a concern though.
It's a concern, but bananas aren't going extinct.  There is no apocalypse coming for this fruit.

And they aren't dying because of globalization, because we dropped tariffs on a specific variety of bananas.  It's more complicated than that.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

If they die well just puck another, like last time.

I don't like bananas,  so I'm good either way
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

That is a myth though.

I'm pro trade. As said this is a weird place to push those concerns- which suggests to me they're just looking for an excuse.

Reading this article of yours... it says its a myth that bananas will go extinct- which sounds way over the top and not something I took from anything I've ever read.
As the article itself says its not a myth that we already changed banana varieties in the 50s for the same reason and there's no immediate replacement to hand if the same happens to the backup we're now relying on.
The point is less whether this current outbreak is the one to fuck up the banana industry, and more that it is so vulnerable in the first place and we have a hefty chunk of human food reliant on vulnerable monocultures.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: HVC on March 25, 2024, 07:36:37 PMI don't like bananas,  so I'm good either way
:wacko:
How could you not like banana split!  Banana antibiotics!  Banana cakes!  Banana... everything!  :D

It's kiwis for me.  They could all die and I'd never notice nor miss these awful things.  :D
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

I had banana flavoured asthma medication as a kid. I liked it, but it tasted  super strong (myth that the artificial banana flavour tastes like the original cultivare, not the current one).

But in any regards its the banana texture I don't like. I have to eat it so unripe that sometimes it numbs my mouth, on the odd occasion I eat one :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.