NFL Week 5: If we have to pee in a cup, why can't presidential debate candidates

Started by CountDeMoney, October 16, 2016, 10:48:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Quote from: derspiess on October 24, 2016, 10:59:37 AM
Yep, seems dead simple in theory.  But sometimes you have a tablet that just decides to stop trying to communicate with the server.  Sometimes a service or process on the server hiccups or gets stuck and you have to restart it.  Sometimes you have two or three large NFL player bodies between the wifi antenna and tablet that interrupt the signal.  Sometimes early in the season the temperature is well into the 90s and you have tablets overheating.  Sometimes it rains cats and dogs and the supposedly waterproofed devices get soaked.  Sometimes there's a stadium power issue (that was the root cause of the two most publicized incidents last year).

We've found that the sweet spot is about 8 devices connected to the server; get above that and things start slowing down a bit. if you get the maximum allowed 13 devices out in circulation on the bench it can really strain the server.

For me most games are uneventful.  Occasionally I have to manually reconnect a "stuck" device or help with operator error-type situations, but most of the time I can catch most of the game as I'm monitoring my tablets.

But doesn't that seem like a product that wasn't designed as well as it should have been?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on October 24, 2016, 11:38:04 AM
Quote from: derspiess on October 24, 2016, 10:59:37 AM
Yep, seems dead simple in theory.  But sometimes you have a tablet that just decides to stop trying to communicate with the server.  Sometimes a service or process on the server hiccups or gets stuck and you have to restart it.  Sometimes you have two or three large NFL player bodies between the wifi antenna and tablet that interrupt the signal.  Sometimes early in the season the temperature is well into the 90s and you have tablets overheating.  Sometimes it rains cats and dogs and the supposedly waterproofed devices get soaked.  Sometimes there's a stadium power issue (that was the root cause of the two most publicized incidents last year).

We've found that the sweet spot is about 8 devices connected to the server; get above that and things start slowing down a bit. if you get the maximum allowed 13 devices out in circulation on the bench it can really strain the server.

For me most games are uneventful.  Occasionally I have to manually reconnect a "stuck" device or help with operator error-type situations, but most of the time I can catch most of the game as I'm monitoring my tablets.

But doesn't that seem like a product that wasn't designed as well as it should have been?

Again, you can design something that works great in a lab but falls apart in a practical situation.  Then you have MS, the league and DVSport butting heads on how best to design/fix things...
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: derspiess on October 24, 2016, 01:06:22 PM

Again, you can design something that works great in a lab but falls apart in a practical situation.  Then you have MS, the league and DVSport butting heads on how best to design/fix things...

Yeah, but the NFL is a multibillion dollar business. I'd have thought they (along with Microsoft) would have the kinks worked out before kickoff. An NFL stadium isn't a lab, but it isn't like they are trying to operate the tablets on the moon either.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

CountDeMoney

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on October 24, 2016, 02:25:25 PM
Yeah, but the NFL is a multibillion dollar business. I'd have thought they (along with Microsoft) would have the kinks worked out before kickoff. An NFL stadium isn't a lab, but it isn't like they are trying to operate the tablets on the moon either.

First of all, the still shot system works pretty well in general.  Most coaches seem happy with it and I am not aware of many other than Belichick who initially adopted the tablet and then went back to paper.  Anyway, yes there are some kinks, but they are not for a lack of resources dedicated by all three parties involved. 

Also, a cynical person might say the whole thing was just a way for MS to pay the league a bunch of money to get its logo permanently on the sideline.  Not me, but a cynical person.

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 24, 2016, 02:32:23 PM
How about you get right on that then, Dorsey.

This country used to be great. We stormed Omaha Beach, dropped atomic bombs on Asian people, and landed a dozen or two men on the men. Even that one time we failed to get our space ship to the moon we turned it into a pretty good Tom Hanks movie.

Now we can't get tablets to work on an NFL sideline. Okay, "the still shot system works pretty well in general" but there are "kinks". What would Neil Armstrong have said to that?

CountDeMoney

Neil Armstrong would've already unplugged the router for 30 seconds and plugged it back in.

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on October 24, 2016, 02:50:39 PM
Now we can't get tablets to work on an NFL sideline. Okay, "the still shot system works pretty well in general" but there are "kinks". What would Neil Armstrong have said to that?

https://blogs.windows.com/devices/2016/10/21/surface-and-the-nfl-changing-the-game/#wblPssadrzsWH4t1.97

No further comments  :shutup:

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

I think I'm done with the NFL. The product sucks, the broadcasters suck and the commissioner can eat a dick.

Bleh.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive